Best way to carry 10 gallons of gas outside the Jeep?

I would just ratchet strap it where ever you feel comfortable doing so if you don't care how it looks.

I've never liked Rotopax even with a water spout. They pour too slowly and I always ended up with gas on myself.

Interior space may be at a premium.

Thankfully not. Hotels each night. So only a couple of backpacks with clothes and a cooler.

I don't like the idea of that much weight bouncing around.

It's one leg, I'd use the hitch carrier and two inexpensive gas cans. They will be empty all the time except for the one leg and that's not going to be a big issue unless your hitch isn't rated for about 150 lbs. I wouldn't overthink it, you can probably even drop or buy the cans on the way at each end of the segment. They are maybe $24 each on Amazon? I'd only do rotopax if you already have them or if somebody donates them to you.

I'm not familiar enough with the area to risk that.

Pre run the trail and stash the cans along the trail…… lol

You're hired!

mad-max-big-rig-p02-fe1e.jpg

You need a tank trailer!

In all seriousness, maybe have a way to lock it up? That's $50 plus in fuel these days.

If I can use VP Racing/dump style jugs I'll reuse them in the future.

I'm playing around with a few hitch ideas and welding a shelf directly to it. Anyone have one they'd sell for cheap?

[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GO93I8/?tag=wranglerorg-20[/URL]

I'm pretty sure I have a receiver hitch frame I took off of my Jeep. Peeling powder coat. cheap to free price range.
I'll check when I get home tonight, I need to get out the door for work right now.
I don't know exactly where you are at, but I think I might be what's considered close, for up here anyway.
I'll get back to you tonight.

Reactions: toximus
Winter does not sound as fun.
Plus my '04 WJ (which I thought would make a better rally car than my LJ) became my daily driver again.
I doubt it will last till 2026.

There may be a last minute opening for this summer if you're interested.

@toximus what solution did you finally decide on?

I haven't created it yet, but planning on welding a shelf to the receiver from @J.Pierce and moving the spare tire into the back. I'll then ratchet strap a pair of dump cans on the back. Gas is just so expensive it's almost a wash buying new vs paying for gas to go pick it up. So waiting until either gas is cheaper or one of us is closer to each other anyway.

This solution is really just specific to this trip and I'd probably do it differently if I were planning on using this long term or on a different trip.