Bestop Replace-A-Top Questions

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
We got both a hardtop and a factory soft top with our jeep. The soft top material needs to be replaced. I found a Bestop Replace-A-Top on craigslist, new in the box for $400, which is about all I would want to spend on a soft top...

So, what experiences do people have with the Replace-A-Top?

Anything we should look out for?

He advertised it as Sailcloth Black Vinyl, How many options on material are there, I see Twill, Denim, Diamond, what are the differences? I asked for a Bestop part number...

I have this same soft top. Quality is very good and fit is good as well. Make sure you do the install in a warm sunny day. I paid $600 on Amazon.

So, I'm thinking he has a Sailcloth. Are Black Denim and Diamond essentially the same, but with a different finish?

Last edited:
So, I'm thinking he has a Sailcloth. Are Black Denim and Diamond essentially the same, but with a different finish?

I believe black diamond is sail cloth and black denim is not. They changed the tops in 2003. The zippers on the side windows were switched.

All bestops are the same sailcloth except the twill ones.
There are comparison pictures between the black colors out there

They make 'replace a top' options for the trektop and supertop as well. Verify the part number before buying.

Honestly it doesnt sound like that good of a deal, thenreplace a top options dont have any hardware or seals, and are generally not that much more expensive new with warranty

Black Denim is very smooth compared to sailcloth and black diamond, which is sailcloth in black in my opinion and the most common factory installed Bestop.

Twill is a fabric, think BMW ...it has the weird, really black and dressy appearance found on luxury cars..nice but like a tuxedo coat with jeans on a TJ. It is now used on the JL models often.

Bestop has made all the factory tops for 3 decades..if there is anything better out there , I haven't seen it.