Blinker Weirdness

msp

OK, how weird is this? Just started doing it this week. Turn signal seems to work OK, but right turn signal goes zippy fast. Check out the vid.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.MOV
    31 MB
I can’t see the video for whatever reason (probably my phone).

Have you checked that all of your turn signal and running light bulbs are not burned out? Turn on your parking lights and check all 6 bulbs to see if they illuminate. Use your flashers to check that all 6 bulbs flash.

The side marker bulbs ground through the fender bulbs so a bad running light might cause hyper flash.

If so the first thing I would replace is the flasher relay under the steering wheel

The fender running lights operate at a dimmer brightness, so they should alternate bright-dim-bright-dim just like the taillights when the hazards and parking lights are on. The sidemarker lights only operate at one brightness.

I didn't check all of them, just the right turn signals. They all seemed to work fine. But I can certainly check the others. If they ground through the fender bulbs, that would make sense.

Mine cuts off the radio some times when I hit the right blinker. When I wiggle the key it comes back on. Now that's wierd man!!!

Mine cuts off the radio some times when I hit the right blinker. When I wiggle the key it comes back on. Now that's wierd man!!!
Now that’s odd. There might be a loose connection in the lock cylinder, or possibly a bad ground somewhere. Might even be a minor short in the multifunction switch.

I would check any electrical connections next time the area is accessible. Most likely a loose connection seeing as the problem is intermittent. The jiggling of the key likely has the effect of percussive maintenance.

In another car I have the brake warning light comes on randomly. Pounding the dash makes it go away. (There’s a bad solder joint somewhere in the instrument cluster.)

Last edited: