Bestop Replace-a-top, Trek Top or Rampage?

EROCK

TJ Enthusiast
Gonna buy a new top. Was gonna buy a replace a top Sailcloth by bestop but wanted to make sure I'm not missing out not going bowless. One problem I have with my current OEM top is I would love to take a trip on a sunny day and have the rear windows out. When I get to my destination, put em back in for rain or whatever. That's the only reason I'm considering the rampage with its storage pockets built into the top though I'm concerned about quality not being a Bestop. Ur 2 cent?

Rampage is crap.
Bestop is quality. I went from a traditional framed top to a frameless and I absolutely love it. I won’t be going back to a framed top. Ever. The frameless looks great and is super quiet. I’d bet as quiet if not more quiet than my hardtop. The flip back sun roof is a awesome feature as well.

Take this for what it's worth, but I've encountered so many Wrangler owners over the years with so many different tops. Smittybilt, Rampage, Bestop, etc.

The one thing I've found is that people with Smittybilt and Rampage tops rarely have anything positive to say if they've owned them long enough (cough, cough, @StG58). However, you'll never find anyone who regrets their Bestop purchase. Even the people who have had issues with Bestop have found that their customer service is absolutely top notch and they'll always make it right.

Yes, the initial buy-in is more expensive, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Bestop really is the BEST TOP you can get for a Jeep Wrangler, period.

There's a reason Jeep picked them as the OEM supplier for Jeep soft tops.

Buy once, cry once, and be done with it.

Reactions: StG58
Take this for what it's worth, but I've encountered so many Wrangler owners over the years with so many different tops. Smittybilt, Rampage, Bestop, etc.

The one thing I've found is that people with Smittybilt and Rampage tops rarely have anything positive to say if they've owned them long enough (cough, cough, @StG58). However, you'll never find anyone who regrets their Bestop purchase. Even the people who have had issues with Bestop have found that their customer service is absolutely top notch and they'll always make it right.

Yes, the initial buy-in is more expensive, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Bestop really is the BEST TOP you can get for a Jeep Wrangler, period.

There's a reason Jeep picked them as the OEM supplier for Jeep soft tops.

Buy once, cry once, and be done with it.
When people pay more for a product , it enables the manufacturer to be profitable, which insures they don’t cut corners in production to profit and allows them to give great warranty service , which costs money , and still survive .

Also helps Bestop is THE company who makes and has made all of the OEM MOPAR soft tops since 1986.

Reactions: Chris
I have the rampage. I can't speak for the smittybilt or the bestop since I haven't owned them.

However, I've owned other Bestop products. After this rampage top, I'll never get another one. I plan on going with the Trektop NX next

I have ran best top rampage and smittybuilt I like the ease of my rampage a lot but man is it noisy as hell best top is the best you can buy hands down I will be going back to them soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so Rampage is out of the question.Bestop it is. I like quality. The last big question is Frame or Bowless? Can I take the bowless off as easy as the frame?

Never owned a smittybilt or rampage but the have a trektop on my LJ and JKU. Love them for looks and quality but customer service is top notch with bestop. The header bar on the JK cracked after about 3 yrs and they immediately sent a replacement which also came with a new top. When I bought the one for the LJ I didnt let it soften enough in the sun and broke a zipper because it was tight. (My fault thinking I was gonna show the zipper who's boss) Again called them and they sent me a new window no questions asked.

Last edited:
I guess I’m an odd man out over here haha I’ve had my Rampage sailcloth top(30oz material vs their 20oz material) for a few months now and haven’t had anything major to complain about. I bought mine with the sole purpose of it only being used for the summer months and plan on putting my hardtop back on before we experience any cold weather/snow. I love having the ability to stop and remove the windows to store them up in the top. I think the top itself was a fairly easy install. The only issue I’ve had with the Rampage so far is the main seam inside the cab. They have a stretchy kind of tape over the seam to keep it folded over. My tape came undone within the first 2 weeks so I peeled it off and carefully laid down a single strip of the black Gorilla Tape. No issues ever since. It does seem noisy to me but I kind of expected anything other than the hardtop to be like that. I’ve invested right around $400 in mine after finding the factory hardware local. Maybe I’ll regret it someday 🤷🏻‍♂️ but I’m happy for now

Bestop hands down. I am running the trektop and it is so convenient and quiet. Also customer service is great. I would never buy anything besides bestop.

I have a trektop NX Twill, I kinda wish I would have gone for the supertop.

The top needs to be taken completly off vs just folded down on the supertop. It doesn't take any longer, but there's nowhere to store the top on the jeep at that point...

Bought the trektop nx in spice. Thanks for the advice!

Screenshot_20190715-084933_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Personally I think if I had to choose I’ll go with the OEM version. I have a trektop and the zippers are messed up now from folding the sunrider and now I can take take off my side windows. I like the fastback look of the Trektop but the oem version is much easier to be Topless. The oem version top would store in it’s folded back position vs trektop somewhere in the jeep or at home.

Last edited:
Personally I think if I had to choose I’ll go with the OEM version. I have a trektop and the zippers are messed up now from folding the sunrider and now I can take take off my side windows. I like the fastback look of the Trektop but the oem version is much easier to be Topless. The oem version top would store in it’s folded back position vs trektop somewhere in the jeep or at home.

Have you sent Bestop an email with photos of the issue? Just I had a broken zipper on my back window and they sent out a complete window set gratis.

I've got a Rampage oem frame style top. I got it for $182. And it was one of the few available in the Khaki color I wanted. Otherwise I don't think I would have bought it at the time. I Just needed something cheap that would work. And that I could actually see out of the windows. My OEM top was trashed.

It's taken me awhile to operate it correctly. Meaning my own Jeep soft top knowledge was lacking. I had a hard time figuring out how to get it on. Only to find out I had the wrong frame. I also had some door leaks. And then was pointed out that I didn't have the soft top properly sealed to the door. I have not had it in the rain since. But I have had it to the do it yourself car wash several times. And no leaks. Except for the gap at the bottom of the rear window. Not sure if that's a Rampage thing or just a Jeep thing.

I can't say I've had any problems with it. But I live in Socal. And have not had it in the rain much. For $182 it was a great deal for me. YMMV. And it doesn't sound like you need cheap. But maybe someone reading this thread does.

Having said that. I will buy a Bestop next. I have nothing to compare my Rampage too. But I imagine the Bestop fitting alot more snuggly to the frame. Perhaps a little quieter. But I don't notice as much noise from the Rampage soft top as I do from simple road noise. And I think the better fabrics used in a Bestop will look much nicer. Again, not that my Rampage looks bad. But Sailcloth is nice. And I'd imagine it would look really nice. Also I'm sure a bestop and the better fabric would wear better. And the windows are probably marginally clearer. Mine aren't bad. But there is distortion in the rear window. Not enough to affect anything. But still. Bestop is just way better.

My only issue is the cost. I'll probably hold out for an oem bestop or a used aftermarket bestop. Maybe something new in box or used in good condition. Or maybe I'll catch a sale. But living in Socal right now. The Rampage is fine for me. As there isn't any weather to keep out. Other than the sun. If I lived in the north. I would definitely have purchased a Bestop. I don't think a Rampage would hold up to a Bestop in really bad weather. And let's face it. That's half the fun of a Jeep. Being out in bad weather.

I have the TrektopNX. I like it but storing the windows when you have a jeep full of camping gear and a dog is not really great. They are a pain/awkward to roll up and I think Bestop expects you will just leave them at home. I have an extra large camp chair bag that works OK for storage in a pinch but only used it a couple times. Was thinking of trying to covert a mesh shade I have to go under top in "safari mode" to see if I can MacGyver a pocket like the Rampage has.