Blower won't shut off on 97 Jeep TJ

vachi188

Today, when I turned the engine off on my 97 TJ, the blower continued to run even in the off position. I removed the fuse (#8) and it still continues to run.
The lights and the radio do turn off. I'm not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not quite sure I understand everything you posted. Does the blower continue to run with the ignition in the off position or with the fan control in the off position?

When the fan is running, does its speed change when you select the different positions on the control knob?

I'm not quite sure I understand everything you posted. Does the blower continue to run with the ignition in the off position or with the fan control in the off position?

When the fan is running, does its speed change when you select the different positions on the control knob?

Kenneth,
Until today the fan selector did change speeds. But now, the speed does not change. The blower does not turn off either when set to the off position while the jeep is running or when I turn off the engine and remove the key from the ignition. It does feel like the fan speed is slightly lower when the engine is off.
It happened out of nowhere today and currently I have simply disconnected the battery.

Hey Kenneth
The fan continues to blow when I turn it off at the dial. It also continues to run when I turn the jeep off and remove the key from the Ignition. It continued to run when I pulled the fuse. It does sound/feel as if the blower slows slightly when the engine is off. There is no difference in blower speed when turning up or down at the fan speed dial.

Look under dash at blower motor, my quess is connector wiring is melted together,unplug it and visually inspect it. If not there go to blower motor resister and look at connector, somewhere the wiring is melted together ! Anyway that circuit is shorted into battery + , and it's normally a melted connector. Cut that connector off and replace it and repair any other wiring. Good luck.

Look under dash at blower motor, my quess is connector wiring is melted together,unplug it and visually inspect it. If not there go to blower motor resister and look at connector, somewhere the wiring is melted together ! Anyway that circuit is shorted into battery + , and it's normally a melted connector. Cut that connector off and replace it and repair any other wiring. Good luck.

Ok, it looks like the blower on the 97 is located behind the battery and the pcm board. I think I'm going to disconnect the blower to hopefullyremove the draw from the battery until I can locate the short.
Thanks.

Pulled the blower relay and the blower is off. Ordered a new relay. Arrives tomorrow. Process of elimination has begun.

You really should consider replacing the blower motor, too. These motors are old, insulation is failing, bearings go bad, etc. All of which causes the motor to draw more current to make the fan turn. Eventually the current exceeds the limit for the resistors, wiring, and switch. They burn up which stops the motor and the current drain. Something to think about.

You really should consider replacing the blower motor, too. These motors are old, insulation is failing, bearings go bad, etc. All of which causes the motor to draw more current to make the fan turn. Eventually the current exceeds the limit for the resistors, wiring, and switch. They burn up which stops the motor and the current drain. Something to think about.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea and on my 97 tj easily accessible. I've gone this far. Might as well finish the deal.