Black Magic Brakes Squeaking

Michael Alzen

Supporting Member
I put BMB on my rig just over a year ago. They work great but developed a squeak on the passenger side that's driving me crazy. They were silent for the first few months before the noise began. Since it started I've replaced the rotors, caliper, and flushed the entire system with no change. It will squeak even just driving without any brake pedal applied, so maybe the pad dragging is what caused the issue to start? Could that have glazed the pad to some extent and created the squeak?

Any advice on how to remedy would be great. I love the stopping power but I've got to get this noise taken care of.

Have you thought about contacting the vendor you purchased the brakes from? Perhaps you did something wrong in the install or in the bedding in process.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Have you thought about contacting the vendor you purchased the brakes from? Perhaps you did something wrong in the install or in the bedding in process.

I hadn't, actually. I don't necessarily think it's an issue with the type of pad itself, but thought I'd list in case it's relevant. If it was an issue with the bedding process I would have expected it to show up sooner than 6 months.

Have you verified that the dust shield is not contacting the rotor?

Who did you buy them from?

I would contact Blaine from Black Magic if I were you. I surmise he will assist you in troubleshooting.

Have you verified that the dust shield is not contacting the rotor?
I don't have dust shields, but thanks!

I just realized that I may not have replaced the calipers on mine. I was doing work on mine and a friends identical LJ around the same time and I'm not sure if it was his or mine I replaced those on.

Who did you buy them from?

I would contact Blaine from Black Magic if I were you. I surmise he will assist you in troubleshooting.

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm not sure why I didn't think to go to them directly in the first place, my first thought is always this forum. I bought direct from BMB and I'll contact them to get their thoughts. Maybe replace calipers, rough up the pads and re-do the break in? I'll see what Blaine says.

I don't have dust shields, but thanks!

I just realized that I may not have replaced the calipers on mine. I was doing work on mine and a friends identical LJ around the same time and I'm not sure if it was his or mine I replaced those on.

Yeah that's a good idea, I'm not sure why I didn't think to go to them directly in the first place, my first thought is always this forum. I bought direct from BMB and I'll contact them to get their thoughts. Maybe replace calipers, rough up the pads and re-do the break in? I'll see what Blaine says.
Are the pads right side up? Do you have divots in the cast sliders that the pads ride on?

Are the pads right side up? Do you have divots in the cast sliders that the pads ride on?

I've taken a few pictures of how I have them installed. Anything jump out that I did wrong? For what it's worth, I installed the same brakes on my buddie's LJ and his have been flawless.

Well shittles.

If that's all it is I'll be glad for the easy fix. Thanks for the help, I'll update after I switch them and take it for a drive.

Do I need to do anything to the pads themselves to correct any damage done?
Make sure there are no divots in the sliders on the knuckle.

There are minor divots. I'll fix the pads and look into repairing the divots this weekend. Mistakes were made, lessons were learned.

Thanks a TON for the help.
These pads are dead silent when broken in. If they make any noise, that tells us something is out of whack somewhere and we need to find it.

Update:

After switching the pads to be the correct direction and redoing the break in process they're quiet again. Thanks again for the help!

I don't suppose you have any tips for quieting down squeaky springs?

Update:

After switching the pads to be the correct direction and redoing the break in process they're quiet again. Thanks again for the help!

I don't suppose you have any tips for quieting down squeaky springs?
Squeaky coil springs? If they make noise they must be making metal to metal contact somewhere that is moving.

Squeaky coil springs? If they make noise they must be making metal to metal contact somewhere that is moving.

I think it's the coil springs. It's frustratingly intermittent and I haven't been able to recreate it unless I'm driving, which makes it difficult to track down. I'll look for anything close to the springs and any marks to see if I can find them making contact somewhere.