Bikini Top 101

NOTNSUV

NOW I Know!
Supporting Member
Is the bikini a two man operation? Maybe 3 for me if I supervise.

Can't seem to get the plastic lip to stay in place more than a few inches before it pops back out, especially when I fold the corners down.

Spyderwebshade or such might have to do.

PXL_20220521_215937456.jpg

Last edited:
What brand is it? Does it have/need a header?

Should be a one man operation considering the oem top is easily done with one person.

I do also have a spider web shade. Those are really easy to put on.

It looks like a BestTop. They can be a pain especially if they are cold and new. Those corners that are bowed up will bow down but will never work great. They just don't fit well in the channel, at least that's how mine is. It can help to attach or if you have full doors pinch the sides to keep it in place. With practice it'll get easier. There are many good bra and bikini jokes to be made here.

Should be a one man operation considering the oem top is easily done with one person.

Bestop with new Bestop header.
It is definitely a pain and I boxed it up. Probably too late for a return but POS IMO. Should not be that much work. Warmed in the sun for an hour, tried instructions, YouTube, where they skip the hard part in time lapse. Sure don't wanna fight it every year.
Corners will fold down but need calamari appendages 😂.
And I thought I was getting top shelf shit 😆.
Gonna go Spiderweb looks like.

I was hoping you'd tell me how easy it was at the expense of feeling stupid.

I'll fine.

Reactions: BillW

Bestop with new Bestop header.
It is definitely a pain and I boxed it up. Probably too late for a return but POS IMO. Should not be that much work. Warmed in the sun for an hour, tried instructions, YouTube, where they skip the hard part in time lapse. Sure don't wanna fight it every year.
Corners will fold down but need calamari appendages 😂.
And I thought I was getting too shelf shit 😆.
Gonna go Spiderweb looks like.

I was hoping you'd tell me how easy it was at the expense of feeling stupid.

I'll be fine.

It looks like a BestTop. They can be a pain especially if they are cold and new. Those corners that are bowed up will bow down but will never work great. They just don't fit well in the channel, at least that's how mine is.
Thought I'd done my research.
It can help to attach or if you have full doors pinch the sides to keep it in place.
Full doors kinda defeats the sweet feeling I'm after..
With practice it'll get easier. There are many good bra and bikini jokes to be made here.
Screw practice.

Took me 1% of the time I just spent figuring out my first one handed bra release.
Are they Velcro these days? Lazy kids.

PXL_20220521_201042805.MP.jpg

PXL_20220522_004714845.jpg

Bestop stuff so far in my experience is over hyped. In an LJ I have fewer options, but my next will likely be another POS rampage. Might as well pay 1/3 the cost twice as often.

It looks like a BestTop. They can be a pain especially if they are cold and new. Those corners that are bowed up will bow down but will never work great. They just don't fit well in the channel, at least that's how mine is.
Thought I'd done my research.
It can help to attach or if you have full doors pinch the sides to keep it in place.
Full doors kinda defeats the sweet feeling I'm after..
With practice it'll get easier. There are many good bra and bikini jokes to be made here.
Screw practice.

Took me 1% of the time I just spent figuring out my first bra release.
Are theyVelcro these days? Lazy kids.
Bestop stuff so far in my experience is over hyped. In an LJ I have fewer options, but my next will likely be another POS rampage. Might as well pay 1/3 the cost twice as often.
I did that for a xouyho
Speaking of lazy, if you let it sit out in the sun for a bit even on a cold day it'll make it much easier. I know it sounds obvious but it does help.
I did that for a couple hours of 70* full sun. Dunno.

duct tape - if you have a soft top or care
trim adhesive - if you don't have a soft top and don't care

It was a one man operation for me.
Then i stepped back and took a good look at it and really didn't like how it barely goes over the back seat.
Cheap pos IMHO

• Dislike
Reactions: NOTNSUV
I used a heat gun to get those corners nice and warm. I worked them until they developed a curve that more closely matched the header. Once they were a better shape I started in the center of the header and installed a few inches at a time while frequently switching sides. They still aren't perfect but have stayed in place. I seem to recall someone on her installing some screws to keep the corners down tight.

I had the same problem. I bought a MasterTop bimini top. It took 3 days to get it on. On the third day, I read the directions. If there are tie downs near the header, attach them first. Then try the header plastic. Also more than an hour of laying in the sun. I had to lay mine out down side up for a couple of hours. The directions said after the first time, the plastic will take form more closely to the header. Mine will not come off until fall,, when the hard top goes back on.

That's a bummer it's not working out for you. I've never had their bikini but I use their frame less top like a bikini and it works really well. I've been running without windows for about 6 weeks straight.