California Big Bear weekend November 6th and 7th

Does anyone know if this trail (John Bull East) is frequented enough that going without a group is OK?
This appears to be one of the "easy" trails in the area and the wife & I are heading to Big Bear next weekend and would like to give it a run.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this trail (John Bull East) is frequented enough that going without a group is OK?
This appears to be one of the "easy" trails in the area and the wife & I are heading to Big Bear next weekend and would like to give it a run.
Super dangerous to go alone, I rarely see folks on the trail on weekends especially in places like Big Bear, be safe out there.

I would say there is enough traffic on the weekend. I did JB east and JB solo rig this summer. Traffic both ways. A CB and or a GMRS is helpful, CB over GMRS as you have to coordinate channels. But if you run into a group, ask for the freq and PL tone (if they use one) Plenty of good trails rated under a 6 on that side of the mountain too. Makes for a good day running.

Agreed. Lots of traffic on John Bull on the weekend. You could hang out at the entrance and I'm sure most would let you join them. I wouldn't count on finding anyone during the week though.

Holcomb and John Bull are the most difficult trails in Big Bear. I wouldn't go on either alone.