Best type of suspension system?

Jeephusky

I’m in the process of doing a frame up overhaul of my TJ, and I’ve hit a wall…. What type of suspension do I put on it?

I’m currently in a toss up between a long arm system and savvy’s mid arm system, but I can’t decide. I’d probably have a better idea of what to get if I had worked on a car or truck prior to this.

Does anyone have any experience racing TJs? If so, what type of suspension did you go with?
I plan on turning this into a Jeepspeed TJ, as well as use it for basic off roading.

Any info would be great, thanks! :)

What is it about a long arm vs Savvy mid arm that has you still undecided?

In a racing context or any context, are you more concerned about preserving caster throughout the suspension travel or preserving the pinion angle.

I’m currently in a toss up between a long arm system and savvy’s mid arm system, but I can’t decide.
toss the idea of a long arm system into the trash

a TJU with the Savvy midarm won the King of the Hammers EMC a few years in a row

I plan on turning this into a Jeepspeed TJ
Not that I'm familiar with Jeepspeed but isn't the TJ a little short on wheelbase for go-fast stuff?

Straight from savvy’s website. Do we need to say anymore ?

“Savvy Mid Arm Kit is based on our race winning overall King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge LJ. The kit was design to offer maximum clearance in the rocks while still maintaining an OEM feel geometry. Fast in the desert and nimble in rocks!”

Of course it was on a Lj but you get the point.

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sma-kit/

• Love
Reactions: RINC and L J
What class do you plan to run? Here is the suspension requirement for the 1700 and 2700 Class.

4.1.3.3 Any manufacturer suspension mass produced kits, parts and components from our approved list of vendors may be used provided it has a part number and is readily available to the general public. Kit components must be installed per manufacturer’s instructions. Sub frames or relocation brackets are permitted and may be welded in place after installation per manufacturer’s instructions. Suspension brackets and components may be strengthened by adding material. Bushing, Johnny Joints, Heims may be replaced or upgraded. Components from differing suppliers can be used on one vehicle. Manufacturers are to contact Jeepspeed for approval. Must use suspension kit or components from a Jeepspeed approved manufacturer. Companies currently approved include Currie Ent., Skyjacker, Rusty’s Off Road, Rubicon Express, Full Traction, Poly Performance, Fabtech, T&J Performance, Jeepspeed Products, Rancho, ZONE off road, Rough Country, TrailMaster, ProComp, BDS, Rock Krawler, Nth Degree, Clayton Off Road, Teraflex, Radflo, King, Icon, Fox, Bilstein, Synergy MFG. American Motorsports, Swayaway, Arteck. Genright.. ...NOTE, other manufacturers are encouraged to apply for approval

What is it about a long arm vs Savvy mid arm that has you still undecided?

Mainly the 3 link vs 4 link? But based on other responses, Savvy is the winner, hands down.

n a racing context or any context, are you more concerned about preserving caster throughout the suspension travel or preserving the pinion angle.
That's probably what I'm most confused about...... This is my first time doing anything with my Wrangler in the 22 years that ive owned it, or car related for that matter.
Not that I'm familiar with Jeepspeed but isn't the TJ a little short on wheelbase for go-fast stuff?
I currently plan on riding for a year to test it, and then tearing it back down to the frame and extending it to LJ length if I need to. I could do it now since I'm down to the frame, but id rather save money where I can at the moment.
What class do you plan to run?
I'm forced to go 3700 since I'm running a 5.3L V8 in my TJ :) And suspension is open for that class.

Reactions: L J and lulzpwndyah
Straight from savvy’s website. Do we need to say anymore ?

“Savvy Mid Arm Kit is based on our race winning overall King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge LJ. The kit was design to offer maximum clearance in the rocks while still maintaining an OEM feel geometry. Fast in the desert and nimble in rocks!”

Of course it was on a Lj but you get the point.

https://savvyoffroad.com/product/sma-kit/
First off I’m not knocking the savvy kit( I’d like to try one) but going to their website and looking at their review of their product.. that’s laughable to me. Who’s gonna say nothing but great things about their own products??

First off I’m not knocking the savvy kit( I’d like to try one) but going to their website and looking at their review of their product.. that’s laughable to me. Who’s gonna say nothing but great things about their own pro
To bring some context to their statement you need to understand John Currie and Gerald have the $$$$$
to bring a very well prepared car and have spent hundreds of hours running Hammer Trails. Who would you expect to win? You can’t just show up on race day with a Shit Box and zero time on the trails and expect to win.
Will the suspension alone make anybody a winner I don’t think so.

Last edited:
First off I’m not knocking the savvy kit( I’d like to try one) but going to their website and looking at their review of their product.. that’s laughable to me. Who’s gonna say nothing but great things about their own products??
Perfect. Here, have some arms and brackets, you figure out if they work or not.

What class do you plan to run? Here is the suspension requirement for the 1700 and 2700 Class.

4.1.3.3 Any manufacturer suspension mass produced kits, parts and components from our approved list of vendors may be used provided it has a part number and is readily available to the general public. Kit components must be installed per manufacturer’s instructions. Sub frames or relocation brackets are permitted and may be welded in place after installation per manufacturer’s instructions. Suspension brackets and components may be strengthened by adding material. Bushing, Johnny Joints, Heims may be replaced or upgraded. Components from differing suppliers can be used on one vehicle. Manufacturers are to contact Jeepspeed for approval. Must use suspension kit or components from a Jeepspeed approved manufacturer. Companies currently approved include Currie Ent., Skyjacker, Rusty’s Off Road, Rubicon Express, Full Traction, Poly Performance, Fabtech, T&J Performance, Jeepspeed Products, Rancho, ZONE off road, Rough Country, TrailMaster, ProComp, BDS, Rock Krawler, Nth Degree, Clayton Off Road, Teraflex, Radflo, King, Icon, Fox, Bilstein, Synergy MFG. American Motorsports, Swayaway, Arteck. Genright.. ...NOTE, other manufacturers are encouraged to apply for approval
Wonder why Savvy is not on the list?

Also why write it up this way " Any manufacturer suspension mass produced kits, parts and components from our approved list of vendors may be used". What is the point of a list if you can use any manufacturer ?

Wonder why Savvy is not on the list?

Also why write it up this way " Any manufacturer suspension mass produced kits, parts and components from our approved list of vendors may be used". What is the point of a list if you can use any manufacturer ?
Maybe you should submit for the Savvy Kit to be approved and let us know how it goes.

I would suspect that the lower classes are entry level and requiring a manufactured kit is a way to keep the costs down and keep a somewhat level playing field.

Last edited:
If you're serious about jeepspeed you should be on a site that focuses on that.

Let me get this straight, you've never "worked on a car or truck prior to this," and you're going to start by building a race car?

• Haha
Reactions: TRE3TOP
If you're serious about jeepspeed you should be on a site that focuses on tha
Heck no, stay here! I want to see a jeepspeed build and I love incorporating race tech into consumer grade (ie savvy midarm).

Let me get this straight, you've never "worked on a car or truck prior to this," and you're going to start by building a race car?
I say go for it, build once cry once but likely for a very long time. If you know you want a race capable rig then best to build it that way from beginning. And break out the checkbook.

Reactions: limitz and jjvw