Best Wrangler TJ years?

With all due respect this is not true at all. I have an 05 LJ with 6 speed Manual, currently has 91K on it with absolutely no issues. In fact other than routine items my 05 has preformed perfectly and I only began to spend coin on it when I decided to install the OME lift.

Fair enough. Glad to hear that you haven't had any problems so far. I'm sure that with other known TJ issues, from the 0331 head to the PCM problems, the rate of failure is overstated on the forums. That said, there does seem to be a higher prevalence of problems—particularly popping out of gear— with that 6-speed transmission compared to the 5-speeds. At that end of the day it's all anecdotal, but if one were to choose which model Wrangler to buy solely based on preferring a manual, I think most would choose the 5-speed.

Reactions: Hotrodbud
I finally experienced the difference in the 3 speed and 4 speed auto trans. I have an '04 with the 4 speed and it is a bit of a dog. My daughter has a '99 XJ with the 3 speed and I drove it the other day and man is that thing responsive. I was shocked and jealous.
The '99 XJ uses the 4-speed AW4 transmission. It's likely the improvement in performance you experienced with her XJ is hers likely has small tires. While yours has a 4.88 axle ratio with 33's that's still not going to produce great acceleration.

"Best Wrangler TJ years?"

Totally a subjective question that will (and is) get personal opinions. The best one to own is the one you do for what ever reason you bought it. Personally I like the LJ which limited my choices to 04 - 06. Some believe certain models are less desirable for different reasons but when a part goes bad replace it and move on. But again you have asked a subjective question that cannot yield an objective answer. So first decide what you are looking for in a jeep and go from there. For me the best years are 04 to 06 only because those are the years the LJ is available. Of those the best is 05 because that is the year I have. See what I mean? Please don't ask which is the best color. :rolleyes:

With all due respect this is not true at all. I have an 05 LJ with 6 speed Manual, currently has 91K on it with absolutely no issues. In fact other than routine items my 05 has preformed perfectly and I only began to spend coin on it when I decided to install the OME lift.
Obv best color is yellow 😂😂

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Versatility is a great attribute of TJs. The only thing that my 03 manual won't find me doing is getting caught in SoCal stop and crawl traffic. I'd need a knee replacement in the first hour. If I ever get an upgrade, it will be an automatic. It's not a DD, so there's no real risk, but you never know.

The '99 XJ uses the 4-speed AW4 transmission. It's likely the improvement in performance you experienced with her XJ is hers likely has small tires. While yours has a 4.88 axle ratio with 33's that's still not going to produce great acceleration.

Yep, I just got back from running an errand and I said to myself I bet it's my tires... lol.

The TJs are actually comfortable to drive and ride in....well mine is....it has a 1.75 inch lift ...comfortable h&r german coils and bilstein shocks. Nice comfomfortable ride.
I dynamatted the interior to keep noise to a minimum. New exhaust from cats to the tail with oem quiet muffler.
Its not my dd but i can drive it all weekend long to the beach, mountains etc and not be completely worn out.
Its quite capable with a winch/synthetic and locked front and back.
Did you use the dynamat sparingly or did you line the floor with it? I have a box of the stuff and was thinking of lining the front passenger and trans area. I'm mainly looking to reduce heat and don't care so much about noise. Mine is not a daily driver either and it only leaves the garage in the spring and summer months.

Did you use the dynamat sparingly or did you line the floor with it? I have a box of the stuff and was thinking of lining the front passenger and trans area. I'm mainly looking to reduce heat and don't care so much about noise. Mine is not a daily driver either and it only leaves the garage in the spring and summer months.
I mainly did the rear passenger area and cargo area. The stuff I used was not actually dynamat, I just used that term generically, like kleenex. The stuff I use was noico off amazon.
I dont have any issues with heat.
It did help with road noise and around the muffler area.
You can see pics on my build thread.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jimsmith29841s-2004-jeep-wrangler-sport.18050/

Last edited:
Reactions: Hook_62
I would definitely check this out a bit more. A CARFAX will reveal quite a bit but if it comes up clean and you check this out in person that is a fair price. Don't know about the title issue but if I had not just bought one I would have checked this one out. It helps to have cold hard cash when buying.
Agree! if I was still looking for one, this would be on the check it out list. One look at the pic's,,, has a rear Dana 44, not listed in add.

I have 06 Rubicon with 6 speed. No issues. 1st is pretty low. I take off in second and use 1st when I don’t need to be in low range or taking off on an incline.
same. First is low plus the 4.10 ratio. Unless on a grade, I regularly start in second also.
Might be on a different topic cuz I do this in 2HI.

In 4LO, I often start off in 3rd.

I have a 2006 yellow TJ with the auto and dana 44 and love it. No trouble of any kind so far but still only has 64k miles. I paid 11,500 for mine on the west coast with 57k miles. 17k does seem high.

I have a 2006 yellow TJ with the auto and dana 44 and love it. No trouble of any kind so far but still only has 64k miles. I paid 11,500 for mine on the west coast with 57k miles. 17k does seem high.
Dang that’s a really great deal that’s def what I’m looking more for and I’d be giving up my super clean mustang for it so I really want a clean one.

Mine was stickered at 16,500. I gave 14,100. 06 Rubicon hardtop

4AF6A52A-F9EF-4169-9C93-2F0E61B08946.jpeg

BBABFDB3-5583-48B4-8B74-0B41F7FE86EB.jpeg

Hey I’m currently really thinking about getting a tj. I would like a sport out of any of them and has to be manual and really want a yellow one as it’s my favorite color. I really like the 01-02 I think for the fact of the interior I love those fancy triangle seats. I’m not sure if anyone knows if they could be purchased new anywhere and put in a different year? I don’t want that to be a deciding factor of which year to get. I’m currently deployed for a couple more months so I’m not in a rush at the moment. Trying to get the most amount of information as possible. This will be a daily driven car but I would like a really clean one with under 80k miles really even lower then that if possible. Thank you for any kind of info I can get!
My neighbor just put a sign in his 2001 tj white or off white, tan hardtop automatic transmission, 81,000 miles he bought from original owner. Very nice looking. I would be happy to refer you or get additional information for you. I am in central Florida

Th
My neighbor just put a sign in his 2001 tj white or off white, tan hardtop automatic transmission, 81,000 miles he bought from original owner. Very nice looking. I would be happy to refer you or get additional information for you. I am in central Florida
thanks for looking out but I’m really set on a manual