Bestop Tire Carrier Heavily Discounted

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACE had everything except the 7" bolt. Maybe yours will have a bigger selection.

oh bummer, I bet they have a 6” and 8”. Can you trim it down if they have something longer? Keeping a nut installed - grind off the extra inch and unscrew the nut to clean up the threads.

Reactions: Dustoffdax
oh bummer, I bet they have a 6” and 8”. Can you trim it down if they have something longer? Keeping a nut installed - grind off the extra inch and unscrew the nut to clean up the threads.

ACE had everything except the 7" bolt. Maybe yours will have a bigger selection.

Check it with your tire first. With your back spacing you might be able to get away with a much smaller bolt.

Reactions: Dustoffdax
How far does this carrier hold the tire away from the body? From pics it looks like it’s a fair distance. How long did your snubbers have to be extended to reach the tire?

I'm assuming the carrier is made for the factory snubbers? Is it the tire that contacts them or the carrier itself? Could someone give me dimensions of the snubbers, please? Thanks

Mount the tailgate pieces first, including the carrier. Get them tight. Then pay attention to the tub mounting system. I did this, but then I went off bestops measurements in the instructions. They say to have the top mount at 6 3/8" from the tailgate edge, and the bottom 6 5/8". Those measurements are wrong, mine are further out. When your ready to mount to the tub, just take sure your carrier is parallel to the tailgate. Also, an additional jam nut may be necessary on the upper mount on the tailgate.
Working on my install today and noticed the measurements are different in my instructions than what you said the instructions told you. They’re telling me longer measurements. Top hinge 6 5/8” from door opening and bottom 6 3/16”. Curious if some sets had updated instructions to these incorrect measurements?

DB9E0338-FEB4-4474-9E27-1071D6A7B7EE.jpeg

Do these new measurements match up when you do what @tworley described by letting the carrier tell you where the holes need to be?

Working on my install today and noticed the measurements are different in my instructions than what you said the instructions told you. They’re telling me longer measurements. Top hinge 6 5/8” from door opening and bottom 6 3/16”. Curious if some sets had updated instructions to these incorrect measurements?

View attachment 126320

Those are the same measurements I had, I just relayed the wrong info in the previous post. Disregard those numbers entirely

Do these new measurements match up when you do what @tworley described by letting the carrier tell you where the holes need to be?

Reactions: jazngab
@tworley i actually just used the measurements as a guideline. Like you said @jjvw i let the carrier tell me where to drill. I installed the roll bar bracket first and used the brackets holes to drill pilot holes then went from there

Here’s my final install. My tips would be to use the passenger side bracket holes, top and bottom, be your guides to make your holes in the tub. Make small pilot holes to see where you are in relation to the bracket holes on the other side.
My other tip is keep track of your hardware. I can’t find my torx bolt that holds the seatbelt assembly 😖

B0FB2F76-C28D-450A-A5EE-C72F46B4D0DB.jpeg

CE78D503-597B-463B-ABB0-D75043DB8755.jpeg

Here’s my final install. My tips would be to use the passenger side bracket holes, top and bottom, be your guides to make your holes in the tub. Make small pilot holes to see where you are in relation to the bracket holes on the other side.
My other tip is keep track of your hardware. I can’t find my torx bolt that holds the seatbelt assembly 😖

View attachment 126347

View attachment 126348
What did your measurements end up being? Just curious how it compares to the instructions

What did your measurements end up being? Just curious how it compares to the instructions
I’d have to measure. I really just used those recommended measurements as a guideline where to put my first pilot hole. After I found out where I was on the inner tub in relation to where the bracket hole was, I adjusted where I either enlarged the hole or I moved to make a new pilot hole. I used the smallest bit I had in my drill bit arsenal for my pilot holes. Only missed one where I had to move over a bit but the hole was so small I just put touch up paint on it and moved on.

I'm glad the install went smoothly for you all. I'm stupid and read the directions (and not the tips in the thread), and had to redrill.

• Angry
Reactions: jazngab
Has anyone decided to change out hardware to grade 8 stuff? Does anyone think that is necessary? I do plan on buying grade 8 washers for the passenger side body bolts. I don’t like how they did not include washers for the nut side.

Glad to see so many more installs of this carrier, I thought I went rouge last year when I purchased mine vs. the moryde that was more expensive. You guys got a steal! Mine was on sale w/ mail in rebate rebate for around 260

Overall install wasn’t bad. Mind you I have corner armor, so a trip to the hardware store was needed for longer bolts for the passenger side hinges. The holes for the top passenger side Hinge ended up being slightly off (the holes made were slightly lower than where the bracket was located). Though, my solution was to put the bracket that attached to the roll bar under rather than over per the instructions photo. Then I was able to angle the bolts slightly and through just fine.

Only other issue was one jack nut did break on me. So upgrading them to better ones or even a rivnut would be better. I’ll need to make a trip for mine before my third brake goes on. Now to save some $ for my spare Beadlocks and 35” Ridgegrappler 🙃

3E258572-88C5-4DAB-9D85-A9C0B20557FE.jpeg

96F2D122-F3E8-4ADF-8FE1-AECAF8A4F8EF.jpeg

DBE689A5-6393-4365-8E11-5CC6FD3538A5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.