Bike carrier with good clearance

-T.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Thinking of taking along a mountain bike to Colorado later this summer. We may be cruising some easier passes, so I might let my daughter take the wheel for a bit and do a bit of riding. Does anyone have suggestions for a rack that will hold the bike good and tight and up high enough that I don't accidentally drag it through tougher stuff if we happen to get into it? No hitch on my Jeep, so it will need to be spare tire mounted, I think. I am pretty sure just about anything will suffice if I just add some extra straps to snug it tight to the tire, but just curious if anyone in the group has some first hand experience.
Thanks!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

If you're mounting off the spare tire, I don't think you're going to have any issues with clearance. Other than maybe that a bike on a rack is wider than a TJ, so you have to keep the sides out of the obstacles and brush.

I use a hitch-mounted rack all the time, but I don't take it out on anything more rugged than a moderately civilized fire road. You lose a lot of departure angle with a hitch-mounted rack, although some hitch-mounted racks are better than others.

thule-bicycle-spare-tire-mount-carrier-tspro963-10.jpg

Spare tire racks sit a lot higher, and generally tighter to the rear end.

(Edit) That's a Thule rack, in case you're wondering.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NN6MN4/?tag=wranglerorg-20