Blasphemy!

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
This is what happens when a JKU guy buys a Subaru..

44023517_1842355372550333_7985600854860234752_n.jpg

Subaru hood scoops direct cool air onto the intercooler. They're actually functional.

Only on the turbo models. Many of the models such as the older outback’s had hood scoops but no turbo or intercooler, so the hood scoop is blocked off with a metal barrier.

Only on the turbo models. Many of the models such as the older outback’s had hood scoops but no turbo or intercooler, so the hood scoop is blocked off with a metal barrier.
Ok, fair enough. I should have said "Subaru hood scoops direct cool air onto the intercooler in turbo models."

Reactions: Chris
Ok, fair enough. I should have said "Subaru hood scoops direct cool air onto the intercooler in turbo models."

I knew what you meant. I just meant to say that most of the guys running around with hood scoops (unless they are WRX models in most cases) aren’t even functional.

I can confirm this, I had a WRX with the intercooler - some friends with the Legacy 2.5 and outback it was strictly aesthetics and had a tiny slit that probably allowed a little air through to make it slightly less useless.

Reactions: Chris
I just meant to say that most of the guys running around with hood scoops (unless they are WRX models in most cases) aren’t even functional.
Careful. Here's what's sitting under the scoop of my Legacy GT.
IMAG1170.jpg

The Outback XT had the same engine, as did the Forester XT. It's not a WRX, but it's the same motor with a different turbo and some other changes around it.

So, yeah, Subaru did ship some NA models with hood scoops in some model years, but there are also plenty of turbo Subarus that aren't WRX/STI models.

Anyway, I'm not going to excuse any of the other stuff that's going on with that Subaru from Texas. Rally lights are a thing, but I guess they're mostly for show. And I don't know why a snorkel would perform better than a proper CAI, or why you would want to improve your Subaru's fording ability.

And a winch? Really?

So I agree with @billiebob.

Reactions: rasband
Careful. Here's what's sitting under the scoop of my Legacy GT.
View attachment 59034
The Outback XT had the same engine, as did the Forester XT. It's not a WRX, but it's the same motor with a different turbo and some other changes around it.

So, yeah, Subaru did ship some NA models with hood scoops in some model years, but there are also plenty of turbo Subarus that aren't WRX/STI models.

Yes, the previous generation Outbacks didn’t have the turbos though, but I’m aware of the XT models being turbo. That only lasted from 05-09 though to my knowledge.

Is that a workable hood scoop paired with a snorkel?
LOVE IT !!! someone with a brain !!!!! altho the Subi hood scoop cooled the turbo intercooler. But still, great observation.

Me I kinda LIKE it but the snorkel looks so stupid. Kinda like a farmer jack on the A-Pillar.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPerkWVU
If the hood scoop is functional.. what good is the snorkel if water will just flow in thru the scoop?

The intercooler is sealed, so water exposure through the scoop is fine. The snorkel would feed the air flow that would go through the intercooler, the scoop simply guides air through effectively a radiator (aka heat exchanger).

Last edited:
Reactions: fuse
The intercooler is sealed, so water exposure through the scoop is fine. The snorkel would feed the air flow that would go through the intercooler, the scoop simply guides air through effectively a radiator (aka heat exchanger).
However, there are lots of electronics and wiring in the engine bay that will be very unhappy under water. So you're still screwed. :)