Bestop Tire Carrier Heavily Discounted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missed the delivery twice, but just got both!
20191118_124554.jpg

Very beefy, weighs about 48 lbs according to my bathroom scale. Has weld through d-ring mounts and 4 crossmember and 1 frame bolt on each side.
20191118_124607.jpg

Missed the delivery twice, but just got both!
View attachment 125505
Very beefy, weighs about 48 lbs according to my bathroom scale. Has weld through d-ring mounts and 4 crossmember and 1 frame bolt on each side.
View attachment 125506
I got my shipment on both as well. I weighed the bumper in at 42.2 lbs on my scale. My stock bumper and class III hitch together was 45 lbs. Install took about 45 min doing it solo. Had issues with fitment and bolts threading cleanly but I got it done with the help of a jack. Sorry for the bad pic angle. It was already dark outside and couldn’t take a good picture.

Edit: the TJ only uses the outside two bolt holes on both side and one bolt underneath. I believe the other holes are for a YJ fit.

042B1F5D-F300-4D41-83D3-572C36509DD6.jpeg

Dang it! You are making me really want to buy that bumper. I was looking for something lighter but now I'm considering it.🤔

Dang! I'm seriously thinking about ordering one because of that price.
Is it recommended to have one of these with a 265/75/16 or maybe a 31x10.5x16 spare size tire?

Dang! I'm seriously thinking about ordering one because of that price.
Is it recommended to have one of these with a 265/75/16 or maybe a 31x10.5x16 spare size tire?
I don’t think you need it for a 31x10.5x15 tire. I have that now on the stock tire carrier. Just make sure the snubbers sit against the tire so there’s no movement when hitting bumps.

Reactions: GorillaBiscuit
Right on. I'll just keep her stock then.
Probably for the best not to order anymore Jeep things after spending 2 grand on the soft top and PCM! Lol!!

Got my rear tire carrier yesterday, anyone started installing yet?

Got mine installed, though I completely threw every thread I read out the window (my fault). I need to elongate the holes I currently have or drill new ones. The way it currently sits my tire will be angled towards the passenger side just a hair. Haven't had a moment to tweak it as I am dealing with some driveshaft issues. Tire isnt on either.
Bestop Highrock.jpg

Reactions: 06lj
Got mine installed, though I completely threw every thread I read out the window (my fault). I need to elongate the holes I currently have or drill new ones. The way it currently sits my tire will be angled towards the passenger side just a hair. Haven't had a moment to tweak it as I am dealing with some driveshaft issues. Tire isnt on either.
View attachment 125587
What would you suggest for those who haven’t installed it yet do differently?

What would you suggest for those who haven’t installed it yet do differently?
Mount the tailgate pieces first, including the carrier. Get them tight. Then pay attention to the tub mounting system. I did this, but then I went off bestops measurements in the instructions. They say to have the top mount at 6 3/8" from the tailgate edge, and the bottom 6 5/8". Those measurements are wrong, mine are further out. When your ready to mount to the tub, just take sure your carrier is parallel to the tailgate. Also, an additional jam nut may be necessary on the upper mount on the tailgate.

Reactions: Hog and jazngab
I got my shipment on both as well. I weighed the bumper in at 42.2 lbs on my scale. My stock bumper and class III hitch together was 45 lbs. Install took about 45 min doing it solo. Had issues with fitment and bolts threading cleanly but I got it done with the help of a jack. Sorry for the bad pic angle. It was already dark outside and couldn’t take a good picture.

Edit: the TJ only uses the outside two bolt holes on both side and one bolt underneath. I believe the other holes are for a YJ fit.

View attachment 125551

Got mine mounted last night, it was just two into the crossmember, my gfs Yj was here, so I confirmed that it did have 4 holes. Also did have problems with the bolts lining up, I feel like using longer bolts than the ones supplied so I could get more standoff while I was trying to thread them before sucking them in tight could have worked, but I ended up just reaming out one of the crossmember holes about an 1/8th of an inch or so.

Reactions: Hog and jazngab
Do you HAVE to have the rubber tire insulators installed? Mine are long gone, so if I need them, I'm making them

Do you HAVE to have the rubber tire insulators installed? Mine are long gone, so if I need them, I'm making them

The snubbers between the body and tire? Anything and everything you can to reduce bouncing, rattling and shaking will only be beneficial for the long term integrity of the carrier and the Jeep body.

I need some Grade 8 help. I'm upgrading all the supplied bolts with Grade 8 before I even get started. I was able to get everything except the 1/2 x 20 x 7".

Where were you guys able to get yours? I found some on line, but I don't want to pay $10 in shipping for a $4.30 bolt!

Can someone help a brother out?

This is so tempting. My Jeeps PO had a 35 hanging off the tail gate and it looks somewhat dented in, perhaps from all the weight.

It now holds the 33 I scaled down to but know I need something stronger. I hate to drill into the body of my Jeep though..

I can be talked into it but not sure I'm ready to take the drill to Jeep body.

Thanks for the posting.. something for me to think about for sure.

Dan
My first drill hole on my jeep made me feel like I just spanked my son. Why did you do that lol

• Haha
Reactions: Hog and Dan T.
I need some Grade 8 help. I'm upgrading all the supplied bolts with Grade 8 before I even get started. I was able to get everything except the 1/2 x 20 x 7".

Where were you guys able to get yours? I found some on line, but I don't want to pay $10 in shipping for a $4.30 bolt!

Can someone help a brother out?

Ive not done this, but I can pretty much always find what I need for the TJ at ACE.

Just ordered mine...Hopefully it ships. This is a really great deal!

Does anyone know if it centers the tire? The offset of the factory position really bugs me...I have a "step" in my bumper that IS centered so it really messes with my OCD...

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
Status
Not open for further replies.