BF Goodrich KM3 reviews?

Honestly for me I am pretty done with BFG's I think the original MT's were more rugged and cleaned way better than the new KM's I bet the new KM's are better on the street then they are in the mud in my opinion based on looks. The side lugs are slightly curved and there is less space in the center lugs for cleaning. In my opinion it doesn't look much more aggressive than the Duratrac AT and the Duratrac is much cheaper.

To me if I was a mudder, I would get a more aggressive tire or if I am more of a streeter I would get a cheaper tire.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

That is my opinion. I could be bias because I used to have the original BFG MT's and now I have the duratracs, but out of the three the Duratrac, KM3 or the original MT. I would take the original MT but since I don't have that choice I choose the Duratrac over the KM3. I can attest to the duratrac having plenty of traction for that offroad I do and still be quiet for the on road I do. Again. I am not a Rock crawler nor a full on Mudder, but for the in between I am fan of the Duratracs.

disclaimer this is all based on my opinion only. Take it FWIW.

I’d be curious others’ experience as well. I’ll be buying new tires sooner than later and really have not been happy with my duratracs. I loved my old MTs and am hoping to find something similar.

Honestly for me I am pretty done with BFG's I think the original MT's were more rugged and cleaned way better than the new KM's I bet the new KM's are better on the street then they are in the mud in my opinion based on looks. The side lugs are slightly curved and there is less space in the center lugs for cleaning. In my opinion it doesn't look much more aggressive than the Duratrac AT and the Duratrac is much cheaper.

To me if I was a mudder, I would get a more aggressive tire or if I am more of a streeter I would get a cheaper tire.

That is my opinion. I could be bias because I used to have the original BFG MT's and now I have the duratracs, but out of the three the Duratrac, KM3 or the original MT. I would take the original MT but since I don't have that choice I choose the Duratrac over the KM3. I can attest to the duratrac having plenty of traction for that offroad I do and still be quiet for the on road I do. Again. I am not a Rock crawler nor a full on Mudder, but for the in between I am fan of the Duratracs.

Aren't the jk Rubicon tires original BFG M/Ts? They are very similar if not... I'm running them, but haven't had the opportunity to get them off road yet.
20180610_212506.jpg

Reactions: ac_

I was very happy with the KM2 on the JK I had.

I was very happy with the KM2 on the JK I had.

Sure, but how many mud holes did you traverse. To me the new KM's look more like AT's than the originals. So my point is if it isn't really that much more aggressive of a tread and I know the duratracs are quiet on the road and cheaper. I am going to stick with my Duratrac.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are a bad tire, They just are not the tire for me anymore.

Aren't the jk Rubicon tires original BFG M/Ts? They are very similar if not... I'm running them, but haven't had the opportunity to get them off road yet.View attachment 45113
I believe they are and they are still my favorite off-road tire. I just wish they were still an option. Same with the Wrangler R/T's they were my very favorite tire but they took them off of the market a long time ago.

I guess I have to keep moving with the times, but it sure doesn't seem like they make tires like they used. to.

Reactions: lowranger
I believe they are and they are still my favorite off-road tire. I just wish they were still an option. Same with the Wrangler R/T's they were my very favorite tire but they took them off of the market a long time ago.

I guess I have to keep moving with the times, but it sure doesn't seem like they make tires like they used. to.

I guess my point was they are still an option...if you want to make it so. You can get them, since they are OEM on JK's. You have enough lift to run a 32 inch tire...just need to up the wheel size to 17. Small trade-off in my mind.

I'm a big fan of the Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s I put on a few months ago. Handle great in the mud and reasonable on the highway. I was interested in the KM3s but couldn't wait out their release date and I got these on sale.
6e84231aee1140df0c22e240154baa85.jpg
8e7b5f479a3494c944be47a5fbc44059.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sure, but how many mud holes did you traverse.
Zero. I hate mud, and will do all I can to avoid it.

So my point is if it isn't really that much more aggressive of a tread and I know the duratracs are quiet on the road and cheaper. I am going to stick with my Duratrac.
I drove my co-worker's Jeep with Duratracs, and they were what I considered loud on the street IMO.

I was next to a JK yesterday that had the BFG MTs that came on it. That thing was roaring down the street due to the tire noise...

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are a bad tire, They just are not the tire for me anymore.
There you go.

Reactions: billiebob

I drove my co-worker's Jeep with Duratracs, and they were what I considered loud on the street IMO.

I was next to a JK yesterday that had the BFG MTs that came on it. That thing was roaring down the street due to the tire noise...

There you go.

This is actually one of the main things I dislike about my duratracs. I have them on my truck where tire noise is really noticeable. I find they are louder than a tire like a BFG All Terrain and in the same range of noise as my old BFG MTs. From a grip point of view though, they don’t perform like the MTs did. I feel like I’m getting the noise of mud terrains and the grip of all terrains.

There you go.
That is really weird because I like them because they are quiet. haha. It must be because of my having a soft top. My Jeep is not really known for being quiet. Maybe the Jeep noise is just a little louder than the tires. lol

I guess my point was they are still an option...if you want to make it so. You can get them, since they are OEM on JK's. You have enough lift to run a 32 inch tire...just need to up the wheel size to 17. Small trade-off in my mind.
That is a good point, but getting the tires from the dealer is probably a huge expense. I will check it out though, but my suspicion since they don't make JK's anymore nor that tire anymore that they are probably discontinued and if not will be soon. Probably an updated part number matching the km2.

Even if that is not the case. I would probably find an affordable suitable replacement.

That was a good suggestion though. I didn't think of that.

Discount
That is a good point, but getting the tires from the dealer is probably a huge expense. I will check it out though, but my suspicion since they don't make JK's anymore nor that tire anymore that they are probably discontinued and if not will be soon. Probably an updated part number matching the km2.

Even if that is not the case. I would probably find an affordable suitable replacement.

That was a good suggestion though. I didn't think of that.
Discount Tire
Or do like I did, and find some take offs for dirt cheap...500 bucks for all 5

Screenshot_20180627-191745_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Local Wisconsin tire dealer said that BFG is having a big rebate Feb 14-15, 2020 - $150 rebate on 4 tires. I'm taking the bait and will order 5 new KM3's for my LJ.

I just went from duratracs(put on by PO,n ill never run them again) to km3s....much better imho.

I've also had ko2s before(never again either)...they get pea size rocks in the treads that don't eject. And when wheeling in 1-3 feet of snow they don't "dig" down enough to any dirt or gravel for better traction,and when I'd get wheel spin they wood just spin on top and create a icy patch underneath making getting traction even worse. Same thing happens to em in thick much. They just get caked up,and won't release it leaving you with no lugs to dig and grab for traction. But on the road and dry wheeling conditions they do well,but things are never dry here.

Also had original kms and they did a good job. No complaints with them.

Have federal couragias on my 04 and for the price I'm impressed with those. They dig n find traction really well.

Ran destination ATs and they we're meh...I'm done with any hybrid or AT tires...MTs just work and hook up better where I live,and where I go.

YMMV....just my experiences with what I've ran.

IMG_20200117_165554739.jpg

IMG_20200117_165446688.jpg

I just went from duratracs(put on by PO,n ill never run them again) to km3s....much better imho.

I've also had ko2s before(never again either)...they get pea size rocks in the treads that don't eject. And when wheeling in 1-3 feet of snow they don't "dig" down enough to any dirt or gravel for better traction,and when I'd get wheel spin they wood just spin on top and create a icy patch underneath making getting traction even worse. Same thing happens to em in thick much. They just get caked up,and won't release it leaving you with no lugs to dig and grab for traction. But on the road and dry wheeling conditions they do well,but things are never dry here.

Also had original kms and they did a good job. No complaints with them.

Have federal couragias on my 04 and for the price I'm impressed with those. They dig n find traction really well.

Ran destination ATs and they we're meh...I'm done with any hybrid or AT tires...MTs just work and hook up better where I live,and where I go.

YMMV....just my experiences with what I've ran.

View attachment 136675

View attachment 136676
they look nice. Hows the road noise on the highway?