BFG Tires

Jim Byrne

TJ Enthusiast
I am running BFG mud terrains and love them om rocks & general desert use but they wear out fast (3/16 in 3000 miles). I check my pressure often (28 psi). In the past I ran BFG all-terrains which also wore fast, but not this bad. Is anyone else having this wear problem.

That wear sounds very excessive to me. I have 24K miles on mine, mostly street driven, and I'm at about 10/32 - 11/32 tread left. BFG's site says 18/32" tread depth new. So you've managed to scrub off as much tread in 3K miles as I have in 24K miles. Something is amiss.

Reactions: StG58
We don't know what kind of wear he's experiencing? Maybe it needs an alignment? Worn out parts?

More info would be helpful
The tires are wearing evenly, just fast. If the alignment or balance was wrong they would have a uneven or wavy pattern; if the pressure was wrong , they would have wear on the outer edges (if low) & if high, the center would be worn. None of this is happening. Also all steering & suspension parts are in great shape & tight.

Hey @Jim Byrne, how fast are you driving on what kind of trails? Hauling butt on sharp gravel and rock will grind a set of tires down pretty fast. The partial solution is cheaper tires with a harder compound. You give up traction for tire life though.

Hey @Jim Byrne, how fast are you driving on what kind of trails? Hauling butt on sharp gravel and rock will grind a set of tires down pretty fast. The partial solution is cheaper tires with a harder compound. You give up traction for tire life though.

I drive street, dirt, rock & sand and take it easy---no hi speed on the desert trails that I drive. I don't like to break things and have been doing this for the past 55 years.

I am running BFG mud terrains and love them om rocks & general desert use but they wear out fast (3/16 in 3000 miles). I check my pressure often (28 psi). In the past I ran BFG all-terrains which also wore fast, but not this bad. Is anyone else having this wear problem.
I just want to clarify what you’re saying here. Are you saying you only have 3/16” of tread left or that much wore off in 3,000 miles?

I just want to clarify what you’re saying here. Are you saying you only have 3/16” of tread left or that much wore off in 3,000 miles?

The way I read it, he wore 3/16" of tread off in 3K miles. I have worn 3/16" of tread off in 24K miles, so something's up.

I drive street, dirt, rock & sand and take it easy---no hi speed on the desert trails that I drive. I don't like to break things and have been doing this for the past 55 years.
I understand, but I had to ask. My KO2's go 50+ since I stopped driving in the basalt. Somethings going on though. You said two sets have done this? AT and MT?

Here is some parts of New Zealand the back roads are sometimes laid with crushed lava stone and they have ripped tyres apart faster then stipulated by manufactures...so maybe its the terrain he's on?

I tend to run 32psi on the road, whilst its only 4psi more I'm wondering if you are getting more wear because of the lower air pressure you are running?
I run KM2's and get around 40 000km's (24 000 miles) out of them, but I tend to change them out before they wear out completely.