Black Hard Top Color Restoration

After performing the multi process listed in the main post, this past weekend I applied Turtle Wax’s spray ceramic wax. It’s not a 100% ceramic application, it appliers to be a hybrid.
I was questionable about using a spray application and thought paste wax with elbow grease was the way to go. To my surprise, the spray ceramic Turtle Wax is considered easier to apply and performs much better.
1st application was yesterday around 3PM. S simple spray on, wait to haze, and the ln buff off. The surface was was very slick. I kept it in the garage overnight and throughout the next day. At 3:30, 24 hours after the first application (to let it cure), I applied the second application. Everything went according to plan. Adding another application seemed to increase the surface gloss and slickness. I’ll let it cure for 24-hours and then drive.
Turtle wax’s supply of ceramic was was very easy to apply and cost maybe ~$16 for an entire bottle.
Product information says it would last up to up to 6-months. I’m monitor by the “feel” test.
Hope this entire write-up is beneficial to several folks. It was all trial and error, thankfully all success. Expect to use some elbow grease😉, the orbital buffer was a great time savior. Although not 100% needed. Lastly, used quality soft fiber cloth to apply and removed. They can be washed and “refreshed” with Chemical Brothers laundry detergent as well.
Enjoy!

Reactions: THEREALJIM
Hard top came out great! Very nice job. Did the turtle wax change the appearance at all after two applications?

Wow, what an amazing write up! Thanks so much! I just got an 03 as well and the top was grey. Thought about the whole painting thing until I read your how to. I figured it was worth a shot. I did magic eraser, meguires cleaner wax and now am waiting for the ceramic turtle wax to arrive to finish! So far very happy with it. It's actually black again!!!!!!

Pictures = nothing, half magic eraser/half nothing, half cleaner wax and buff/half magic eraser, all cleaner wax and buffed.

20201026_072846.jpg

20201026_075419.jpg

20201026_084048.jpg

20201026_085943.jpg

Reactions: SSTJ and Moliver11
Wow, what an amazing write up! Thanks so much! I just got an 03 as well and the top was grey. Thought about the whole painting thing until I read your how to. I figured it was worth a shot. I did magic eraser, meguires cleaner wax and now am waiting for the ceramic turtle wax to arrive to finish! So far very happy with it. It's actually black again!!!!!!

Pictures = nothing, half magic eraser/half nothing, half cleaner wax and buff/half magic eraser, all cleaner wax and buffed.

View attachment 198814

View attachment 198815

View attachment 198816

View attachment 198817
Wow! What a difference!!! Glad to have helped. Your top came back surprising well. I had my top off and stored in the garage after I cleaned mine, hard to say how long it will last. The hard top went back on last week with the colder weather. I plan to update this thread during the Fall and Winter to show how long it lasts and if I needed to perform any additional steps.

What's nice about the process, it doesn't take an extremely large amount of time. Hopefully I can catch any additional fading before it gets out of control to keep it looking nice.

Nice work!

Hard top came out great! Very nice job. Did the turtle wax change the appearance at all after two applications?
Sorry, I missed this earlier. The Turtle Wax gave it a bit more of a shine, didn't remove any oxidation. I did the entire Jeep and the pain is still very slick and the water beads and rolls off just as it did the week after applying. It's only been a month+, we'll see how it performs going into the Fall and Winter. It's so easy to apply, I might give it another coat if we get a day of warmer weather during Nov.

Reactions: TWiG01
I did this on my LJ top. It started out in pretty good condition but it is really nice now. I felt like I could have gone on forever getting more black off with the magic eraser.

Reactions: Moliver11
Sorry, I missed this earlier. The Turtle Wax gave it a bit more of a shine, didn't remove any oxidation. I did the entire Jeep and the pain is still very slick and the water beads and rolls off just as it did the week after applying. It's only been a month+, we'll see how it performs going into the Fall and Winter. It's so easy to apply, I might give it another coat if we get a day of warmer weather during Nov.
Thanks, I may give this a try while the weather is still half decent.

I wonder if magic eraser would work on plastic parts that have faded? My third brake light looks like shit.
I tried it on my Rubicon fender flares. Did not make a difference at all. I've got a pretty decent third brake light doing nothing for me if you want it but you could paint the black parts of yours with a good auto trim paint made for plastics and make a huge improvement.

I tried it on my Rubicon fender flares. Did not make a difference at all. I've got a pretty decent third brake light doing nothing for me if you want it but you could paint the black parts of yours with a good auto trim paint made for plastics and make a huge improvement.
Ya. I did my flares in sem adhesion promotor and sem trim black. Thats what ill do to my 3rd brake light.

I've tried everything on flares too. Only remedy = paint.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I really wish I would have seen this before I used Penatrol on mine. Hopefully that'll eventually wear off and I can do this. It doesn't look bad now, but the magic eraser thing looks a lot better.

I really wish I would have seen this before I used Penatrol on mine. Hopefully that'll eventually wear off and I can do this. It doesn't look bad now, but the magic eraser thing looks a lot better.
I think the Magic Eraser and buffing is definetly a way to physically remove the oxidation. You see the black on the pad and rags. I'm not sure how Penatrol works with oxidation. Does it remove and disolve or simply brighten the area and will come back? Either way once oxidation starts it will come back. Following the post I created should get most off and then treat every 6 months or so with a protector.

Great write-up and tips! I have a used 02 hardtop on mine that beat and mostly gray. Was thinking of painting it next spring. Mine looks more like @tkarbs in his original condition. I'm trying this method first before painting!

Great write-up and tips! I have a used 02 hardtop on mine that beat and mostly gray. Was thinking of painting it next spring. Mine looks more like @tkarbs in his original condition. I'm trying this method first before painting!
...or her. Haha! Sorry, just thought I'd correct you. Super happy with the original write up so that I could follow it and get good results. I imagine mine had never been touched since 03, so hopefully I can keep it looking better going forward.

...or her. Haha! Sorry, just thought I'd correct you. Super happy with the original write up so that I could follow it and get good results. I imagine mine had never been touched since 03, so hopefully I can keep it looking better going forward.
Oh, wow! Yup, just heard my bestie's voice in your words correcting me! She'd be pissed at my assumption! My bad! Great work and write-up!! 👋 🙂

Thanks, just happy to have a place to come, learn and follow. Thought I'd post mine to show how great the original how-to worked for me!
And the best thing about the process, it’s fairly easy and doesn’t take much time. Good luck everyone. Get those hard tops cleaned and protected before Winter hits!