Blue Ox Base Plate / Tow Bar?

I don't have the Blue Ox setup, but my Father inlaw does, and tows his Tracker behind his Class A with no issues. I flat tow my Jeep with the Falcon 2 tow bar. Don't have that bumper, but as long as you have clearance for the tow bar mounts, you should be fine.
20161220_151333.jpg

20161203_113431.jpg

Reactions: Chris
I run an Arb bumper with road master brackets underneath I know they sell a kit that has tow bar brackets that can be welded to a bumper not sure if that helps you with blu ox

I tow my jeep all the time, and then wheel it when I get to where I think I am going.

My issue with the Blue Ox is that it must be permanently mounted across the front leaving it exposed to the trail and obstacles all the time. I, like T Crawford, run a Roadmaster set up, the bulk of which can be removed in minutes when you are ready to hit the trail.

Here is a picture of my jeep with the permanent brackets installed. While they are always there the only way to really do any damage is to take a header into an obstacle. The only real issue is that you can't install a power steering guard.

2018-01-28 12.33.23.jpg

Here are the insert brackets that hold the crossbar for attaching the tow bar.

2018-01-28 12.35.46.jpg

And here is the complete set up with the crossbar.

2018-01-28 12.36.30.jpg

I also have a rock shield that attaches to the crossbar to protect the front end of the jeep. I can't tell you how many headlights I broke before getting that.

I tow my jeep all the time, and then wheel it when I get to where I think I am going.

My issue with the Blue Ox is that it must be permanently mounted across the front leaving it exposed to the trail and obstacles all the time. I, like T Crawford, run a Roadmaster set up, the bulk of which can be removed in minutes when you are ready to hit the trail.

Here is a picture of my jeep with the permanent brackets installed. While they are always there the only way to really do any damage is to take a header into an obstacle. The only real issue is that you can't install a power steering guard.

View attachment 30428

Here are the insert brackets that hold the crossbar for attaching the tow bar.

View attachment 30429

And here is the complete set up with the crossbar.

View attachment 30430

I also have a rock shield that attaches to the crossbar to protect the front end of the jeep. I can't tell you how many headlights I broke before getting that.

Is that considered the crossbar style?

Several things come to mind here.

The reason both Roadmaster and Blue Ox have a bar across the front is because they have determined the open end of the jeep frame is not secure enough for towing safely. And if you don't believe a Roadmaster setup will work because of your bumper design than a Blue Ox probably won't work either.

You are suppose to attach tow bars to securely mounted attachments that are attached to your frame. Your safety cables/chains are also suppose to connect to frame mounted locations. Looped them over tow hooks is not wise but attaching to towing D-Rings may be okay.

In addition to that you will probably need an auxiliary brake system. These are required in almost every state and province. And seeing that you are from New York they have one of the strictest. Must have an auxiliary brake system if towing over a 1,000 pounds.

You can find out more here.
http://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws

I would suggest you take your jeep to a reputable RV dealer and find out what they recommend and then come back here for thoughts, comments and additional guidance.

I have seen many towing mishaps on the road and most could of been prevented with some forethought and proper towing gear.