WTB: Black TRE Safety Thimble Fairlead

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab

"Semper Discens"
Lifetime Supporting Member
It seems the black went out of stock right about the time I figured out it will fit in my setup. I called, and the gal who answered told me that they are having a supply problem with raw aluminum and don't have any idea when they'll get some. They still have the bright silver in stock, but I'm really partial to the black ones. If you have one you'd like to sell, or if you know of one in stock somewhere, I'd be obliged!

Thanks,
sab

It seems the black went out of stock right about the time I figured out it will fit in my setup. I called, and the gal who answered told me that they are having a supply problem with raw aluminum and don't have any idea when they'll get some. They still have the bright silver in stock, but I'm really partial to the black ones. If you have one you'd like to sell, or if you know of one in stock somewhere, I'd be obliged!

Thanks,
sab
They fibbed.

• Haha
Reactions: toximus and sab
They fibbed.
Do tell?
Buy silver and have it anodized, easy as that.
Chris, I've had things anodized over the years (motorcycle parts and guns, mainly), and I haven't ever been satisfied because it's never been as good as a production piece. I would guess there's a trick to anodizing things, and when you do the same part over and over, you figure it out and get good, consistent results, but when you're anodizing a single part, you only get one shot at the parameters...

Do tell?

Chris, I've had things anodized over the years (motorcycle parts and guns, mainly), and I haven't ever been satisfied because it's never been as good as a production piece. I would guess there's a trick to anodizing things, and when you do the same part over and over, you figure it out and get good, consistent results, but when you're anodizing a single part, you only get one shot at the parameters...
That’s interesting. I’ve had so many things anodized over the years I can’t keep track. I’ve never been disappointed and always felt that it was just as good as anything I’ve ever bought that came anodized the color I wanted it. I suppose it boils down to whoever is doing the work.

Reactions: sab
Do tell?

I know for a fact that there is a batch done and waiting to go to anodizing and then laser engraving.

That’s interesting. I’ve had so many things anodized over the years I can’t keep track. I’ve never been disappointed and always felt that it was just as good as anything I’ve ever bought that came anodized the color I wanted it. I suppose it boils down to whoever is doing the work.
It would be rare based on our experience to find anyone other than the shop they use that can do UV stable black that doesn't fade.

It would be rare based on our experience to find anyone other than the shop they use that can do UV stable black that doesn't fade.
I was curious about that since I’ve seen many black anodized pieces fade due to UV rays. I wasn’t sure if there was such thing as UV stable anodizing, but it sounds like there is such a thing.

I was never having my stuff done in black, and it was usually not exposed to sun light much at all so I guess I missed out on what could have happened.

I know for a fact that there is a batch done and waiting to go to anodizing and then laser engraving.
Interesting. Their site doesn’t accept backorders, and I’ve noticed there are several retailers that drop ship their stuff and will take an order now. Can you recommend someone I might be able to order from now in order to “get in line?”

Thanks,
sab

Interesting. Their site doesn’t accept backorders, and I’ve noticed there are several retailers that drop ship their stuff and will take an order now. Can you recommend someone I might be able to order from now in order to “get in line?”

Thanks,
sab
No idea. I don't know that end of it.

I was curious about that since I’ve seen many black anodized pieces fade due to UV rays. I wasn’t sure if there was such thing as UV stable anodizing, but it sounds like there is such a thing.

I was never having my stuff done in black, and it was usually not exposed to sun light much at all so I guess I missed out on what could have happened.
Take a look at the Savvy black tail lights some time. I don't know of any that have ever faded or changed color. Same company does both.

Take a look at the Savvy black tail lights some time. I don't know of any that have ever faded or changed color. Same company does both.
That’s why those things always look so new. I’ve seen some black anodized parts that just look terrible after sitting in the sun.

This is why I would always just go for the raw aluminum parts in the past, because at least you know they wouldn’t look like shit after a year in the sun.

That’s why those things always look so new. I’ve seen some black anodized parts that just look terrible after sitting in the sun.

This is why I would always just go for the raw aluminum parts in the past, because at least you know they wouldn’t look like shit after a year in the sun.
They have tried many other companies, we've tried a few. We always have issues with the other so we go back to the one that always gets it right.

Reactions: sab and Chris

Patina is sexy
DiaT49pickup201bw4.jpg

The problems I've had with custom anodizing are fading, uneven application resulting in a mottled look, and color changes. The color changes have even occurred in production parts. Black, mil-spec Type III hard anodizing seems to change to having a purple tint to it over time. Not cool when your black rifle is now a purple rifle ;)

Guys, thanks for responding! I've placed an order for a black fairlead through a drop-shipper, hoping to now "be in line" for one of the ones Mr. Blaine mentioned above. We'll see...

The problems I've had with custom anodizing are fading, uneven application resulting in a mottled look, and color changes. The color changes have even occurred in production parts. Black, mil-spec Type III hard anodizing seems to change to having a purple tint to it over time. Not cool when your black rifle is now a purple rifle ;)

Guys, thanks for responding! I've placed an order for a black fairlead through a drop-shipper, hoping to now "be in line" for one of the ones Mr. Blaine mentioned above. We'll see...
The color change seems to be related to how they mix the color. I've seen the purple, reddish, brown, and green over time.

I've placed an order for a black fairlead through a drop-shipper, hoping to now "be in line" for one of the ones Mr. Blaine mentioned above. We'll see...

As seems to be the norm, @mrblaine was spot on and gave me great advice. I noticed on Monday that TRE suddenly had them in stock again, and I just got notification that the big brown truck will be dropping mine off tomorrow! All I need to do is install that, put the rope on the winch and wire it up, and my front bumper assembly is complete!

Thanks, Mr. Blaine! You know, for the forum a-hole, you sure are a helpful feller! You can call me a dumbass all you want - I have thick skin! :giggle:

sab

Reactions: Apparition
As seems to be the norm, @mrblaine was spot on and gave me great advice. I noticed on Monday that TRE suddenly had them in stock again, and I just got notification that the big brown truck will be dropping mine off tomorrow! All I need to do is install that, put the rope on the winch and wire it up, and my front bumper assembly is complete!

Thanks, Mr. Blaine! You know, for the forum a-hole, you sure are a helpful feller! You can call me a dumbass all you want - I have thick skin! :giggle:

sab
It ain't dumb if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.