Bluetooth amp install with stock radio

ToddL

TJ Enthusiast
I decided to get some better sounds this weekend. I had already installed Polk Audio speakers. Now I wanted more power and Bluetooth.
Enter Kenwood 400w marine amp:
CDF93DC0-1C79-46B0-B9DF-01529D5B5354.jpeg

Comes with a Bluetooth controller. I wanted to stick with the factory radio. Sentimental I guess.
First step, add a mini fuse box to the battery:
EF50C1C3-F63A-46CE-B293-B71BD089EFD3.jpeg

Next step, mount the amp to a board and attach to steering column:
046BE530-6F7E-4F33-9C32-7E7F9F24DC20.jpeg

Now for the hard part. Tap into the factory harness. I always solder and shrink tubing. 8 cuts, 16 solder joints.
CADBA0F5-70B7-4F8E-8756-E37A87A224AC.jpeg

Getting the radio out was actually harder than I expected due to the bolt in the back attaching it to a support.
After the wiring time to start buttoning up the dash:
C0A5DC96-AA75-43B9-9560-3FE914C5D673.jpeg

Now to mount the Bluetooth controller. With some careful cutting with the dremel I got it nicely tucked into the switch panel:
DF7C104B-7A97-4C6E-BEDE-5D0FB3ABAF18.jpeg

7D5811F8-72F5-46D6-8CA6-7294F20E94B4.jpeg

DD762703-121E-4095-BDF5-B4F494DCE1E3.jpeg

Really liked the way that came out. The amp has a usb for charging the phone, so I won’t miss the lighter outlet.

The amp really makes a big difference and I love having Bluetooth now. Highly recommended amp.

Last edited:
Great stuff! Nice work all around.

That looks great. I noticed on the last pic that the small storage tray in front of your shifter has been replaced. What did you use?

That looks great. I noticed on the last pic that the small storage tray in front of your shifter has been replaced. What did you use?
Thanks for the compliments. That piece in front of the shifter is actually a key switch to turn off the passenger air bag. It came from the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussTJ
Install looks great! This is exactly what we want to do. A few questions if you ahve time:

1. When you cut the factory harness, it was basically to be able to route the speaker wires (out of the radio) over to the amp, then back, to go out to the speakers?

2. So, I understand that it is an amp with high level inputs, but am foggy on what that Bluetooth controller lets you do? Can you explain what it gives you and how it works? I see a bunch of buttons on that thing...

Thanks

Install looks great! This is exactly what we want to do. A few questions if you ahve time:

1. When you cut the factory harness, it was basically to be able to route the speaker wires (out of the radio) over to the amp, then back, to go out to the speakers?

2. So, I understand that it is an amp with high level inputs, but am foggy on what that Bluetooth controller lets you do? Can you explain what it gives you and how it works? I see a bunch of buttons on that thing...

Thanks
Looks like it allows you to connect a device, such as your phone, direct to the amplifier vs through the stereo or head unit. The buttons appear to control the connected device. Its a pretty clever work around for older systems. If my factory stereo was in good shape, I would be looking into this too.

Reactions: SSTJ

Thanks
That’s correct, I cut the wires and soldered in a rca connector to go into the amp, then the amp out goes to the other cut ends that run to the speaker.
The seperate control buttons are just to control the Bluetooth device. You press the bigger circular button to switch between the radio and bt device.

That’s correct, I cut the wires and soldered in a rca connector to go into the amp, then the amp out goes to the other cut ends that run to the speaker.
The seperate control buttons are just to control the Bluetooth device. You press the bigger circular button to switch between the radio and bt device.

OK I think I get it, big button to switch to the BT device, volume up/down, and forward/back...

Any capability to take phone calls?

OK I think I get it, big button to switch to the BT device, volume up/down, and forward/back...

Any capability to take phone calls?
No, it won’t do phone calls directly. I use Siri on speaker mode for that.
I do plan to add the Echo Auto when it becomes available, and that should enable calling.

So you ran the speaker wires from the head unit, spliced them to turn them into a rca imput for the amp? They send 2 different power levels. Won't that be overloading the amp? That is the reason most amps have a line level input and a separate low (rca) level input I thought. But a very clean input non the less.

Why, if they make an adapter to fit a double din head unit in the dash, don't they make an adapter to fit a single din head unit and a storage bin above/below? A useable size. Not the one I've seen that will just fit a piece of paper or two. There should be room for a 2 inch high bin in there.

Reactions: SSTJ
So you ran the speaker wires from the head unit, spliced them to turn them into a rca imput for the amp? They send 2 different power levels. Won't that be overloading the amp? That is the reason most amps have a line level input and a separate low (rca) level input I thought. But a very clean input non the less.
It is speaker level through the rca inputs, but the line level is selectable.

So the amp only has rca inputs and no regular wire inputs also? I've seen amps with just line level ins, but not just rca ins on a car amp. I'm by no means an expert. Just don't want you to accidentally blow your amp.

This is really cool, I would like to do something similar to this. I don't know much about car audio, but is it possible to add a subwoofer to this setup?