Bilstein 5100s ride rough

No way you joined just to post this...who are you really?
Ha! No didn't join just to post that. Joined because the wife and I have a 2004 Sahara and planning on lifting it and wheeling in the Pacific NW. Looks like you're not far away? You probably know some good spots?

Reactions: P man
Ha! No didn't join just to post that. Joined because the wife and I have a 2004 Sahara and planning on lifting it and wheeling in the Pacific NW. Looks like you're not far away? You probably know some good spots?
A likely story.

Don't be fooled, @P man!

• Haha
Reactions: P man
4" lift w 33x15x12.5s @ 27 PSI. I'm running 5100s after changing out Skyjackers from PO. I find road ride better/acceptable, way better offroad. Springs are unknown; I'd love to change to MC springs someday.
Why do you want MC coil springs? So you can add a spacer made of coil springs?

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
What's so ugly about this amazing looking spring? On the website you can even see it moving! Also the fine print says that without these springs your ride will be too low and squishy and affect ride quality. 🤣

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.35.46 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
I honestly don't wheel..strictly mall crawler if anything. I would post in the regional section there are lots of people that can give you direction where to wheel.

@JMT
@Wildman

I honestly don't wheel..strictly mall crawler if anything. I would post in the regional section there are lots of people that can give you direction where to wheel.

@JMT
@Wildman

For @TJOregon the closest place to play is the Tillamook Forest. Do a search for Browns Camp. Then if you want to travel there is Evans Creek, Elbe Hills, Reiter and Walker Evans on the westside. And in central WA the Little Naches area.

What's so ugly about this amazing looking spring? On the website you can even see it moving! Also the fine print says that without these springs your ride will be too low and squishy and affect ride quality. 🤣

View attachment 331126

For the record they ride the same as the Currie fronts I had. Lol
Just wish I could find some cushy riding springs………

• Haha
  • USA Proud
Reactions: JMT and rasband
I'm on 5150s since 2009 when I bought my TJ (PO installed). The main issue, from my point of view, is small event responsiveness. If I'm really wheeling, aside from bottoming once in a while, then the Bilsteins work well for what I would expect. Unfortunately, the TJ rides like a truck on the road. Bone jarring on small events. The worst day I ever had was 120 miles on the Hole-in-the-Rock road which is severely washboarded. Totally miserable.

I want to change shocks but there are a lot of related choices. Do I want to outboard--yes. Do I want to stretch?--yes but I'm waffling because of the gas tank issues. I don't want a fuel cell inside the cab and I don't want to lose tank capacity.

While I'm stuck, I'm living with the Bilsteins (much easier since I no longer commute to work).

There's a cryptic nature to shocks on the forum. Do you know a magical shock tuner? If you don't know one, your new expensive shocks could be worse than the existing. Will somebody else's magical shock tuner tune your new shocks? Doesn't seem likely because I don't have a relationship... Then there's the shading and discrediting. Your magical shock tuner isn't magical at all--the work he/she does is a travesty... Overall it's pretty difficult for an enthusiast (as opposed to an expert) to be confident they're making good choices.

Reactions: Deputy Dodge
There's a cryptic nature to shocks on the forum. Do you know a magical shock tuner? If you don't know one, your new expensive shocks could be worse than the existing. Will somebody else's magical shock tuner tune your new shocks? Doesn't seem likely because I don't have a relationship... Then there's the shading and discrediting. Your magical shock tuner isn't magical at all--the work he/she does is a travesty... Overall it's pretty difficult for an enthusiast (as opposed to an expert) to be confident they're making good choices.

This, in general, is why I tend to do my own work (not just shocks). If I screw something up and need to bring in an expert anyway, I at least know what I'm talking about a little more. There isn't anything mechanical I've ever seen that I'm not afraid to take apart. Most stuff even goes back together properly...

You can toss flavor in to make up for that issue, also things like nuts to fix the texture issue.

There's no fixing mushy ranchos. Mine are mushy too, someday I'll get them tuned to fix that though.
I'm blaming wasting time writing this on you....and of course this thread!

The current ride gives me pain
I’m sure it’s not the seat.
Let’s talk shocks once again
It’s a subject we like to repeat.
Bilsteins ride rough most agree
It’s a shock we love to bash.
Ranchos are a favorite of Jerry B
While Fox requires some cash.
Black Max is new in the game
But needs to earn its keep.
Others to pick are mostly lame
Because custom is king of the heap.

;)

Last edited:
They discontinued my favorites. ;)
View attachment 331014
I used to work at the factory in West Chicago, IL where these were made. Someone at the factory accidently poured an entire 5 gallon bucket of the Boo-Berry flavoring concentrate down a storm drain. The contents ended up in the nearest stream and made the entire neighborhood smell like artificial blueberry flavoring for a couple days.

I'm blaming wasting time writing this on you....and of course this thread!

The current ride gives me pain
I’m sure it’s not the seat.
Let’s talk shocks once again
It’s a subject we like to repeat.
Bilsteins ride rough most agree
It’s a shock we love to bash.
Ranchos are a favorite of Jerry B
While Fox requires some cash.
Black Max is new in the game
But needs to earn its keep.
Others to pick are mostly lame
Because custom is king of the heap.