Blaine's an asshole (safe space)

Is Blaine an asshole

• Total voters
One of my favorite pastimes post covid has been to revisit highschool and undergraduate physics in detail. It's scary how l much I seem to have taken for granted in every topic I've visited so far.
I've never been the type cut out for the academic life - but if I were, I would have gone into high energy physics. It fascinates me!

Kat worked for Corning's Nichols Institute Diagnostics. She started working on the package line and worked her way up to be the manager of both the packaging department and the filling departments in less than 2 years. She won their (Corning's) highest award and they flew us to Florida for the presentation, nice vacation, very nice dinner, took us out collecting little red spiders, the whole nine yards.

They got a new CEO, he spent a lot of time getting her feedback on stuff, working with her to implement a lot of better things for the company. Then one day he asked where she went to school for her degree. Didn't, just a high school education. If he could have fired her on the spot, he would have and actually should have because from that day forward, she may as well have not existed. Mind you, she was the only APICS certified planner they had, had won their highest award for excellence, and worked circles around her degreed fellow employees. The only thing that mattered to him was a piece of paper.

That is sad. A lot of folks in upper management are detached from reality.

Reactions: Irun and jjvw
Yep, the whole valley in my experiences is exactly like that. Oddly, it is not a low sample rate. I believe in community and helping out with anything I can do. It did not take long to discover that is a one way street here. We then made it a quest to see if there were any outliers that might be of a similar mindset to ours. Nope, they all appear to be that way.
Around here it's the self centered, self absorbed, what can you do for me attitude.

a couple years ago I fixed a neighbors V-10 Ford Excursion. Just about every exhaust manifold bolt was broken off in both heads.
It was a rusted piece of shit. The dealer quoted him 3k to fix it.
I spent a day and a half of my time repairing it for the guy. I didn't charge him a dime, and he never once thanked me.
The biggest fuck you was when he knocked on my door and told me the vehicle failed inspection because my repair caused the catalytic convertors to go bad (P0420). I kindly explained to him that driving it around for 10k miles with the manifolds basically hanging off the heads is what caused the convertor to go bad.
So I no longer bother.

Last edited:
I've never been the type cut out for the academic life - but if I were, I would have gone into high energy physics. It fascinates me!
I did really well in school when I went. I dropped out my senior year because of a promising job that didn't work out. Let's just say I learned never to work for relatives.
I did get my GED and applied to the local community college back in 2005. I aced the entrance exam and started taking courses for
Radiation Therapy. Unfortunately life got in the way and I never finished. Now with a bum shoulder from years of being an automotive tech, I'm looking for a career change.
Everything has changed so much, I was going to go back and finish my degree, but now you have to submit an application letter and go before the board.

Around here it's the self centered, self absorbed, what can you do for me attitude.

a couple years ago I fixed a neighbors V-10 Ford Excursion. Just about every exhaust manifold bolt was broken off in both heads.
It was a rusted piece of shit. The dealer quoted him 3k to fix it.
I spent a day and a half of my time repairing it for the guy. I didn't charge him a dime, and he never once thanked me.
The biggest fuck you was when he knocked on my door and told me the vehicle failed inspection because my repair caused the catalytic convertors to go bad (P0420). I kindly explained to him that driving it around for 10k miles with the manifolds basically hanging of the heads is what caused the convertor to go bad.
So I no longer bother.

I stopped working on my step-daughter's vehicles when everything that went wrong after I fixed a problem had to be due to that fact that I worked on it even though the new issues had nothing to do with the old. It sucks that people can be like that.

Reactions: TWiG01
There are days when that really takes the fun out of things. I've tried to interact with most of the folk in a 3-4 block radius and then support any that are on FB offering various services that I can use. Across the board they have all been terrible.

Right off the bat they think I am filthy rich and that gives them the right to way overcharge. Then they don't show up when they are supposed to, don't do a good job, and then wonder why I'm pissy.

There have been several who I have saved metal for, collected cans and bottles for so they could recycle and get paid. All that has done is make them grumpy with me because I didn't do it right. They can all fuck off, now I just throw it all away.

We gave 6-10 large contractor size plastic trash bags full of aluminum cans to the gent up the road who was struggling some and had asked us to save them. Kat tossed some wadded up aluminum foil in the bags since we did not know any different. He made it a point to stop by on the way back from collecting his money to tell us we fucked up and to not do it again. Not a problem, sorry about that, we will never save another single aluminum can, there, all better now?

Neighbor up around the corner has stopped by to have me patch together various completely worn out cheap metal rocking chairs they use on the porch and the seat bases in the broken down 80's El Camino. I'd done it about 10 times or so. I finally promised myself I would not touch anything else he owns until he did something for me. Pull a weed, sweep the driveway, grab a few bags of stuff out of the haul off pile on his way to the dump, something, anything. Nope, not once ever.
The unfortunate reality of neighborhoods these days. Even where I am is not immune to the disease.

809E45B8-6686-469A-B2D5-4A6BE4F890B4.jpeg

Kat worked for Corning's Nichols Institute Diagnostics. She started working on the package line and worked her way up to be the manager of both the packaging department and the filling departments in less than 2 years. She won their (Corning's) highest award and they flew us to Florida for the presentation, nice vacation, very nice dinner, took us out collecting little red spiders, the whole nine yards.

They got a new CEO, he spent a lot of time getting her feedback on stuff, working with her to implement a lot of better things for the company. Then one day he asked where she went to school for her degree. Didn't, just a high school education. If he could have fired her on the spot, he would have and actually should have because from that day forward, she may as well have not existed. Mind you, she was the only APICS certified planner they had, had won their highest award for excellence, and worked circles around her degreed fellow employees. The only thing that mattered to him was a piece of paper.
Good on your wife!
Most of these CEO types are very insecure and threatened by someone who is truly intelligent.
It is a shame that there aren't more great CEO's that recognize and reward true talent.

The old saying holds up well in our present times.
"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence. ":rolleyes:

It is worse than that. Companies used to value employees and wanted to keep them around so they gave a pathway to moving up in an organization. Hard work and dedication was met with training and promotion.
For sure and Unfortunately this practice seems to be disappearing across the board. Typing this now makes me that much more grateful for my career in the military where your advancement potential is limited to only one thing… your initiative.

Good on your wife!
Most of these CEO types are very insecure and threatened by someone who is truly intelligent.
It is a shame that there aren't more great CEO's that recognize and reward true talent.

The old saying holds up well in our present times.
"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence. ":rolleyes:
With that in mind Blaine could WRECK the egos of like 90% of graduating engineers. So few engineers understand absolutely shit about the fundamentals of mechanisms a topic which the wizard knows like the back of his hand.

Reactions: ColoJeep
With that in mind Blaine could WRECK the egos of like 90% of graduating engineers. So few engineers understand absolutely shit about the fundamentals of mechanisms a topic which the wizard knows like the back of his hand.
Oh, does this remind me of a story from many years back. We had a "Jonathan {name redacted, but I've never forgotten it}" as a summer intern at the computer company I worked for at the time. He was from Cal Poly and was a COMPLETE idiot. I recollect one time he was drilling a hole in an aluminum panel on a bench behind me. The drill ran and ran and ran - "Man, this bit sure is dull!". There certainly was dullness involved, but it wasn't the bit. I finally turned around to look and you guessed it! The drill was running backwards! He had actually managed to drill about halfway through by that point. There was lots more.

Cal Poly wasn't exactly well thought of in my neck of the woods, I encountered two others in my time who either had, or were, attending that school. One of them was OK - intelligent and knew what he was doing. The other may or may not have been a competent engineer - I didn't encounter him professionally - but was a complete jerk. Not an asshole - that would be an insult to assholes everywhere. Mentally abused his wife, was NOT fun to be around, thought his shit didn't stink, acted like an idiot, was an "askhole", etc, etc, etc. Eventually had to get him out of our lives, and good riddance. Funny thing was he worked for the same computer company that I did, but after I had left. We felt sorry for his wife, she was a sweetheart. He ended up blowing an aneurism, and was EXTREEEEEEEEMLY lucky that he was in the right place at the right time, there was an excellent hospital very close nearby - otherwise he would have died in minutes. We hoped that the experience would give him some wisdom. Nope, he went right on being a jerk - didn't learn a damn thing. I hope he figures it out one day, as he was quite intelligent. But in the meantime, "May the Goddess Bless and keep him.... .... far away from me!" Oh, forgot to mention. He was a professional student for 8 years, had two degrees. His father finally kicked him in the ass and told him to get a job!

Reactions: B00mb00m
they don't bother to train new engineers to make our equipment and we have had to bring the new guys down and explain to them this is not how we do this......the other day a new engineer had to come down and see his mistakes, when he got to my area and was lookin at the part he asked me if i had one of those "L things". i say L thing? he says ya that big L thing you guys use to make sure the corners are 90*. i got scolded for tellin him to get the F out of my work area.

see "K" that's what screwed my joke up, i shoulda known that, dammit.

kudos to Kat for learnin it and mastering it , but wish y'all had been in a place y'all could tell that guy to go F himself. i know lots of idiots with paper and i'd trade any one of them for experience in a heartbeat.

my personal consolation is......i make more $ than my foreman (shhh)............ he's got a 2yr degree in something and i almost finished 11th grade.
i've been a foreman in 3 dept.'s and want no part of it anymore, currently they want me to take over assembly, again. but they can suck nuts.
i have keys (from the owner) to the access parts of the building even the acting CEO can't get into. so who stands where?

find her a couple little things she can think about when the assholes wanna try and dull the light.

Reactions: B00mb00m
they don't bother to train new engineers to make our equipment and we have had to bring the new guys down and explain to them this is not how we do this......the other day a new engineer had to come down and see his mistakes, when he got to my area and was lookin at the part he asked me if i had one of those "L things". i say L thing? he says ya that big L thing you guys use to make sure the corners are 90*. i got scolded for tellin him to get the F out of my work area.
When I worked building custom homes we did one in Laguna up on the bluff for the Goldstone family. On the road up, there was another being built. We'd stop and chat from time to time and learned it was being built by one very nice German fellow who was an architect. He related that in Germany if you want to be an architect, you have to go get experience building the types of stuff you want to design. I've always thought that was an awesome way to do things.