Blutooth OBDII Readers, Extended Dashboards and Live PCM Readings

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Who uses an app like Torque to extend the dashboards of their TJ with live readings from the PCM? What have you learned? How has it help you? Does it create anxiety?

20151228_094820.jpg
Screenshot_2014-05-23-09-49-01.png
Screenshot_2016-03-23-11-40-55.png

Reactions: KCsTJ
I use engine link with a wifi enabled obd2 connector, but just to read and clear codes. The information is nice but not worth the hassle for me to log all the time.

I use engine link with a wifi enabled obd2 connector, but just to read and clear codes. The information is nice but not worth the hassle for me to log all the time.
For me, it isn't about logging. It's about live data.

For me, it isn't about logging. It's about live data.
Wait till Amazon has the kindle fire on a good sale. (I got one for 50 bucks. 7")Then you can mount it and use bluetooth to steam the data. (Bluetooth obd2 for 20 bucks)

Here is what I've used mine for over the last 5 years...

-Diagnose bad o2 senors

-Failing thermostat

-Study the effects of a true cold air intake and hood vents

-Determine the need to use a hotter thermostat as a result of the cold air intake and hood vents

-Train myself to be a fuel efficient driver

-Calibrate the speedometer to GPS to a high degree of accuracy

-Read and clear CEL p-codes

Anyone else find uses for this ability to be hyper aware of your engine?

Here is what I've used mine for over the last 5 years...

-Diagnose bad o2 senors

-Failing thermostat

-Study the effects of a true cold air intake and hood vents

-Determine the need to and another thermostat as a result of the cold air intake and hood vents

-Train myself to be a fuel efficient driver

-Calibrate the speedometer to GPS to a high degree of accuracy

-Read and clear CEL p-codes

Anyone else find uses for this ability to be hyper aware of your engine?
I will admit I have one pluged into my f150 and use it to monitor everything. But i don't have one in my jeep. Maybe someday.

I plan to use mine since I already own Torque, but I was having trouble getting my Bluetooth connection to work with the old ELM 327 adapter I have. Not sure what the problem was, my Pixel XL or the adapter, but thanks for reminding me again that I need to troubleshoot! I spent about 5 minutes on it and then moved on to more important business at the time.

Which adapter are you using? I might pick up another one if I still have trouble. I have one something like this one here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746H9Y9Z/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I also have an Actron scanner with live data monitoring, but that old thing is no fun to use!

I went through a couple readers early on. The big ones got kicked pretty often. The current one was one of the low profile ones, orange and about $20. It has been working flawlessly for at least 3 years.

Reactions: mots
Cool, thanks guys. I thought I had another one laying around here, but I can't find it. I might just pickup another one after doing a bit of troubleshooting to see if I can make a go with what I have.

Another thing I have used mine for is reading codes for friends, coworkers, the occasional stranger. It's always with me and it's just another tool. Even if I can't help fix the problem, it helps take some of the mystery away from car problems that most are clueless about.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and Daryl
Then there was that time the Jeep had a CEL for a small evap leak that I couldn't easily find. I needed to pass the smog test to renew the registration, but didn't have time to really tear into the problem. While I waited in line for my test, I cleared the code. It stayed away just long enough to pass the test.

Another thing I have used mine for is reading codes for other people, friends, coworkers, the occasional stranger. Even if I can't help fix the problem, it helps take some of the mystery away from car problems that most are clueless about.

I think I’ve used mine more often on friends & family than on my own cars, LOL. Only used for CEL. Works good though.

I use an OBDII scan tool from time to time when I need specific information but for regular driving the factory gauges are sufficient for me.

I am reminded of Volkswagen's philosophy about gauges during the air-cooled era. Voltmeter and oil pressure gauges were purposely omitted because the company believed that those gauges provided too much information and consumers would be needlessly alarmed by fluctuating needles. Volkswagen decided that warning lights for dangerously low oil pressure and voltage were sufficient. The early models didn't even have fuel gauges - one used a graduated stick to determine how much fuel remained in the tank, the same method for measuring fuel in small planes.

Reactions: Daryl and jjvw
Hmmm well after reading this thread I have to say I’m certainly interested in what I might can find out particularly in finding my vacuum leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I used a 13 dollar Bluetooth dongle and the live data in the torque app to finalize my diagnosis of bad mini cats on my 05 wrangler. When the 2 O2 sensors on bank 2 cycle up and down the same it means you need to dish out the $$$ for a new Y pipe. Ouch! But now my jeep passed emissions and runs better than ever.
Now I use it to try to teach myself to conserve fuel. It's not going very well, it's too much fun running it hard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

@jjvw Thank you for posting this thread. I have 2 questions please.

There is a Torque obdii reader for $4.95
, sorry I can't pull the link. Could that be the same unit? and

Will your Torque reader give you real time transmission temps ???