Best under armor?

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
if you could buy just one piece of armor for ur tj what would it be? It could be a certain
skid plate, rocker guards, diff cover, but just one piece

20210529_213830.jpg

Last edited:
Those are great pieces. What's crazy about this question is the $$$ is way different for these pieces. A diff cover is relatively cheap compared to rocker guards or TCase skid and Engine skid.

Truth is, we already have a TCase and GTS stock. If it's the 03-06' then the GTS is 3/16" (EDIT: 10 gauge manufactured but stretches to 0.90'ish”) and very durable. It can be tucked 1.25" if one has a 1.25" BL. I have one if anyone wants it.

Diff covers are important, rocker guards are important.

If someone is wanting to tuck the TCase skid, then the Savvy MUA is admirable.

Last edited:
if this is nail polish get your pretty diff cover, it's the only thing anyone might see.

if you plan to wheel it you NEED belly skids and WANT rocker guards.
and b4 you worry about diff covers worry about that beer can bumper nobody can pull you from.

Those are great pieces. What's crazy about this question is the $$$ is way different for these pieces. A diff cover is relatively cheap compared to rocker guards or TCase skid and Engine skid.

Truth is, we already have a TCase and GTS stock. If it's the 03-06' then the GTS is 3/16" and very durable. It can be tucked 1.25" if one has a 1.25" BL.
If the stock GTS was 3/16" thick, it would weigh about twice what it does. It is nowhere near that thick.
Diff covers are important, rocker guards are important.

If someone is wanting to tuck the TCase skid, then the Savvy MUA is admirable.

If the stock GTS was 3/16" thick, it would weigh about twice what it does. It is nowhere near that thick.
Corrected to 10gauge/0.133”

Re-Corrected to claims on the interwebs to be manufactured with 10 gauge but stretches to 0.09'ish. Thickness varies throughout the skid...see other posts for more...still sufficient for most people's wheelin' habits

Last edited:
Corrected to 10gauge/0.133”
I checked several that I have. The thickest part is the rear flange at .090 and areas with access that I could get the calipers on further away from the flange moved down to .082 in places. That would be about right for stretching the metal in a deep draw forming process. I can section one into several pieces to find the thinnest area at the corners and where the formed ribs are if anyone needs that info. All we really need to know is the thickest area is at the top and thinnest will be where it stretched the most. The thinnest areas are where the forming of the shape, ribs and curved corners is the strongest so that is really a non issue.

Reactions: JMT
I checked several that I have. The thickest part is the rear flange at .090 and areas with access that I could get the calipers on further away from the flange moved down to .082 in places. That would be about right for stretching the metal in a deep draw forming process. I can section one into several pieces to find the thinnest area at the corners and where the formed ribs are if anyone needs that info. All we really need to know is the thickest area is at the top and thinnest will be where it stretched the most. The thinnest areas are where the forming of the shape, ribs and curved corners is the strongest so that is really a non issue.
Would that amount of difference be reasonable in the manufacturing process (stretching), if they started with 10 gauge?

Corrected again...🤣

Would that amount of difference be reasonable in the manufacturing process (stretching), if they started with 10 gauge?

Corrected again...🤣
Not really. The flanges are not going to stretch much since they are at the top of the die. They may even thicken due to how the excess material gets bunched up and then the press will flatten them back out.

This is a rough idea although the material would move around differently due to the difference in stainless and regular steel. Note the tonnage, how much they clamp the flange, and how much it still moves around. The rim around the press clamps the flange in place and then the die moves up to shape the bowl.

Not really. The flanges are not going to stretch much since they are at the top of the die. They may even thicken due to how the excess material gets bunched up and then the press will flatten them back out.

This is a rough idea although the material would move around differently due to the difference in stainless and regular steel. Note the tonnage, how much they clamp the flange, and how much it still moves around. The rim around the press clamps the flange in place and then the die moves up to shape the bowl.

Very cool. 1,000 ton press! Interesting that by stretching stainless it strengthens it. Stretching a second time strengthens it more. So, thinner, but stronger.