Bestop Confusion - Black Diamond & Black Diamond Sailcloth

AutoCrat

TJ Enthusiast
Just stumbled across this highly confusing information on various websites including “Bestop”. Bestop “Replace A Top“ for my 2004 Wrangler TJ lists 2 different part numbers with the same price. Both says “Black Diamond” but one also says “Sailcloth” however there is no difference in price so are they both “Sailcloth Material” but just the difference in Window Tint?

Bestop Part #: 5112835
Bestop Part #: 7912935

Experts please confirm what is the difference between them specially in fabric if any.

Thanks

A customer service guy from “Bestop” says they both are sailcloth difference is just the window tint. I know he still could be wrong. Any experts here can confirm if “Black Diamond - 51128-35) is in fact made of “Sailcloth” material. I am about to pull the trigger and the only reason I am interested in this part number is because it comes with clear windows all across.

A customer service guy from “Bestop” says they both are sailcloth difference is just the window tint.
I find him hard to believe when Bestop's own configurer shows two different Black Diamond "options":
20221023_224505.jpg

Reactions: AutoCrat and JMT
And adding to the confusion “Black Diamond” & “Black Diamond Sailcloth” clearly have a different backing. It’s really confusing and Bestop should clear it out for once 😂.

02954BAF-7326-459F-AEBA-19C70CC14186.jpeg

8ACBD06E-5F57-43B3-BAD3-8138A05EB64F.jpeg

Just thought following will help future buyers. -

So got a reply from “Bestop” through their website and indeed “Black Diamond” means the colour (Code 35) and is not necessarily a sailcloth material. It is available in both standard weight (23 oz) vinyl and heavy weight sailcloth (28 oz). If you want sailcloth then ensure to order with correct SKU No. that clearly specify “Sailcloth” in the description and product title.

I ended up pulling a trigger on a spice “RAT Sailcloth“ with half door uppers. I know it’s not the most popular colour option to go on a “Bright Silver TJ“ but I wanted a heritage/retro looking top 😎. If needed I can always come back to black in few years 🤔.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper