Binding and popping when turning

Mumblewood

TJ Enthusiast
So i just put my jeep back together and now have a bit of a problem.

I was moving is out of the garage which took some sharp turning and small nudges forward and back since there’s a large dumpster in my driveway (house remodel) blocking my exit from the garage.
It started out fine but then it wouldn’t turn at all. Then a loud pop and it turned good for 1 or 2 turns then it would happen again. It didn’t matter if it was left or right. I got out every time this happened and looked at everything. There is plenty of clearance, nothing is hitting anything. If I jacked it up it would turn easy and would not bind. But as soon as there’s weight under it and a couple turns into it it would go again.

I just tried to make it happen again (it was “stuck” and it worked fine, but now when turning left almost at full there is a “pop” but nothing really happens.

Just so ya know what I have, it’s a rubicon so Dana 44, full traction track bar, currie tie rod and ends RCV axles PSC steering gear (about a year old but 0 miles and I did the bleed instructions and have no air bubbles. New spicer ball joints

Since the problem appears to only exist when the weight of the vehicle is on the suspension; then I would enlist the assistance of a friend and dry cycle the steering while inspecting the steering components.
Something is either worn, loose or rubbing.
I would check the condition of the front axles U joints; look for rust coming from around the U joint cups where slide onto the trunions.

Last edited:
Reactions: tr21triton
Pulled the tie rod and swapped it for a stock that I know is good, not that, then I saw my neighbor and had him cycle it a few times, looks like the track bar is loose. So I’ll get a new bushing and tighten it all back up.
Only thing I think is off is would that cause the super hard steering that happened? It seems to turn fine now minus the pop but it makes me wonder if something else is wrong.
Any ideas anyone?

Got it figured out and fixed today, when then carrier was out the little plunger for the front locker was all the way in. Pulled the carrier out a couple times till I got it to sit right doing the toothpick string thing. Took a couple tries but when it worked you can definitely feel and hear it.

Reactions: taylormade73