BF Goodrich KO2 vs Patagonia M/T and noise levels

jeepndogs

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone run both and can compare road noise levels of the two? I’m hearing a lot of good things about the Milestars, if they are as quiet as they say I think these will be the next tire on the Jeep. I just hate to pull the trigger on them any they are just as loud as a typical M/T.

I've run both, on different vehicles.
The patagonias are quieter when new vs a k02. They're both about the same after 5-10k.

The patagonia does everything a k02 does better, while being significantly cheaper.
Rotate them every oil change, they are soft and will wear funny if not.

Reactions: jeepndogs
I’m pretty much doing the rotation like that now, typically every 2500 miles or so. Did they balance out well? From what I have heard they were a little tough to balance when they first came out but have been much better recently

I run the KO2’s on my F150, and the Patagonia’s on the TJ. Of course the vehicle weights are way different, as well as their uses. Both are fairly quiet. I actually think the Patagonias are a better tire, but time will tell. If I can squeeze the same mileage out of the Milestars that I have been able to get from my BFG, I’ll be a monkeys uncle.

Mine balanced fine from what I can tell.

I don't think they will last as long as a k02. I eat through tires on every vehicle faster than most.

I’m not as concerned on lifespan as I am noise level. We are planning a fairly long road trip with the Jeep and I have tinnitus so the tire noise plays havoc with me. Trying to find a good balance with the road noise for sanity sake.

Reactions: DrDmoney
When new they're silent. I have a bout 6k on mine now, and they're making noise, but they were driven with a lot of toe for ~1k miles and wore funny. Even now, they're just as quiet as set of similarly worn k02.

If you're worried about noise between them, they're the same.

Yes I figured the quietest I could get would have been the BFG but I think the pats are a little more aggressive. If the noise level is the same I will go with the pats out of the two

Yes I figured the quietest I could get would have been the BFG but I think the pats are a little more aggressive. If the noise level is the same I will go with the pats out of the two
You’ll like the Milestars. I have hearing issues as well, so I totally understand what you mean. High frequency hearing loss coupled with some tone deafness. I don’t hear exactly what everybody else hears, and I don’t hear it the same way. Crowded restaurants with background music are the worst. Mine took a little work to balance, but once they got it they’ve been great. A little slippery on wet pavement, but as long as you are aware it’s not really that much of an issue.

Yup, that’s exactly my issue. Doing collision work for 30+ years with grinding and hammering killed my hearing from 4K up. The SST pros I have on now were OK at first,10k later they are hitting the exact frequency that kills my ears. The only way I can drive the jeep right now is if I wear ear plugs and honestly some days that doesn’t even cut it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixer6
I'll be interested to see how the Patagonias wear later in life. The tread blocks remind me of the Falkens that were popular for a while before the middle band wore into a racing slick.

Reactions: Fixer6
I wore my KM2's down to about 7/32's and couldn't take the noise any longer. They actually created a resonant frequency at 50-60 mph that drove me nuts! While I can't give any advise on the Pats, I have 2k on my KO2's and they are quiet as a mouse and grip well in the wet stuff.

I'll be interested to see how the Patagonias wear later in life. The tread blocks remind me of the Falkens that were popular for a while before they wore into a racing slick right down the middle.

I know what you are talking about, the siping on the pats look to be pretty deep into the tread. I think these will wear better

The KO2’s on my F150 do pretty well on wet pavement, but suck on wet grass, or mud. So far the Patagonia’s are a little slippery on wet pavement, but do great in the wet off-road. I’ve got about 3k on them so far, and they’re still quiet. That may change with time though.

How do Duratracs play into this equation? I was going to buy K02's. But then I read that Duratracs are better in snow.

I did not consider road noise. And I too have hearing loss. And weird hearing problems. Any recommendation as to the quietness of the Duratracs compared to the other two being discussed? Also which one wears longer? I read that the K02's wear longer than the Duratracs.

I’d lean A/T KO2 if you are going to be primarily driving on the road and will see a good amount of rain, snow and ice. That said, the Milestar M/T actually appear to have some siping in a picture I pulled up. Very nice looking tires too. They would fair better in those conditions than any of the M/T’s that don’t have any siping (KMs for example, KM2s actually have a bit of siping).

I have a hard time believing any M/T tire would be quieter than the A/T KO2, especially if comparing new to new tires. My KO2’s are whisper quiet like @bobthetj03 mentioned.

Reactions: bobthetj03
How do Duratracs play into this equation? I was going to buy K02's. But then I read that Duratracs are better in snow.

I did not consider road noise. And I too have hearing loss. And weird hearing problems. Any recommendation as to the quietness of the Duratracs compared to the other two being discussed? Also which one wears longer? I read that the K02's wear longer than the Duratracs.

I have heard the Duratrac is actually a pretty loud tire, I actually was next to a Jeep with them rolling down the highway and I could hear them in my F-150 clear as day with the windows up. No clue what the condition of his tires were but they were loud.

I’d lean A/T KO2 if you are going to be primarily driving on the road and will see a good amount of rain, snow and ice. That said, the Milestar M/T actually appear to have some siping in a picture I pulled up. Very nice looking tires too. They would fair better in those conditions than any of the M/T’s that don’t have any siping (KMs for example, KM2s actually have a bit of siping).

I have a hard time believing any M/T tire would be quieter than the A/T KO2, especially if comparing new to new tires. My KO2’s are whisper quiet like @bobthetj03 mentioned.

I was leaning towards the KO2 because like you I can’t believe a M/T can be quiet. But I have heard from a few people here and on other pages that they really are that quiet. I have not been able to find anyone close enough to me yet so I can hear for myself. Discount tire sells both and advertise complete satisfaction so I am leaning towards getting the M/T and if it’s not as quiet as people say returning them and going the KO2 route

I'll throw one in from left field. Coopers have always been on the quiet side for any tire type. Their A/T are whisper quiet and I have heard the same for th M/T too. Good wear, easy balance and great traction to boot. Pay attention to load range. A loadrange C will normally be quieter than a higher load rating. And flex better. And normally that let's them grip better too.

I'll throw one in from left field. Coopers have always been on the quiet side for any tire type. Their A/T are whisper quiet and I have heard the same for th M/T too. Good wear, easy balance and great traction to boot. Pay attention to load range. A loadrange C will normally be quieter than a higher load rating. And flex better. And normally that let's them grip better too.

I’m running coopers SST pro right now. They were fairly quiet to start but that didn’t last long.