Best Wrangler TJ years?

00 and 01 models have the 0331 head, which is prone to cracking. Most don't, but enough do that it's a known problem. Didn't stop me from buying my 2000 5-speed Sahara, which had my favorite color scheme of any TJ—green with tan interior—but I monitor my coolant like a hawk. I can get a TUPY head for $450, so not too concerned. Other years have their problems, too, from cracking exhaust manifolds on 97-99, OPDA on 05 and 06, potentially overblown PCM problems on auto 05 and 06s. Generally, if you want a manual, avoid the 6-speed on the 05 and 06; it's a total dog. The 3-speed auto before 2003 is probably the best transmission, but the 4-speed is serviceable as long as you keep it cool.
I also have the infamous 0331 head. No issue so far at 106k. Just like you I'm not overly concerned.
Get what ever year TJ you can find in the best condition with the lowest price. If you're going to do a lot of rock crawling get an auto. If you plan on going off road a lot spend a bit extra now and get a Rubicon so you can save some money down the road. Also, if you're looking for a non Rubicon check to see if it has a dana 44.

Reactions: Sancho
It will honestly be just a road princess. At least that’s what I have in mind at the moment. I’m sure at some point when I find the area to do it I’d go off-roading but really don’t want to be doing that to my daily. But I’ll def look for 5 speeds hearing that seems like 2000-04 seem like the best years to consider.

It will honestly be just a road princess. At least that’s what I have in mind at the moment. I’m sure at some point when I find the area to do it I’d go off-roading but really don’t want to be doing that to my daily. But I’ll def look for 5 speeds hearing that seems like 2000-04 seem like the best years to consider.

The 5-speed AX-15 in the 97-99 models is fine, too. Some argue it's even better than the 5-speed in the 2000-2004. But being in New York, I guarantee your No. 1 issue is going to be rust.

The 5-speed AX-15 in the 97-99 models is fine, too. Some argue it's even better than the 5-speed in the 2000-2004. But being in New York, I guarantee your No. 1 issue is going to be rust.
Oh yes 100% that’s why I was considering that 06 that I posted a link to. I also could go to nc as I have family there but looking online I’ve not been finding as many there.

That’s something I’m def looking for I want to do my own build. Also def want one rust free which is making me really look at that 06 I posted a link to. It’s honestly the cleanest one I have found and I have been searching everyday now for like 2 months on all the car websites. But it seems to be a little over priced and it seems more people at least on YouTube I’m seeing a lot more of the 5 speed over the 6 which got me thinking is there something wrong with having the 6?

I have a manual 05 with 6 speed. Love it.

There are pros and cons to each transmission... and people use the vehicle for different purposes, so everything is subjective.

Go for the 06 if you like it.. just check the OPDA for wear... and also listen for it on a cold start.

Search 05/06 opda issues, or screaming monkies to see what I am talking about.

I have a manual 05 with 6 speed. Love it.

There are pros and cons to each transmission... and people use the vehicle for different purposes, so everything is subjective.

Go for the 06 if you like it.. just check the OPDA for wear... and also listen for it on a cold start.

Search 05/06 opda issues, or screaming monkies to see what I am talking about.
What would be the con of the 6 speed over the 5 besides that opda problem which seems to be fixable?

What would be the con of the 6 speed over the 5 besides that opda problem which seems to be fixable?

No major cons .. a positive is the 6 speed will have a lower 1st gear. Also OPDA is not related to the transmission, but relevant to 05/06 jeeps.

Someone check me on this... but the 05/06 manual transmission was carried into the jks. Also, the transmission was sourced and built by Mercedes in Germany. I think that transmission was used in Mercedes trucks.

I am happy with it.. and it is reliable enough to carry over to the JKs.

Underlining point though... the differences between the years are minor. Let rust, price, and features be your main focus. And seat patterns!

Last edited:
Hey I’m currently really thinking about getting a tj. I would like a sport out of any of them and has to be manual and really want a yellow one as it’s my favorite color. I really like the 01-02 I think for the fact of the interior I love those fancy triangle seats. I’m not sure if anyone knows if they could be purchased new anywhere and put in a different year? I don’t want that to be a deciding factor of which year to get. I’m currently deployed for a couple more months so I’m not in a rush at the moment. Trying to get the most amount of information as possible. This will be a daily driven car but I would like a really clean one with under 80k miles really even lower then that if possible. Thank you for any kind of info I can get!
This one is in Philly, low miles, not rusted:
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/philadelphia-jeep-wrangler-tj-only-80k/6860452766.html

That yellow 06 is very very similar to what my 05 was when I bought it last July. 52K miles. Very clean, rust free except where the transfer case mounts to the frame which I understand they all have. Its been in FL the whole time. I paid a few thousand less than they are asking and it had new wheels/tires on it that I am very happy with.

Yo
That yellow 06 is very very similar to what my 05 was when I bought it last July. 52K miles. Very clean, rust free except where the transfer case mounts to the frame which I understand they all have. Its been in FL the whole time. I paid a few thousand less than they are asking and it had new wheels/tires on it that I am very happy with.
you think that’s a fair price for what it is or am I better off passing on it and just looking for something else? I feel like 17k for a 06 is a little steep but I don’t know.

Yo

you think that’s a fair price for what it is or am I better off passing on it and just looking for something else? I feel like 17k for a 06 is a little steep but I don’t know.
Sometimes I feel like I overpaid for mine but then I simply remind myself that I probably would have spent over 3K on wheels/tires and would have likely bought the exact same set that the PO bought. Oh and it had a new frameless soft top also, another $600. That yellow 06 has been for sale for quite a while so the market thinks it is too high.

Sometimes I feel like I overpaid for mine but then I simply remind myself that I probably would have spent over 3K on wheels/tires and would have likely bought the exact same set that the PO bought. Oh and it had a new frameless soft top also, another $600. That yellow 06 has been for sale for quite a while so the market thinks it is too high.
Very true I keep trying to get them to go down to more of market price which seems to be more like 12-15k. I'm in no rush at the moment since I'm still deployed but it would be nice to have something waiting for me.

I
Thank you for your service.
If this one was silver I would jump on it. An unlimited for 15.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ponte-vedra-beach-jeep-wrangler/6866009420.html
Its def clean but I couldn’t do it for the fact that it’s auto.The thing that really draws me to these wranglers is the fact that they are super easy to find manual with low miles.I just love driving manual and driving all autos here I’m super over it and ready to go back to manual when I get home.

I just bought an 02 earlier this winter & have been enjoying going thru the mechanicals, adding a few mods, driving it to work occasionally & taking it out wheelin on the weekends.
I couldn't cover up those plaid seats soon enough. I guess it's just taste. They are in good shape, just dated IMO. A new set of tweed seat covers from Caltrends.com will protect them for a long time to come.
Overall it seems to be in descent shape, although the previous owner has replaced the rear diff, gears & transfer case in it's 115k mile life. And it lived it's entire life between Washington & Colorado so not a lick of rust underneath.
Good luck with your search. Enjoy it & keep us informed how it goes.

View attachment 88611
If you weren’t so far I’d ask to swap seats lol mine are all black and I happen to love the plaid seats! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Airjunky
My first 2006 was an auto. My current 2006 is a 6 speed. I never had issues with either. I personally like the manual. Mine has the Dana 44 which may make the manual more enjoyable

Thanks for your service.

Reactions: Matt31ny
"Best Wrangler TJ years?"

Totally a subjective question that will (and is) get personal opinions. The best one to own is the one you do for what ever reason you bought it. Personally I like the LJ which limited my choices to 04 - 06. Some believe certain models are less desirable for different reasons but when a part goes bad replace it and move on. But again you have asked a subjective question that cannot yield an objective answer. So first decide what you are looking for in a jeep and go from there. For me the best years are 04 to 06 only because those are the years the LJ is available. Of those the best is 05 because that is the year I have. See what I mean? Please don't ask which is the best color. :rolleyes:

you won't find any love for the 6-speed here or anywhere else
With all due respect this is not true at all. I have an 05 LJ with 6 speed Manual, currently has 91K on it with absolutely no issues. In fact other than routine items my 05 has preformed perfectly and I only began to spend coin on it when I decided to install the OME lift.

Reactions: Sancho and Matt31ny
I'd be happy with any '97 to '04 TJ. I especially like 98-02 since you can get them with the awesome 32RH automatic transmission which is nearly bulletproof and great for harder trails.

I finally experienced the difference in the 3 speed and 4 speed auto trans. I have an '04 with the 4 speed and it is a bit of a dog. My daughter has a '99 XJ with the 3 speed and I drove it the other day and man is that thing responsive. I was shocked and jealous.