California Big Bear Father’s Day weekend

Added to Calendar: 06-18-21, 06-19-21, 06-20-21, 06-21-21

I haven't run John Bull and GOld Mountain but both look doable for me, and if those two runs are packed I'm sure the team can figure out other options.

Is my assumption correct that JB is 6-7 hour run and GM is 2-3. So, if we run both and its smooth sailing (no bottle necks/break downs) were looking at a 8-10 hour day??

I'd say that's a fair amount of time. I usually run it a little faster but it depends on the amount of people that are out there. I'll admit that I usually like to keep rolling with little downtime. I'm not one to worry about small issues like scratches which keeps the wait factor down. I've waited in a line up on these trails but I don't want to hold up a train behind me.

I'd say that's a fair amount of time. I usually run it a little faster but it depends on the amount of people that are out there. I'll admit that I usually like to keep rolling with little downtime. I'm not one to worry about small issues like scratches which keeps the wait factor down. I've waited in a line up on these trails but I don't want to hold up a train behind me.
I’ll have to bow out of that big of a day. My little one can’t do that many hours in the jeep. I’m going to stick with Gold Mountain on Saturday and if things change maybe something else afterwards but likely just Gold Mountain and call it a day.

I'm down for a rain check on John Bull and return some time in the middle of the week. So, I'm good with GM.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Won't be making it but thank you for planning. On the way out, head towards Bear Mtn Ski Resort and take Skyline Drive down to Seven Oaks. Follow Seven Oaks Rd to 1N09 which intersects with the 38. That will take you home. It's not at all aggressive and you'll only use 4 Low because it's downhill. But the views....holy crap. They are amazing!!!!

I’m in Aruba. I am going the weekend after Father’s Day, either Saturday or Sunday for a day trip. Nothing solid as far as trails go yet. All are welcome. The only trail the fam does not want to do is dishpan. JB, Holcomb, gold Mtn. All good.

Last edited:
I need to bow out of this weekend. If I get the rest of the parts for my motor early this week I'll be installing it this weekend.

I had some part scheduling issues, and work that was supposed to be done 6/7 won’t start until 6/21. I’m down for gold mountain, and intermediate trails.

I will have bent steering and no front locker so Holcomb creek and JB make me nervous.

If all goes well I'll have my Engine in over the weekend then I'll be itching to get back out. Maybe a BB trip the weekend after the 4th would be a good time to get up there. It's all contingent on whether my build works.

So, what are the plans for this run? GM on Saturday??
Yes, with JB as a possible depending on the variables. 8am start it’s looking like. I’ll DM you my number

Reactions: WSS
When the mechanic took my housing apart monday to do my locker, he said the bearings, races, and pinion were all loose and I was "any minute" away from grenading the front end. SO I'm doing new ring, pinion, seals, races, and bearings. Parts will be here friday and add $700 to the cost of my mods.

SOOOOOOO glad I didn't grenade on the second waterfall.

Last edited:
Reactions: WSS and Nickgsjeep