Blackjacks 8.7AK

and a candle with some success.

What do you mean "candle" ?? How use or what ?? I had also thought might heat the bolt heads and then easy twist to break the rust or corrosion ? To get the bolt to come out.

Did Santa get up to Alaska ?? Nothing for me; evidently just thinking of being naughty was enough to get off the "nice" list !!

What do you mean "candle" ?? How use or what ?? I had also thought might heat the bolt heads and then easy twist to break the rust or corrosion ? To get the bolt to come out.

Did Santa get up to Alaska ?? Nothing for me; evidently just thinking of being naughty was enough to get off the "nice" list !!

Old school method.

Santa got me a cover for the Traeger and a digital angle finder. My eldest daughter on the other hand set me up with these.

IMG_3440.jpeg

Got it off of the bumper. Heated the bolt heads with oxy/ac torch some and they came out with a little convincing. Small ones BP and they come off as well after breaking bond; snap and they came out !! Could not get the candle to melt !! Tough place to get to !!

Good afternoon.

Wish to share my appreciation for this thread (and others similar), particularly to the knowledgeable folks for sharing.

I recently acquired an 8274. Picked it up for $550 Canuckbucks. Seems in good, reasonably well maintained condition. This assessment based on almost zero real experience with winches. Time tells all tales and allows for learning.

General thoughts and/or advice appreciated.

Thanks muchly and wish a good weekend to all.

Tim

20240120_153919.jpg

20240120_153902.jpg

20240120_153834.jpg

Good afternoon.

Wish to share my appreciation for this thread (and others similar), particularly to the knowledgeable folks for sharing.

I recently acquired an 8274. Picked it up for $550 Canuckbucks. Seems in good, reasonably well maintained condition. This assessment based on almost zero real experience with winches. Time tells all tales and allows for learning.

General thoughts and/or advice appreciated.

Thanks muchly and wish a good weekend to all.

Tim

View attachment 493003

View attachment 493004

View attachment 493005

It looks to be OK on the outside but until you get a battery hooked up to it to see if the motor & solenoids are good it's hard to say. But most times if they've been abused/mistreated they'll look like crap on the outside.
The control box is in the back of the motor BTW. Loosen up the hose clamps and just rotate it to the front.

Great find.

until you get a battery hooked up to it to see if the motor & solenoids are good
BJ This one looks good, but is it not better to take it apart before putting the current to the motor. If locked up for some reason or motor issues ?
Solenoids can be tested each. Is it possible to short out the motor if it has been wet or ?? D

Tim: This is good to replace when cleaning and popping the case. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQBMQI?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
BJ This one looks good, but is it not better to take it apart before putting the current to the motor. If locked up for some reason or motor issues ?
Solenoids can be tested each. Is it possible to short out the motor if it has been wet or ?? D

IMO it's just as easy to hook a battery up and see if it spools in & out. Of course the first thing is to try free spooling it to see if it's locked up or not. I would doubt you could do any damage to the internals by applying power to it. I've owned 5 so far and this was how I always tested them. Once I applied power if something didn't work then I dug into it to determine the issue. My current one passed the initial test as it would power in & out but once I tried to do an actual hard pull with it I found out that the motor was seriously lacking. When I tore it down to rebuild the internals were all good other than the oil being contaminated with water.

I usually pull the clutch and give the brake a spin and go from there.

Appreciate the first thoughts, thank-you.

When we arrived the seller had the winch clamped in a vise with a battery hooked up. The winch easily powered out and in. The free spool was doable with minor effort. I did not discern any concerning noises. But then I don't know cheet from cherry stones regarding winches.

The seller is in his late 60s. His property is upscale and will kept. The shop was clean and tidy. Said the winch was used as a pull winch on his utility trailer and he was the original owner. All in all, good vibes for buying anything used.

My LJ is off the road until the end of the salt festival. I'll have time to tinker at it and learn.

I'm not in the habit of fixing what ain't broke. That said, figure splitting the winch case open is warranted. Take a gander inside, and fresh oil if nothing else.

The nasty roll of cable shall be turfed in short order. @Blackjack I'll hit you up for some some rope and a breather kit, yes?

Thanks all.

Tim

Appreciate the first thoughts, thank-you.

When we arrived the seller had the winch clamped in a vise with a battery hooked up. The winch easily powered out and in. The free spool was doable with minor effort. I did not discern any concerning noises. But then I don't know cheet from cherry stones regarding winches.

The seller is in his late 60s. His property is upscale and will kept. The shop was clean and tidy. Said the winch was used as a pull winch on his utility trailer and he was the original owner. All in all, good vibes for buying anything used.

My LJ is off the road until the end of the salt festival. I'll have time to tinker at it and learn.

I'm not in the habit of fixing what ain't broke. That said, figure splitting the winch case open is warranted. Take a gander inside, and fresh oil if nothing else.

The nasty roll of cable shall be turfed in short order. @Blackjack I'll hit you up for some some rope and a breather kit, yes?

Thanks all.

Tim

Hey if it works you are on the right track to clean it, oil/grease it and run it. You can always make changes later.

When you are ready for a rope and breather send me a message.

Hey if it works you are on the right track to clean it, oil/grease it and run it. You can always make changes later.

When you are ready for a rope and breather send me a message.

Thank-you good sir. Appreciate your input along with the wealth of knowledge you've already shared. You will certainly hear from me in the future.

Are the Warn TJ 8274 mounts available @Blackjack? Last time I looked they were on backorder.

If they aren't available you can get a universal mount and then make your own. There are a few different options available just depends on what you want.

Reactions: reddvltj
Are the Warn TJ 8274 mounts available @Blackjack? Last time I looked they were on backorder.

If they aren't available you can get a universal mount and then make your own. There are a few different options available just depends on what you want.

I will have to see when Warn will have them again but there are some floating out there.