Bestop Safari Top

FadeToGray

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Since my LJ isn't a daily driver and sits in a garage most of the time, I figured I'd save some money and wait till next year to buy a soft top.

In the meantime I wanted something for keeping the sun and mild rain out if needed.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Bestop Safari top so that it covers most of the top.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/bestop-header-bikini-top-safaristyle-0406-tj-unlimited.html
Anyone have any bad experiences with this top? Figure it should be fairly solid like most of the Bestop products.

Anything better out there that's at the same price point or cheaper? Definately need something that covers the rear seats as well.

Thanks in advance.

Love my Bestop Safari Top. It's not good at keeping heavy or wind driven rain out of the back but it's otherwise my favorite top. I hate it when I have to replace it with the full soft top on which fortunately won't be for another six months now.

Reactions: Mrgreg66
I ran one of these for a long while some years back. I'm not a fan of the header you need to buy to run those, it was always a PITA to install. If you plan to leave this on for quite a while, it's not that big of a deal, though. Once you get a soft top, it eliminates the need for a safari top. The same thing can be accomplished by taking out the soft top windows. That's what I do now, or fold down the top and run the Spiderwebshade top, which can be left on with the soft or hard top installed.

Reactions: psrivats
Neither of those are an issue for me. The Safari Top can be made taut enough to keep it quiet. And it'll keep the rain out of the front seat area when tucked into the door surrounds.

It is even noisier when clipped into the door surrounds. I ran the Bestop Safari, duster, windjammer combo for a few years. It will keep you dry as long as you're moving. Still noisier than a soft top.

I ran one of these for a long while some years back. I'm not a fan of the header you need to buy to run those, it was always a PITA to install.
That clamp-style header is such a PITA I threw it and its top with it into the trash. Bestop's permanently installed drill-style header removes the PITA factor and makes attaching the front of a bikini or safari top a simple job taking 5-10 seconds. Bestop sells both versions of tops, I'll never buy another that uses that terrible clamp style/no drill header. The drill style header can stay installed permanently and is compatible with hard and soft tops.

That clamp-style header is such a PITA I threw it and its top with it into the trash. Bestop's permanently installed drill-style header removes the PITA factor and makes attaching the front of a bikini or safari top a simple job taking 5-10 seconds. Bestop sells both versions of tops, I'll never buy another that uses that terrible clamp style/no drill header. The drill style header can stay installed permanently and is compatible with hard and soft tops.
i did look at those when I used to run a bikini top. I guess I was too chicken to drill holes in my windshield frame, but you're right, that is a much better solution. How does the top attach to the header?

I didn't know there was a perm drill option. That sounds like the preferred method for me. Will research that now.

i did look at those when I used to run a bikini top. I guess I was too chicken to drill holes in my windshield frame, but you're right, that is a much better solution. How does the top attach to the header?
The rounded front edge of a driil-style header top slides into a slot in the drill-style header from the side. Takes a few seconds.

Been using my same Bestop Safari top every summer since 2008. I've never had a problem with the clamp on header. I use door surrounds to keep top tight and to seal out most the elements using the uppers. I've also added three grommets on the very back and use ball bungees on the added rear sport cage bar to keep the rear tight.

I run bestops safari top and tonneau cover in the summer months. I dont have an issue with flapping noise at all. Its not 100% at keeping water out but thats a chance you take running a safari top.

(just trying to show how taught it is, hardly flaps at hwy speeds)
3471477d7f7fe71ef58b21a65e0530c0.jpg

I run bestops safari top and tonneau cover in the summer months. I dont have an issue with flapping noise at all. Its not 100% at keeping water out but thats a chance you take running a safari top.

(just trying to show how taught it is, hardly flaps at hwy speeds)
View attachment 89731
Same here. Nice and tight. Can even stay warm in the snow!

a19224a8-6a1f-4afe-a5c4-5bf280ce8eef_zpszbsyxm8w.jpg

Reactions: RussTJ and tworley
Anyone have any experience with an Alien Sunshade? Reviews are great on Amazon, but I like hearing first hand from a less anonymous crowd.

ALIEN SUNSHADE Jeep Wrangler Mesh Bikini Top Cover Provides UV Protection for Your TJ (1997-2006) Original Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z3N8GGY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Be wary of Amazon's reviews. My Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive but they have rejected probably half of my negative reviews.

I had/have that Safari top, I didn't like it. I couldn't get it taunt enough to keep it from flapping in the wind. I did not however have any issues with the clamp on header. I currently now have a Bedstop NX on my LJ, and run it as a bikini in the summer. I'm not really a fan of that either same problem with flapping in the wind. I have an alien mesh top in the garage, but haven't had a chance to install. I'm not concerned about the rain, since I only drive it in the summer when there is no rain in the forecast. As for the winter, the NX kept me dry. This winter, I might put the hardtop back on.

@Jerry Bransford , this is the top you are talking about, right? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SA44C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And this channel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SA226/?tag=wranglerorg-20, which you said I can leave on with my factory hard top, and my ~15 year old Bestop soft top (which has a separate windshield channel piece), right?

In looking at the pictures, I don't think it will work because for the old Bestop header, it uses the hook slots in the frame to clamp the bar down, which I believe would interfere with this drill in channel.

I can send a pic if that helps.

Last edited: