Billwynburger's 2005 Jeep Wrangler SE

Billwynburger

TJ Enthusiast
2005 wrangler SE 2.4 banger

I'm not sure if I call this a build or not. I've only owned it for about 3 months so I'm fairly new at this. I'm changing a few things here and there. I want it to be solid & reliable more then anything. Get me to work in the snow, weekend vehicle/toy. Nothing special, mostly stock, no lift. A few things I've done so far:

15 inch Pro-comp steel rims
Crosswind mudders 31X10.5
Moog front & rear sway bar links & bushings
SkyJacker steering stabilizer shock
Smittybuilt XRC front bumper 3/16 steel
Barricade trail force HD rear bumper 3/16 steel
Front & rear drive shaft u-joints Dana spicer
Cobra sound tracker 29 WX CB radio
6 ft fire stick antenna
Best top floor mats
Cabelas trail gear seat covers

A winch is on the list and I'm pretty sure I need a new muffler.

Thanks for looking

Bill
mygreenjeep.jpeg
jeeper1.JPG
jeepers2.JPG

Last edited:
I love SEs.... cool colour. Honestly, I'd add lockers before buying a winch. I've often thought... oh shit time to winch, then got locked up and thought... oh shit why'd I spend $$$ on that winch.

I love SEs.... cool colour. Honestly, I'd add lockers before buying a winch. I've often thought... oh shit time to winch, then got locked up and thought... oh shit why'd I spend $$$ on that winch.

Thank you

I haven't researched rockers too much, I'm guessing pretty expensive yeah? I don't run hardcore trials, I try to keep all 4 on the ground but I get a little nervous sometimes if I get hung up or stuck, I run solo. So if I get Lockers I don't need a winch?

Thank you

I haven't researched rockers too much, I'm guessing pretty expensive yeah? I don't run hardcore trials, I try to keep all 4 on the ground but I get a little nervous sometimes if I get hung up or stuck, I run solo. So if I get Lockers I don't need a winch?

Lockers do not equate to not needing a winch. You could do an Aussie locker in front which are about 275 bucks plus install if you can't diy. Although they are very easy to install. The rear is a bit trickier. You really do not want a locker on stock Dana 35 axles. So your options are, Truetrac in rear on stock axles or a Super 35 kit which includes hardened 30 spline axles and a locker of various makes. The TT will run about 450 plus install, the S35 kit is about 1100 plus install.
I personally run the Aussie/TT combo and it works great. I don't run hardcore stuff and am on 31's so the combo is just what I need.

Lockers do not equate to not needing a winch. You could do an Aussie locker in front which are about 275 bucks plus install if you can't diy. Although they are very easy to install. The rear is a bit trickier. You really do not want a locker on stock Dana 35 axles. So your options are, Truetrac in rear on stock axles or a Super 35 kit which includes hardened 30 spline axles and a locker of various makes. The TT will run about 450 plus install, the S35 kit is about 1100 plus install.
I personally run the Aussie/TT combo and it works great. I don't run hardcore stuff and am on 31's so the combo is just what I need.

Thank you, I really appreciate the great advice. I'll start with the Aussie in front and work my way back. Hopefully I can find a good youtube video and install myself.

This is definitely a great forum!

So if I get Lockers I don't need a winch?
Exactly !! Especially if you don't do hardcore wheeling. 2WD when you spin out is actually 1WD. 4WD is actually 2WD unlocked. Locked up, ALL 4 wheels turn the same speed regardless of traction.

I try to keep all 4 on the ground but I get a little nervous sometimes if I get hung up or stuck, I run solo
In those cases lockers are all you need. With lockers, I go thru ditches, up gravel slopes with no wheelspin, zero drama. Leave the axles unlocked and its claw and scratch to the top. Often needing more of a run if I want to avoid spinning out.

And if you are as you say, a cautious 4 wheeler, with lockers you will never use a winch.

You really do not want a locker on stock Dana 35 axles
Sometimes this is true but in your case, an SE, 4 banger and 31s.... There no comparison to a 4.0L and 33s. And as you say, you are a bit more cautious than some of the guys on this forum.

Question on the 2.4 liter: There's absolutely no denying more power and torque of the 4.0 but if only running a 31 inch tire or maybe even a 33 in the future. At very low speed on the trail no major steep rock climbing or mud bogging, does the little 4 banger do OK for moderate off road trails?

Nice tj! Welcome to the forum. Looks like you are on your way to a nice ride!

Hi thanks Kathy,

I made it up to Wisconsin one time, Madison. Watched some football had the best cheese burger in my entire life, partied a little bit and had another burger at the Blue Moon cafe. They don't call me Wynburger for nothing. Happy trails!

Hi thanks Kathy,

I made it up to Wisconsin one time, Madison. Watched some football had the best cheese burger in my entire life, partied a little bit and had another burger at the Blue Moon cafe. They don't call me Wynburger for nothing. Happy trails!
If you were gonna visit any town in WI , mad town is a good one :)

Reactions: Billwynburger
If you were gonna visit any town in WI , mad town is a good one :)

LOL I had a lot of fun up there. Cheese heads, packers football, beers, burgers, bucky the badger running around, partying on the lake near the college, they had a name for that place I can't remember it. Brings back some good memories. Mad town!

Reactions: Kathy
Question on the 2.4 liter: There's absolutely no denying more power and torque of the 4.0 but if only running a 31 inch tire or maybe even a 33 in the future. At very low speed on the trail no major steep rock climbing or mud bogging, does the little 4 banger do OK for moderate off road trails?
It will do fine on 31's. 33's will definitely need a gear change. I wasn't thrilled with 3.73/31 combo so I installed 4.88's. Works very well, keeps rpms up where the little 2.4 makes the most power. Awesome creeping ratio off road as well.

Don't take lockers for granted. You can get stuck with them as well. Especially when your brain says, "You got lockers, go for it!" :D A winch is always a good to have, if not for you for someone else in trouble.