BlueRidge304's 2004 Jeep Wrangler RubiXcon

BlueRidge304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum. Figured this would be a good starting point for my first post.
After searching for almost a year, I recently picked up this clean rust free TJ in West Virginia near the Monongahela National Forest. From the factory it was a Wrangler X 'Rocky Mountain Edition', and has since been built as a Rubicon when I found her. Has Rubicon air lockers (front & rear), Rubicon 241J transfer case (4:1), and heavier driveshafts. Not sure if I should describe it as a heavily modified Wrangler X, or a stock Wrangler Rubicon....RubiXcon??? o_O. I don't really have any immediate modifications planned (except for the JW Speaker knockoff LED headlights I just installed). Right now I'm just enjoying a nice, simple, capable Jeep, and wow is it FUN!
At any rate, hope you enjoy the pictures and I look forward to more reading/learning and contributing where I can!

IMG_3722.JPG

53670CD0-FE34-4110-8B3B-737323517E06_1.jpg

53670CD0-FE34-4110-8B3B-737323517E06_7.jpg

53670CD0-FE34-4110-8B3B-737323517E06_2.jpg

53670CD0-FE34-4110-8B3B-737323517E06_5.jpg

53670CD0-FE34-4110-8B3B-737323517E06_17.jpg

53670CD0-FE34-4110-8B3B-737323517E06_12.jpg

IMG_4694.JPG

IMG_5304.JPG

Looks great. I would say you can enjoy it with all the Rubicon upgrades, knowing that they're there. If you ever sell it, however, sell it as it is, a modified X. You couldn't pass it off as a Rubicon, a check of the VIN will make potential buyers think you're trying to scam them. But it is more valuable with all the Rubicon upgrades than a stock X.

I'm assuming the previous owner did all the Rubicon stuff to it? If so, I'll bet they wish they had just bought a Rubicon to begin with and saved the cash. Rubicon complete axles typically sell for $3000 or more for a pair, plus at least $1500 for the transfer case!

Either way, good buy on your part! I'd remove the chrome rocker guard personally, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks guys! I've really been enjoying it.

The previous owner added all the Rubicon parts. The front and rear lockers are an interesting setup. There are no pumps underneath or switches in the dash. Instead there are air lines running from the lockers to Schrader valves mounted in the dash, and a bicycle pump in the center console. I realize this is not the most convenient or elaborate setup one could run, but it's what I got and works for me. A few (3-5) pumps with the bike pump and the lockers engage.

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

Thats an interesting setup... Never seen that before haha. Didn't realize you could get enough pressure for the lockers with a simple hand pump. But if it works it works! Wonder if there is any advantage to that. You should get a 12V compressor and run them off that from inside the cab.

Pretty sure the Rubicon lockers only need ~5 psi to activate (or is it 5-10psi?). Either way, the bike pump easily develops those pressures. I've thought about some sort of compressor inside the cab but I need more education/research about the psi generated with those, the rate at which they reach the target psi, regulators needed, etc. I don't want to damage anything.

Just came across your thread. I grew up/lived not far from you in Inwood. And a coworker of mine bought his truck from the same place you picked your Jeep up from. Good ole Ted Davis haha nice looking TJ!

Hey thanks! You're just up the road. I take the back roads into Winchester quite often for tools and stuff, we might have waved at each other before. Yeah Ted Davis has got some quality stuff, good folks there. Right now he's got a really nice super clean black '04 TJR with lift, winch, bumpers, hard top, and some other goodies. I'm tempted to drive out and see it in person. It's worth a look on his site if you haven't seen it already.

You ever go out to the Cove? Me and some buddies went a couple months ago. There's mild to wild and everything in between, a really cool place. Here's a few pics from that trip.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Reactions: ranger101
Always wanted to get out there but just never have. My boss and a couple others used to be big into going out there(TJ on one tons and 42’s). Another member on here had said something about going out there. Maybe we need to get a little meet put together

Reactions: BlueRidge304