BFG KO2s worn out already

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
So after roughky 20,000 highway miles my KO2'S are almost done. I figure this winter I will replace them.
Any suggestions on an actual highway tire in the 33 inch range? I still have my rims for an offroad tire and don't mind swapping them out for the weekend Beach run.

This is my daily driver and we do 70 miles a day highway.

So after roughky 20,000 highway miles my KO2'S are almost done. I figure this winter I will replace them.
Any suggestions on an actual highway tire in the 33 inch range? I still have my rims for an offroad tire and don't mind swapping them out for the weekend Beach run.

Did you rotate them at appropriate intervals? 20,000 miles isn’t so great!

I've got 42K miles on mine, 33x10.50R15 KO2s. Probably going to replace them before next winter. I've never rotated them. Even wear all around. I run 26psi year round and rarely air down.

I'm a high miler, 24K miles a year, lots of highway, towing a 2K# trailer about 12K miles a year. This is my work vehicle.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Only getting 20,000 miles on a set of BFG All Terrains is surprising, I got over 50k on my first set and they were still good enough a friend moved them over to his TJ. Are you certain your toe-in is set properly, they're not over or under inflated, and you've done rotations somewhere around every 5k miles?

I run 26-27 psi. Rorate each oil change 4000 miles etc.
Maybe its the Summer heat here in southeadt Texas. I have talked to a few others here in the same boat.

I've got 42K miles on mine, 33x10.50R15 KO2s. Probably going to replace them before next winter. I've never rotated them. Even wear all around. I run 26psi year round and rarely air down.

I'm a high miler, 24K miles a year, lots of highway, towing a 2K# trailer about 12K miles a year. This is my work vehicle.
Pavement temps are cooler so a lot of tires last longer up north. My tires would only get 20K in Utah, same tires would go 50 in Alaska.

We get 2 months of 90 plus temperatures too. We might be colder in the winter but we drive on sand and crushed rock for 4 months so I don't see a huge difference between UT, or my Uncles home in CO, and where I live in BC, where I get 45K to 50K miles on a set of tires.

I'd love to hear from guys in the hot states like Florida, Arizona, California. I think a few of them have already chimed in with excellent mileage.

I'd get a 4 wheel alignment done. The simple quick answer would be incorrect toe in on the front axle. Especially if you drive 70 miles a day at highway speeds. Since you rotate regularly, the wear would show equally on all 4 tires.

Reactions: astjp2
K02s are a soft compound, if you drive aggressive on the road they will wear quickly. They are nothing like the KO. A more street oriented AT will give you better mileage like the Firestone A/T or Yokohama Geolander A/T. If you have the money the Goodyear Silent Armor is great but I don't know if they have 33" versions.

Reactions: Sancho
I bought my Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 35's used off a JK , owner said he put 50,000 on them but still had good life in them. I've put 10,000 on them so far and expect to get another 20-30k. Super quiet on the highway, great on and offroad traction. Only downside is they are load range E so they ride a little stiff (I aired them down to 24 psi which helped a ton). They are not cheap but are way cheaper than buying a set of "cheap tires" every 20-30k. Have these same tires in 33's on my 1500 pickup. 45,000 miles on them, look about half wore out. I have no reason to buy a different tire, couldn't be more happy with them.

Reactions: DETOUR
Hi - I live in UK and I am on my 3rd set of KO2’s got 45 thousand miles from each of the first 2 sets

I've got about 10k on mine right now, but with averaging only about 100 miles a month, I'll be replacing them due to dry rot long before they are worn out...

Reactions: Rubicon88
I get at least 40k out of mine with 90% of my driving on the roads & highways. Still think it's the best tire for occasional off-road use, rainy-hot-Texas shit weather.

Reactions: Rubicon88
We get 2 months of 90 plus temperatures too. We might be colder in the winter but we drive on sand and crushed rock for 4 months so I don't see a huge difference between UT, or my Uncles home in CO, and where I live in BC, where I get 45K to 50K miles on a set of tires.

I'd love to hear from guys in the hot states like Florida, Arizona, California. I think a few of them have already chimed in with excellent mileage.
I'm in mid GA and have never gotten less than 50K mi out of any BFG MT over the last 25 yrs or so daily driving and running up I-75 to TN on my YJ and TJ. I have 10K on a set of KO2s on the YJ now that still look new.

I'd have a 4 wheel alignment check done.

Somthing isnt proper here. I would think if your alignment is that off you would notice. How's the driving?
Email the tire manufacturer and let them know and ask for there input.
I get way more mileage on cheap Ironman AT on my F250.

You should have a mileage guarantee on those tires. It may be something about TX heat.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the following as a possible reason for OP's less than expected BFG T/A All Terrain KO2 longevity:

There are now two different BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 tire compounds available in many sizes, which I learned for the first time when shopping for new tires for my 4WD Sprinter:

(1) The Three Peak Mountain Snowflake version with "all season"/snow service rating , and

(2) the "DT" version with harder compound, different sipes, and a 50,000 mile mileage warranty. (DT stands for Different Tread, not Discount Tire as mistakenly assumed by one of the employees there).

For my Sprinter, I consciously chose the TPMSF version even though I knew the tread compound was softer than the DT version because I intend to make several long trips during the winter months and wanted a tire good everywhere I might want to go in bad weather more than I wanted a tire that would give me the most miles.

For a jeep or another vehicle that would seldom be above the snow line I would have chosen the DT version, which has the manufacturer's M+S designation rather than the TPMSF rating.

From the Tire Rack website:

Note: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires labeled "DT" utilize a different tread compound designed to improve wear in high-torque applications and improved chip and tear resistance in gravel. Tires featuring this compound carry a 50,000-Mile Treadwear Warranty and are NOT branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol. They can be identified by the "DT" branding on the sidewall immediately following the service description, and are labeled on the Specs page and in search results.

See:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...plained-merging-all-seasons-and-winter-tires/
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

I put ~35k on a set of Cooper ST Maxx 33's and they had 11/32" of tread depth left when I sold them. I was very impressed with that all terrain tire.