Bestop Supertop TJ Sunrider Mode Problem

Coozane

Hello all. Tried posting this in another TJ group but no one seems to have any suggestions or an answer. Neither does Bestop.

I have a 2000 TJ that has had a Bestop Supertop soft top on it for around ten years and I love it. Bought a new Bestop Supertop soft top recently and it collapses onto me as I drive at highway speeds (45+ mph) when in sunrider mode. Seems to stay in place fine driving local roads at 30-40 mph. As soon as I hit the highway and increase speed it starts inverting. Has to be something with the way the wind is catching it. The middle sags big time into the cabin when riding with sunrider mode. It’s like trying to invert itself or turn inside out. Very unsafe. Anyone else experience this and figure out how to fix it? Bestop has not been able to help. They sent me two Velcro straps that are for a JK but wasted their time doing so. Didn’t work at all. Pics attached are what happens after driving on a highway. I keep having to tuck it back up or pull over and fix it, but as soon as I hit 45+ mph again it starts happening all over again.

Suggestions?

820B44D4-79A3-4AA4-BB9A-184333AB65E9.jpeg

0C4FF41B-3B66-4F98-8F3C-CC5A82C517B5.jpeg

D2B0F4BD-95FA-4628-8DFD-4EC965DA0369.jpeg

0E72C1E4-AACD-45DF-8ED4-81E076394618.jpeg

12C66242-CCC2-427F-8A61-B089336FE8EE.jpeg

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
Unzip the rear window. It’s that simple. The later TJs that came with a sunrider include these instructions in the owner’s manual. If it’s already unzipped, then it sounds like a Bestop issue. I don’t have this issues with mine.

Unzip the rear window. It’s that simple. The later TJs that came with a sunrider include these instructions in the owner’s manual. If it’s already unzipped, then it sounds like a Bestop issue. I don’t have this issues with mine.
@AjRagno

Wow. Thanks. I never thought of that. That will completely change the air flow and may very well work. I do know that having driver/passenger window open does not make a difference but maybe unzipping the back window will.

Is this on TJ instructions or Bestop Supertop softop top instructions? I just looked through my Bestop instructions and don’t see anything about this. Will look at my TJ owners manual later today. I have a 2000 model so that’s really not a “later “ TJ. But it’s worth a shot! I’ll get back to you. Looks like I’m gonna take a long cold drive in Sunrider mode this afternoon on the Long Island expressway to test this out. Brrrrr….

Yeah, just unzip the rear window and it will no longer flop around. I have the OE frame but the Bestop sunrider is similar.

The instructions to unzip or remove the rear window are in my 2005 owner’s manual. I figured this out after experiencing the same issue you reported. I unzip but do not remove the rear window, leaving around 2” of teeth engaged. You could roll up the rear window but that’ll leave more scratches than unzipping it.

Yeah, just unzip the rear window and it will no longer flop around. I have the OE frame but the Bestop sunrider is similar.

The instructions to unzip or remove the rear window are in my 2005 owner’s manual. I figured this out after experiencing the same issue you reported. I unzip but do not remove the rear window, leaving around 2” of teeth engaged. You could roll up the rear window but that’ll leave more scratches than unzipping it.

Tried it. Only worked OK. But better than before. Unzipped rear window to the top. Great suggestion. I’m going to try a few additions to that next.

Man that sucks. Definitely ruins the experience. A couple people on YouTube built a crossmember out of pvc to hold up their soft top.....that could help....but definitely going to add a jimmy rigged vibe.

Hello all. Tried posting this in another TJ group but no one seems to have any suggestions or an answer. Neither does Bestop.

I have a 2000 TJ that has had a Bestop Supertop soft top on it for around ten years and I love it. Bought a new Bestop Supertop soft top recently and it collapses onto me as I drive at highway speeds (45+ mph) when in sunrider mode. Seems to stay in place fine driving local roads at 30-40 mph. As soon as I hit the highway and increase speed it starts inverting. Has to be something with the way the wind is catching it. The middle sags big time into the cabin when riding with sunrider mode. It’s like trying to invert itself or turn inside out. Very unsafe. Anyone else experience this and figure out how to fix it? Bestop has not been able to help. They sent me two Velcro straps that are for a JK but wasted their time doing so. Didn’t work at all. Pics attached are what happens after driving on a highway. I keep having to tuck it back up or pull over and fix it, but as soon as I hit 45+ mph again it starts happening all over again.

Suggestions?

View attachment 382910

View attachment 382911

View attachment 382912

View attachment 382913

View attachment 382914

On mine, I reversed the fold and use the tension brace (silver cross bar). In your first pic, the two plastic rails, reverse that fold on each side, with a cross stretch, tighten the material, and place the bar into its slots.

This works great for me, and holds firm at higher speeds, 70-75 mph.
Ray

On mine, I reversed the fold and use the tension brace (silver cross bar). In your first pic, the two plastic rails, reverse that fold on each side, with a cross stretch, tighten the material, and place the bar into its slots.

This works great for me, and holds firm at higher speeds, 70-75 mph.
Ray
Please post a pic of your solution, as I am also dealing with this issue and Bestop has zero recommendations.
I was able to wedge the extra bow into the area at the rear corners of the door surrounds & that helps keep the top off my head, but that’s not where the bow is supposed to go.

There is another post on the just recently.

I use the sunrider nearly every time I get in the jeep. I have the Trektop NX so it folds back a bit different, but...

Once you do your initial fold back, take the front removable bow (which I don't see in your pictures) and place it on top of the sport bar as far back towards the sound bar as you can, and keep it under the folded back fabric to prevent the fabric from sagging.

I do this every time I fold the sunrider back and more often than not, I don't open the back window and I never get that saggy fabric

I have the same problem. Happened today and ruined the experience.
I have a long flexible bungee I run across the whole thing, hooked to the bars, left and right, thought it was the fix, but nope.
Caused a dangerous situation today at highway speed.
Rear window unzipped., and have tried everything.
Wondering if anyone has had any luck with Bestop providing a fix.
Speaking personally, spent a lot on this new Top last year, as it's the heavy Twill.
You'd think they'd come up with a clip, or a camp for the center, or strap running left to right.

Coincidentally, I recently received the proposed fix from Bestop.
It was a box of 3 different black web straps.
The 2 short ones have a folded over loop sewn at one end and a plastic strap adjuster at the other end.
The longer one has a plastic hook mat one end and nothing on the other end.
There are no instructions, drawings, etc, so exactly how they are supposed to work is unknown for certain, but I’m recovering from broken ribs & collarbone now and I haven’t had the strength or mobility to check them out.

I’ll post here when I give them a try.

Coincidentally, I recently received the proposed fix from Bestop.
It was a box of 3 different black web straps.
The 2 short ones have a folded over loop sewn at one end and a plastic strap adjuster at the other end.
The longer one has a plastic hook mat one end and nothing on the other end.
There are no instructions, drawings, etc, so exactly how they are supposed to work is unknown for certain, but I’m recovering from broken ribs & collarbone now and I haven’t had the strength or mobility to check them out.

I’ll post here when I give them a try.

Wow! Glad I posted when I did. Guess I need to contact Bestop again.
I figured there would be a lot of us dealing with this, and eventually they'd have to come up with something.
But seriously, three straps and no instructions??? Come on Bestop, your better that that!
And sorry about your injuries, hope you heal up quick.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I have the same problem. Happened today and ruined the experience.
I have a long flexible bungee I run across the whole thing, hooked to the bars, left and right, thought it was the fix, but nope.
Caused a dangerous situation today at highway speed.
Rear window unzipped., and have tried everything.
Wondering if anyone has had any luck with Bestop providing a fix.
Speaking personally, spent a lot on this new Top last year, as it's the heavy Twill.
You'd think they'd come up with a clip, or a camp for the center, or strap running left to right.

Is yours the TrekTop or TrekTop NX?