Bham Alabama to Coppinger Cove TN (Pic Heavy)

Fouledplugs

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride along in a 94 YJ via the back roads to Coppinger Cove, Tenn to do some wheeling and camping. Hunting for rock gardens. All on a whim with my brother.

~300 miles via the back roads, red label 38s, one tons. No interstates on this trip.

94 Jeep Wrangler YJ running factory 4.0, factory 5 speed, Dana 300 twin sticked, XJ leafs forthe rear wb stretch, wagoneer leafs for the front wb stretch, Dana 60 front, GM 14 bolt rear, 38 inch sticky’s.

More pics to come as I have my full frame camera along with me for this trip.
ADB45426-F42F-4B3F-9861-DC2B648387C1.jpeg
A5424231-49C5-42CA-A2C6-AF5C7707C3B4.jpeg
C2D78C33-96DE-46C1-813C-468F7FED1C58.jpeg

Last edited:
The Falken stickies really hook up even as worn out as they are :(. This Jeep is really the perfect build for over landing. It drives straight, the custom Alcan spring over springs provide a nice ride and works better than a factory YJ over bumps with the extended wheelbase and the Rancho shocks.

The factory 4.0 and 5 speed pull the one tons and 38s great. The Jeep will pull and cruise at 70mph just as easily as my stock TJ and doesnt wonder in the lane.

The Detroit lockers in the Dana 60 and GM 14 bolt work great on the street and the trail. Never leaving us without confidence to tackle any trail we pointed it at Saturday and Sunday.

We mostly wheeled the trails in front wheel drive via the two speed Dana 300 and it makes it a HELL OF A LOT EASIER to get in and out if tight trails, turns, as well as walking the front end back around if you get sideways on a climb.

While I was out there I immediately thought it would be the ultimate spot for a factory or near factory TJ/LJ to wheel. Honestly I have been to a lot of parks in the south and Coppinger Cove rises to the top IMO. Its hours and hours of wheeling and runs mostly parallel to a beautiful stream that’s really blue and clear. There is also a cave you can wheel in that is huge but I have yet to go down that trail. The sheer amount of rock gardens and the quality of them is insane. Best part..hardly any mud, as the bottom is mostly rock as you can see in the photos.

We saw tons of RZR’s and a few Jeeps throughout the trip. As we were leaving some really nice TJ’s were rolling in on one tons and 40s. Small axles just dont cut it down South, thats why Dana 44’s are found so cheap around here often.

I highly suggest camping like we did somewhere along the trail. As we spent all day wheeling and still didnt get near the end of the trail as darkness approached.

Ask me any questions you might have. It honestly is the best trail riding I have seen for a Jeep.

Last edited:
That looks like a great place for wheeling! I’d love to check that out sometime. Great pics! How deep did the water get? I see it at around the bottom of the front diff in a picture, but it looks like it probably got deeper than that.

Awesome rig man!

Reactions: Fouledplugs
That looks like a great place for wheeling! I’d love to check that out sometime. Great pics! How deep did the water get? I see it at around the bottom of the front diff in a picture, but it looks like it probably got deeper than that.

Awesome rig man!
The water depth really depends on the amount of rain in the local area. I have heard it can get very deep. The spots we crossed never got deep enough to raise an eye brow. Any stock Jeep would be fine at the levels the rivers/creeks are normally at.

That’s a awesone yj. You built this?
How would this jeep do as a daily driver? Looks legal in Georgia.

How often do you drive this jeep and how much cash do you have in it?