Blind Spot Reminder

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I know many of you guys know , and have a strategy , I'm just posting this for the same reason they have church every Sunday- people need reminded .

The TJ Wrangler has a considerable blind spot at 4-5 o clock with the front of the hood being 12 o clock...the tall seats and right rear of the top are the main reasons .

Be careful , and account for it ... I came really close to pulling into an Escalade that was going 65-70. It would have been really bad.

The fault was mine , I knew better , but the result was nonetheless going to be the same .

This is especially important merging to the right .

If you are young or new to these vehicles , please , learn the vehicles limitations and drive accordingly .

All the best,
AndyG

I have my mirrors setup so that I don't have blind spots. If a vehicle is not visible in the side mirrors, it isn't close enough to be a problem, or it is right beside you, and you can just look over and see it. Some people don't like this setup, because they want to see the side of their car in the side mirrors, I guess as some reference or something, but it wastes the mirrors potential. If you set your mirrors up like the image below, and trust them, it works beautifully.

Basically, if your park somewhere, look in the rear view mirror, then adjust the side mirrors so that you are seeing right where the rear view mirror stops, you'll get the maximum use of the mirrors. If you are seeing in the side mirrors some of what you already see in the rear view, your wasting viewing angle.

mirrors.jpg

I have had blind spot mirrors on every vehicle I've owned, though I don't find the TJ really needs them.
I have them on both of my TJ's and generally use them a lot when changing lanes... And also I have worked physically a lot and I may not quite have the movement in my neck that I need to have.

I think small ones are good idea but if they hinder or distract someone they aren't.

Reactions: derekmac
I have them on both of my TJ's and generally use them a lot when changing lanes... And also I have worked physically a lot and I may not quite have the movement in my neck that I need to have.

I think small ones are good idea but if they hinder or distract someone they aren't.
I have issues where there are days that I can hardly turn my neck to the left, which is the reason for me putting them on all my vehicles. Driving cube and panel vans for work in the past also conditioned me to only rely on the mirrors (since shoulder checks had you looking inside the van only).

For me, changing lanes to the left I just rely on the mirrors. To the right, I'll usually use the mirrors and do a shoulder check.

Good reminder to not be complacent and do proper checks before making a lane change though!

what I had done was gotten myself used to using the blind spot mirrors and then I got the vehicle at a 30-35 degree angle to oncoming traffic and it really wasn't the kind of situation where a blind spot mirror was effective looking at a car coming 70 miles an hour and what I really should have done this position the vehicle closer to 90° to the road I was entering .

And that's the key is to be conscious and aware.

We are living in a time for people are absolutely unconscious behind the wheel... I cannot tell you how often someone just drifts over on me.

When I'm in considerably fast traffic you can't drive a needle up my butt with a sledgehammer these days, because I'm always expecting somebody to just start drifting over into my lane.

It’s a good habit to have, if you’re physically able, no matter how well your mirrors are adjusted. Just more input into the decision making process.
My two cents.

I have my mirrors setup so that I don't have blind spots. If a vehicle is not visible in the side mirrors, it isn't close enough to be a problem, or it is right beside you, and you can just look over and see it. Some people don't like this setup, because they want to see the side of their car in the side mirrors, I guess as some reference or something, but it wastes the mirrors potential. If you set your mirrors up like the image below, and trust them, it works beautifully.

Basically, if your park somewhere, look in the rear view mirror, then adjust the side mirrors so that you are seeing right where the rear view mirror stops, you'll get the maximum use of the mirrors. If you are seeing in the side mirrors some of what you already see in the rear view, your wasting viewing angle.

View attachment 119541
That is very good.