Best way to carry 10 gallons of gas outside the Jeep?

Don't you read the rules? You are going to be shot at during the rally.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Man, I’d love to do that rally in my rig - but to make it between fuel stops I think I’d have to figure out how to carry about 100 gallons…

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Rear bumper isn't compatible so I took it off since this will be temporary. I think I said it before, but if I were to be making this for long term use I'd be doing things differently.

20220812_182551.jpg

Test fit.

20220812_190503.jpg

I'm going to have to angle my shelf up a few degrees since it only points more down once there's junk in the trunk.

20220812_190511.jpg

Reactions: J.Pierce
I'm strongly considering bringing 15 extra gallons instead of 10. I don't have to fill them all, but this way if I find that MPG is worse than expected I'll have it. The empty weight is minimal.

The middle can is made by LC2 which is similar to the BP Racing cans and has been one of my favorites, but I found these Hunsaker dump cans that I think will spill even less. I didn't mind paying a little more for nicer cans since I'll be using them for years to come.

20220812_194505.jpg

Track your mileage, this is an easy run. Extra gas will be for other people which isn't a bad thing but you don't need more than what they suggest.

Track your mileage, this is an easy run. Extra gas will be for other people which isn't a bad thing but you don't need more than what they suggest.

There's no set suggestion other than this known 295 mile span. 10 gallons leaves a spare 24 mile range which isn't much if I idle at construction (several bridges are out up there) or make a wrong turn and end up a couple miles down it before noticing.

I'd run 295 with a single 5 gallon can and not be worried at all, that's plenty of range for my Jeep. I don't know your mileage but if you do the math then keep it simple. Those numbers give me almost 50 miles extra with 19.5+5 but like I said, I don't know your Jeep. Do the math and personally I wouldn't pad the numbers. With 20 miles for safety I wouldn't worry, there will be other people. Unless your mileage is really poor maybe 10 extra is okay. All I'm suggesting is do the math and don't overdo it.