Bestop Safari Top

Anyone have any experience with an Alien Sunshade? Reviews are great on Amazon, but I like hearing first hand from a less anonymous crowd.

ALIEN SUNSHADE Jeep Wrangler Mesh Bikini Top Cover Provides UV Protection for Your TJ (1997-2006) Original Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z3N8GGY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have a smaller Alien Sunshade that covers the front seats. I used it all last summer and was really happy with it. I’m ready to put it back on soon. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

I have a smaller Alien Sunshade that covers the front seats. I used it all last summer and was really happy with it. I’m ready to put it back on soon. Just waiting for the weather to cooperate.
I ended up buying the Alien Sunshade. I feel like the Bestop one would have had issues with the soft top windshield header.

So far, I've been happy with the Alien Sunshade. Easy to put on. Takes the edge off that bright sun. No interference when I put my soft top up.

I've driven with it for 4 or 5 days, and driving 50+ MPH on the highway, and I didn't find it to be super floppy. We'll see if it stretches out a bit and that gets worse. But so far, so good.

I ran one of these for a long while some years back. I'm not a fan of the header you need to buy to run those, it was always a PITA to install. If you plan to leave this on for quite a while, it's not that big of a deal, though. Once you get a soft top, it eliminates the need for a safari top. The same thing can be accomplished by taking out the soft top windows. That's what I do now, or fold down the top and run the Spiderwebshade top, which can be left on with the soft or hard top installed.

I run my soft top without the windows sometimes. It does act like a safari top, but I always worry about the rear legs of the top getting stretched out or ripping at about 40mph and above. They really move around.

I run my soft top without the windows sometimes. It does act like a safari top, but I always worry about the rear legs of the top getting stretched out or ripping at about 40mph and above. They really move around.

I do the same with the windows out. My rear sail panels would come unclipped every now and then. I got some 1-1/2 inch wide Velcro Self-Wrap from Strapworks and secure the back to the roll bar. It works well and stores easily wrapped around the roll bar when not in use.

IMG_3462.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Tranz Zam