Blackjacks 8.7AK

They always seem to discontinue stuff that some find really KEWL later on. And it's a shame many times because it might sell if they were to make it again.

Yes I'd be interested in one if you know of some place to get more. How do you seal the motor?

I might be getting ahead of you but is there any reason to drill the brake shaft as some have done? I know on the 70th Anniversary model that was done.
What is interesting with Warn sometimes is the they will cling onto stuff that needs to go the way of the dodo and pitch stuff that might be a little ahead of its time.

I had to buy way more of those bolts than I would like to admit. I guess I should figure out what they might be worth and put them up for sale.

Drilling the brake shaft became a thing in Australia when they started putting big power through them and the snap ring could not hold up. You can try and drill the shaft but you are better finding someone with a lathe as some of the shafts are harder than a witches heart. I am trying my best to get Warn to cough up a service part number for the -70 shaft which is being used on all current production 8274s. Or you can use a shaft from GIgglepin.

Reactions: Wildman
What is interesting with Warn sometimes is the they will cling onto stuff that needs to go the way of the dodo and pitch stuff that might be a little ahead of its time.

I had to buy way more of those bolts than I would like to admit. I guess I should figure out what they might be worth and put them up for sale.

Drilling the brake shaft became a thing in Australia when they started putting big power through them and the snap ring could not hold up. You can try and drill the shaft but you are better finding someone with a lathe as some of the shafts are harder than a witches heart. I am trying my best to get Warn to cough up a service part number for the -70 shaft which is being used on all current production 8274s. Or you can use a shaft from GIgglepin.

Yes I have heard that about that shaft. Seems a few guys have burnt up more than a few drill bits trying to drill it.
If Warn ever coughs up the PN for that shaft let me know. I don't know that I need it but what the heck.

Again I hope I'm not jumping a head of stuff you're gunna post but what are your feelings about some of the other mods that some guys have done to their 8274? Like the drain tube at the bottom or drilling and tapping the top cover for a plug so it's easier to add oil? I haven't torn into my 8274 I have sitting on my bench but the plan is to bead blast it and repaint everything. I have a new sticker set for it also.

I have a junk one sitting in a box also that someone had ran too long so it wore into the housing I think it was. But I got it for cheap so I figured why not.

Yes I have heard that about that shaft. Seems a few guys have burnt up more than a few drill bits trying to drill it.
If Warn ever coughs up the PN for that shaft let me know. I don't know that I need it but what the heck.

Again I hope I'm not jumping a head of stuff you're gunna post but what are your feelings about some of the other mods that some guys have done to their 8274? Like the drain tube at the bottom or drilling and tapping the top cover for a plug so it's easier to add oil? I haven't torn into my 8274 I have sitting on my bench but the plan is to bead blast it and repaint everything. I have a new sticker set for it also.

I have a junk one sitting in a box also that someone had ran too long so it wore into the housing I think it was. But I got it for cheap so I figured why not.
I have not put too much thought into that yet. The castings are thin so you have to be careful. I know that it was common overseas for guys to tap the top cover and put a fitting for air hose as they ran positive pressure into all their breathers during water crossings.

Here is a picture of how one guy put a drain at the bottom and a fill plug at the top.

1610439674647.png

And then added grease zerks to the end housing. I know there is just a busing there so don't know how much this does or doesn't help.

1610439777961.png

He drilled the busing to allow the grease to get to the drum.

1610439954033.png

This is the build thread.

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... | IH8MUD Forum

I have a bunch of different rebuild threads bookmarked for reference but like what you have done the most.

Here is a picture of how one guy put a drain at the bottom and a fill plug at the top.

View attachment 217394

And then added grease zerks to the end housing. I know there is just a busing there so don't know how much this does or doesn't help.

View attachment 217395

He drilled the busing to allow the grease to get to the drum.

View attachment 217396

This is the build thread.

My WARN 8274 rebuild part 1..... | IH8MUD Forum

I have a bunch of different rebuild threads bookmarked for reference but like what you have done the most.

I would probably avoid pipe thread for the top plug just because it is tapered. I do like the lower just curious how he attached the fitting. I have put zerks on the dead side support and probably will on this one later. Originally I was thinking of going to some kind of bearing but it is not truly needed until you are running twin motors.

He explains how he put the drain in the lower housing in that thread. I was under the impression that there wasn't a bearing available for the dead side unless it was something custom?
I was planning on taping and installing zerks on the dead side like he explained and do the drain also.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That is below WD pricing so better grab one before they figure it out.

Already did and it was delivered yesterday. I would have gone with the other motor but the price was just too GOOD to pass up.
And then my contactor got sent to Sheridan, WY instead of to me?? But the seller is shipping out a new one. Just figured I'd share since that was a crazy price.

Already did and it was delivered yesterday. I would have gone with the other motor but the price was just too GOOD to pass up.
And then my contactor got sent to Sheridan, WY instead of to me?? But the seller is shipping out a new one. Just figured I'd share since that was a crazy price.
Nothing wrong with the XP motor lots of people running them all over the planet. You just loose the sleeper factor.

WOW you guys are waaaaaaaaaaay over my head.🤓 I am happy my little Zeon 8S just works whenever I need it😉
That Zeon is a good winch. Some of us tackle terrain where we just want more than an off the shelf winch gives us.

Marsden laughs at that comment.
I seriously doubt he laughs at the 9.5xp but even if he did I wouldn't give a fuck. Anyone who would laugh at it has their nose stuck up their or someone else's ass. They serve two different marketplaces and levels of users. Their winches start at $2700 or so and go up, which I definitely wouldn't spend for a winch doing what I do. The 9.5xp is a good winch even when some choose to sneer at a mere single motor Warn winch.

• Face Palm
Reactions: L J and Irun
I seriously doubt he laughs at the 9.5xp but even if he did I wouldn't give a fuck. Anyone who would laugh at it has their nose stuck up their or someone else's ass. They serve two different marketplaces and levels of users. Their winches start at $2700 or so and go up, which I definitely wouldn't spend for a winch doing what I do. The 9.5xp is a good winch even when some choose to sneer at a mere single motor Warn winch.
That's an entirely different statement than your "off the shelf winch is hard to beat". You actually even know who Marsden is even though you haven't put two and two together yet. He is the UK announcer for KOH who has come over several times to compete. He is a champion in the UK for many of their off road "winching" events. Winching in quotes since they depend more on their high speed winches than they do vehicle capability. So yes, if you showed up to compete against him with my or your 9.5xp, he would seriously giggle at you and maybe even pin your ears back a bit.

• Face Palm
Reactions: Jerry Bransford