Black Hard Top Color Restoration

Moliver11

Supporting Member
This past weekend I decided to try and restore the black color to our 2003 TJ that we purchased a few months ago. Like many TJ hard tops the paint was oxidizing and in need of some work. I read through the forum on multiple ways others cleaned and brought back color. Thanks to all that have contributed to this forum, so many great ideas and a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully this post will assist others to clean and restore their hard top's color.

Before going down the path of a re-paint, I decided to try using a Magic Eraser with warm water. The Magic Eraser did a great job of cleaning and removing 70-80% of the oxidation. Not knowing what the Magic Eraser would do to the pain, I started on a small area using light pressure and then increased in size. I could see the change immediately after making the first pass. With a little more confidence I increased pressure to the Magic Eraser and went over the entire top. After rinsing I was amazed how much better the hard top looked.

The Magic Eraser cleaning job took less than 30 minutes. While it did an incredible job removing most of the oxidation, I decided to bust out the orbital buffer along with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Yep, I extended a 30 min job into a 2 hour full-on hard top clean and buff. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound took off another layer of oxidation and did a great job of cleaning the surface. The last step, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish not only cleaned any remaining surface oxidation, it brightened the surface and brought back most of the black color.

Total time for the hard top was around 2 hours from wash, Magic Eraser, Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish. I couldn't be more satisfied with the results and decided to go over the entire Jeep with the Ultimate Compound followed by the Ultimate Polish. All surfaces are now clean, prepped, and read for an application of a ceramic wax spray.

Wanting to protect the work I did on the hard top and all painted surfaces, I spent some time researching many different waxes. I'm amazed how far the wax industry has evolved. Yesterday I purchased Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating and will go over the entire Jeep, including the hard top, when the product arrives. I probably spent more time researching spray waxes than it will take to apply lol.

The next several posts contain pictures showing the "before" any work was performed to the hard top followed by each step mentioned above. I'm separating pics to show the difference on the top, side and rear corner using the Magic Eraser, compound, and polish.

Last edited:
Following pics are of the top of the hard top.

Before any work was performed...
TJ Top Before_Top.jpg

After Magic Eraser...
TJ Top After Magic Eraser_Top.jpg

After Meguiar's Ultimate Compound...
TJ Top After Compound_Top.jpg

After Meguiar's Ultimate Polish...
TJ Top After Polish_Top.jpg

Finally a few more shots of the hard top after the last step of polish was applied...

TJ Top After Polish_2.jpg

TJ Top After Polish_1.jpg

TJ Top After Polish_3.jpg

TJ Top After Polish_2.jpg

Hope this is able to help others contemplating what to do with their hard tops. After I apply the Turtle Wax Ceramic wax spray I'll post a few more pics. I'll also keep track on how long the finish stays this way and if/when the oxidation comes back.

Last edited:
Nice information. I recently used the magic eraser on my black hardtop. Even though there was not a lot of oxidation it did a really nice job. I will have to use some compound and wax next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moliver11
That turned out really nice! I’ve seen a lot of people using the Flood Penetrol but it seems to have more of a glossy finish than this. This looks more like the OEM finish in my opinion.

Reactions: Moliver11
That turned out really nice! I’ve seen a lot of people using the Flood Penetrol but it seems to have more of a glossy finish than this. This looks more like the OEM finish in my opinion.
I thought about using Penetrol, wasn't sure if that would actually remove the oxidation. I also enjoy spending time in the garage waxing/polishing vehicles. Call me crazy, it's therapeutic lol.

Reactions: Daron and ranger101
Damn, that turned out super nice! Thanks for sharing this (y)
Thanks Chris. The TJ got a lot of attention this past 3-day weekend. Besides cleaning the top and then buffing all painted surfaces, I also installed wheel adapters to accept Rubicon take-off's and then replaced the door hinge bushings (TMR). Good times!

Reactions: Chris
Finally a few more shots of the hard top after the last step of polish was applied...

View attachment 189061

View attachment 189058

View attachment 189059

View attachment 189060

Hope this is able to help others contemplating what to do with their hard tops. After I apply the Turtle Wax Ceramic wax spray I'll post a few more pics. I'll also keep track on how long the finish stays this way and if/when the oxidation comes back.
My hard top has been sitting in my driveway for months looking like crap, think I'm going to pick up some magic erasers and show it some TLC. Thanks for the write up!

My hard top has been sitting in my driveway for months looking like crap, think I'm going to pick up some magic erasers and show it some TLC. Thanks for the write up!
No problem. Someone else on the forum mentioned using Magic Erasers, thought I'd give it a try. I was so impressed on the results I knew the Meguiar's I had in the cabinet would also work. Honestly 2 hours max and I was done. My wife couldn't believe the results. I'm going to apply the ceramic spray wax this evening, let it cure, and then another coat tomorrow evening. Hopefully this will protect from the sun and slow down the oxidation. I keep it garaged, that too should help. Good luck!

This past weekend I decided to try and restore the black color to our 2003 TJ that we purchased a few months ago. Like many TJ hard tops the paint was oxidizing and in need of some work. I read through the forum on multiple ways others cleaned and brought back color. Thanks to all that have contributed to this forum, so many great ideas and a wealth of knowledge. Hopefully this post will assist others to clean and restore their hard top's color.

Before going down the path of a re-paint, I decided to try using a Magic Eraser with warm water. The Magic Eraser did a great job of cleaning and removing 70-80% of the oxidation. Not knowing what the Magic Eraser would do to the pain, I started on a small area using light pressure and then increased in size. I could see the change immediately after making the first pass. With a little more confidence I increased pressure to the Magic Eraser and went over the entire top. After rinsing I was amazed how much better the hard top looked.

The Magic Eraser cleaning job took less than 30 minutes. While it did an incredible job removing most of the oxidation, I decided to bust out the orbital buffer along with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Yep, I extended a 30 min job into a 2 hour full-on hard top clean and buff. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound took off another layer of oxidation and did a great job of cleaning the surface. The last step, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish not only cleaned any remaining surface oxidation, it brightened the surface and brought back most of the black color.

Total time for the hard top was around 2 hours from wash, Magic Eraser, Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish. I couldn't be more satisfied with the results and decided to go over the entire Jeep with the Ultimate Compound followed by the Ultimate Polish. All surfaces are now clean, prepped, and read for an application of a ceramic wax spray.

Wanting to protect the work I did on the hard top and all painted surfaces, I spent some time researching many different waxes. I'm amazed how far the wax industry has evolved. Yesterday I purchased Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating and will go over the entire Jeep, including the hard top, when the product arrives. I probably spent more time researching spray waxes than it will take to apply lol.

The next several posts contain pictures showing the "before" any work was performed to the hard top followed by each step mentioned above. I'm separating pics to show the difference on the top, side and rear corner using the Magic Eraser, compound, and polish.
How many Magic Erasers did you need for your project?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Can you use magic erasers on the body paint? I have some dye stuck to mine and oxidation. Wondering if it would remove that without messing up what clear coat i have left.

Can you use magic erasers on the body paint? I have some dye stuck to mine and oxidation. Wondering if it would remove that without messing up what clear coat i have left.
I would be hesitant to use Magic Eraser directly on paint. Instead, try a liquid compound (production mentioned in my description on main post), followed by a polish (again, product in main post). These are safe for clean coats. Hope this helps.