Best visual tire size on LJ?

I have 35” KM3’s on mine now but I’d really like a set of KO2’s 34x10.50’s next time around

I wish they made KM3's in that size. I don't know why, but those sizes in between 33 and 35 seem to always be load range E in MT, while there are a few options in C and D in an All-Terrain (Open Country AT and Ridge Grapplers in 285/75R17 are C)

hey what axles are you running on your rig? or if you have a build list that would be sweet, ive got a lift, wheels, fenders, haven’t put them on yet and trying to decide the rest of my build!! thanks man!
It’s a Dana 60 up front, and a full float, 35 spline 9” in the rear. Clayton 4” long arm plus a 1” body lift. Genright armor and fenders. Kinda wish I went hiline fenders as it’d make the upgrade to 40’s easier, but I may stay at 37’s As it works pretty well as Is.
D857F8A0-D8F2-4D6D-B8A0-277888FD4CB5.jpeg

Not sure, maybe it’s the difference in front bumper size?

I agree with this. My Jeep took on a whole new look when I ditched the full width bumper for the Warn stubby. I probably wouldn't have done the MCE fenders if I'd had the bumper first.

It’s a Dana 60 up front, and a full float, 35 spline 9” in the rear. Clayton 4” long arm plus a 1” body lift. Genright armor and fenders. Kinda wish I went hiline fenders as it’d make the upgrade to 40’s easier, but I may stay at 37’s As it works pretty well as Is.
View attachment 194776
Great looking Jeep and why did you quit working for Howard Stern? (AKA Bababooey)

Last edited:
I wish they made KM3's in that size. I don't know why, but those sizes in between 33 and 35 seem to always be load range E in MT, while there are a few options in C and D in an All-Terrain (Open Country AT and Ridge Grapplers in 285/75R17 are C)
Most people that want a big tire, don't want a skinny one. That's why very few companies make 34, 35" tires in the tiny 10.5" width. Most 15" options are C rated. The metric size tires go with stiff sidewalls for the heavy vehicles that usually run them. For what it's worth, all 35" BFG tires are 34" or less.

Reactions: DuncLJ
So would you guys go 31 / 32 / or 33's on this LJ?

Currently has a 2" OME lift with 30" tires. Willing to add a body lift to clear 33's if needed.

Honestly it's really just an esthetic thing for me, as even the 30" tires do what I need them to.

But the 30's just look too small with the lift on there.

View attachment 90241
33's for sure. I really don't think they start looking awesome till you get to 37's, but being where you are, 33's.

Most people that want a big tire, don't want a skinny one. That's why very few companies make 34, 35" tires in the tiny 10.5" width. Most 15" options are C rated. The metric size tires go with stiff sidewalls for the heavy vehicles that usually run them. For what it's worth, all 35" BFG tires are 34" or less.

Yep. 35/12.5/15 BFG KM3's, right after mounting them.

20200211_182446.jpg

Yep. 35/12.5/15 BFG KM3's, right after mounting them.

View attachment 194804

This is a personal pet peeve of mine everyone always talks bad about BFG’s saying once they are on a vehicle they don’t measure 35”. (Edit: Not saying you are or calling you out, it just seems like I see this on forums all the time, just quoted you for reference)

@jjvw just posted a pic of his brand new MTR’s and they are not 35” either.
81C1D881-A3C3-4104-A10A-08DE698EECAD.jpeg

@Alex01 measured his recently and they weren’t either.

Does anyone actually have a tire that measured 35” once mounted on a wheel, that is advertised as a 35? Seems to me they all measure 34ish inches.

And when we are talking on a forum saying “do this much lift to fit 35’s” we are talking about tires advertised as 35” not literally 35” when measured on a vehicle.

My ideal tire is something relatively light weight for an MT, C rated, that will allow more than the 3.75" backspacing to keep as close as possible to a stock scrub radius. I currently run a 32x11.5 on 5.25 BS wheels and the steering is comparable to a brand new factory TJ and I like that.

Nitto makes a C rated Trail Grappler in 35x11.5x17, but it weighs about 10 pounds more per tire than most of the 35x12.50 I've looked into, somewhat defeating the purpose, and I don't know enough about them to commit to their price plus buy a set of 17" wheels in an offset that wouldn't work for a 12.5. Interco makes some C rated 34x10.5 and 35x10.5 but...Interco.

In comparing section width I've found that even within the same size, there's a lot of variation. In 35x12.5R15, a Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 or a Dick Cepek Extreme Country are 12.2" wide, while a Baja Boss or any of Maxxis' offerings are 13" or more. BFG publishes a true 12.5". That's probably what I'll end up with, with 1.25" spacers with my current wheels for an effective 4" BS.

Last edited:
So would you guys go 31 / 32 / or 33's on this LJ?

Currently has a 2" OME lift with 30" tires. Willing to add a body lift to clear 33's if needed.

Honestly it's really just an esthetic thing for me, as even the 30" tires do what I need them to.

But the 30's just look too small with the lift on there.

View attachment 90241
Here’s what my TJ looks like with 12.50/33 BFG All Terrain T/A KOs on 15”/10” Dick Cepek steel wheels & 3” (or maybe 4”) skyjacker lift. This is the way I bought it 3 weeks ago.
‘Hope this helps you decide.

AFA8582E-49C4-4533-887F-48B32DAAE69B.jpeg

This is a personal pet peeve of mine everyone always talks bad about BFG’s saying once they are on a vehicle they don’t measure 35”. (Edit: Not saying you are or calling you out, it just seems like I see this on forums all the time, just quoted you for reference)

@jjvw just posted a pic of his brand new MTR’s and they are not 35” either.
View attachment 194809

@Alex01 measured his recently and they weren’t either.

Does anyone actually have a tire that measured 35” once mounted on a wheel, that is advertised as a 35? Seems to me they all measure 34ish inches.

And when we are talking on a forum saying “do this much lift to fit 35’s” we are talking about tires advertised as 35” not literally 35” when measured on a vehicle.
Maxxis Razr 35x12 is 34.8"
Maxxis Razr 33x12.5 is 32.9"
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 33x12.5 is 33.09"

Also, remember, that with the tires mounted, they are smushing, so measure the vertical diameter and then the horizontal diameter and take the average.

Here’s what my TJ looks like with 12.50/33 BFG All Terrain T/A KOs on 15”/10” Dick Cepek steel wheels & 3” (or maybe 4”) skyjacker lift. This is the way I bought it 3 weeks ago.
‘Hope this helps you decide.

View attachment 194812
That's a beautiful Jeep. Please get rid of the white gas cap cover or paint it black with SEM Trim. That would really make your TJ!

Maxxis Razr 35x12 is 34.8"
Maxxis Razr 33x12.5 is 32.9"
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 33x12.5 is 33.09"

Also, remember, that with the tires mounted, they are smushing, so measure the vertical diameter and then the horizontal diameter and take the average.

Are those off of the companies website?

Do you have a photo of them mounted on a Jeep with a tape measure on the side? That’s the measurements everyone is always bad mouthing BFG about.

It’s just a pet peeve because I have not personally seen a advertised 35 when measured that way that is not 34ish inches. I just always hear that BFG’s are tiny look at this. MTR’s are a TRUE 35 but as seen in this thread they are both 34ish inches.

Not saying you are or calling you out, it just seems like I see this on forums all the time, just quoted you for reference.
Nothing taken personally on this side at all. My point of showing the measurement was simply to show the actual mounted height of the 35" KM3's. If anything, just a basis as which to compare other similar size tires.

Last edited: