Bestop Supertop Classic Skin vs. Supertop NX

ballpark

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I own a 97 Sport. I purchased it with a Bestop Supertop Classic. The PO purchased new hardware but the fabric top has a manufacture date of 2002. It’s still great, but I am looking ahead.

I do love the soft top. My goal is to maximize time with the top down. I also use this as my daily driver, because I love to drive it.

I can get the top down in about 10 minutes. Back up is a little slower.

I will need to either replace the entire top and hardware (Supertop NX), or just get a new skin (Classic)

It seems like with no real door surrounds, (just the bent pole) removal / install would be faster than OEM style hardware.

Can someone tell me pros and cons of the Supertop Classic verses the New OEM Style Supertop? Thank you

Classic:

2a63bf48c0564c719f7ddc3c37809e85.jpg

OEM:

bc00450e58f31516c3a9875da8018b1f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have either product. But, do have an OEM style top. Smittybilt, yeah, I know. It was all I could afford. However, the hardware around the door you’re concerned about hasn’t been an issue. Like you I can do the job in about 10 minutes. It adds the drip rail and side window bit to the equation. Both, very quick to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@ballpark, as far as speed of folding down & putting back up, I don't think you'd gain that much either way. Having had both types, though, I much prefer the factory type with the door surrounds. What type of windshield frame header does your current soft top use?

@ballpark, as far as speed of folding down & putting back up, I don't think you'd gain that much either way. Having had both types, though, I much prefer the factory type with the door surrounds. What type of windshield frame header does your current soft top use?

It’s just the slot that a plastic rib goes into. Just like a bikini top. The hardest part of getting the top up is fitting that rib into the slot.

I’ve had both on my previous tj. I preferred the classic, it was much easier to use all around. However... the ome is a much more secure fit.

So maybe the OEM is quieter cause it fits better?

I wouldn’t take the Classic in a automated car wash, can an OEM make it?

The windows would be scratched badly I bet.

I took my OEM top through the car wash all the time. Never had any issues. The bristles were foam so it never beat up my top or windows.

Thank you all. Not hearing a huge difference... I guess I will see which one goes on sale first. Thank you