Better late than never...

jbar80

Supporting Member
Figured this fit better here than in the welcome area so here it goes:

2003 Sahara Auto…

Was stock when I bought it last summer with about 95k on the odometer. Plan on driving it for a while and then using it primarily for a hunting/fishing rig at some point. I like to “discover” new lakes to fish so a lot of what I’m doing is geared towards that.

Mods installed so far:
OME HD lift kit (OMETJHKS)
JKS front and rear adj track bars
Crown HD steering kit
Derale transmission cooler
32x11.5r15” Cooper STT Pro on Black Rock alloy wheels
Black Magic brake pads
Regear to 4.88 with front and rear Truetrac
Currie Antirock
Exogate
Replaced cracked factory fogs with KC
EAG front and rear bumpers
Smittybilt X2O Comp 10k winch
ARB CKMA12 compressor
Big Boy seat brackets
Uniden 520XL radio
Sony XAV-AX100 head unit
Speakers (Polk DB522) and Sub (Kicker COMPRT 6.75")
Backup camera
Hothead headliner
Rugged Ridge arm rests
Misch dead pedal
Hella E-Code Headlights
RS5000X Shocks
Poison Spyder rear bumper brace kit

Still to do:

Savvy TC shifter linkage upgrade
Sound deadening project
Transmission Temp Gauge
Hand Throttle

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.....Looks like your been busy since the summer with all those installs.🛠... There is many a thread on the Ranchos, could be your 'go to shock' if the OME are stiff...many have switched and sing their praises.

Thanks Kiwi. Yes, very busy indeed. I'm still running down a few bugs (mainly bad TCM) but will eventually make a decision on the shocks and Ranchos do seem like a good solution. I am curious about the lighter OME shocks though.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Looks good! Having had OME shocks and Rancho shocks, the Rancho RS5000X are a much better ride!

Tough to beat the price on them too... Something that threw me off about the "OMETJHKS" kit is that the rear springs that came with it are 2942 and the shocks are 60049. According to the ARB application guide the 2942 springs are supposed to be paired with 60048 and the 49s are for the LJ kit. I did call Morris4x4 to see if it was a mistake and they said that what I received is correct. Just makes me wonder if that isn't part of the problem but again hard to experiment with changing rear shocks at this point when I can switch all 4 to Ranchos for the same price and not have to wonder if that's going to fix it.

Glad to hear you like the Ranchos. They are great shocks, it's just a shame they don't put a little more effort into making them look more aesthetically pleasing ;)

Finally had a chance to paint and install the RS5000X shocks. Ride is much improved. Honestly, it rides like I hoped it would after installing the OME shocks. I appreciate the advice on the Ranchos.

I recently did the same on my LJ. OME 2 inch lift with HD springs front and rear about 1 year ago. About a month ago I replaced the OME shocks with RS5000x's for 2-3 inch lift. I like the ride a lot better.

Glad to hear you like the Ranchos. They are great shocks, it's just a shame they don't put a little more effort into making them look more aesthetically pleasing ;)

It really is. I guess they don't typically go after the "value added" customer but it would be nice to have another option that is finished out a little better or at least more rust resistant. My biggest shock replacement worry isn't buying a new set as much as having to twist on old bolts that are notorious for breaking off and causing a major headache. I put two coats of paint on so hopefully that will be enough to wear them out before they are rusted out.

Reactions: Chris
I recently did the same on my LJ. OME 2 inch lift with HD springs front and rear about 1 year ago. About a month ago I replaced the OME shocks with RS5000x's for 2-3 inch lift. I like the ride a lot better.

I ended up with the 2-3" version as well. I really wanted to like the OME shocks (installed in December) and they did improve a bit with wear but never got anywhere close to the point of being acceptable.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
It really is. I guess they don't typically go after the "value added" customer but it would be nice to have another option that is finished out a little better or at least more rust resistant. My biggest shock replacement worry isn't buying a new set as much as having to twist on old bolts that are notorious for breaking off and causing a major headache. I put two coats of paint on so hopefully that will be enough to wear them out before they are rusted out.

The nice thing about them though is that when they do eventually need replacing, a new set is so cheap that it doesn't really make you have to think twice.