Blutooth OBDII Readers, Extended Dashboards and Live PCM Readings

@jjvw Thank you for posting this thread. I have 2 questions please.

There is a Torque obdii reader for $4.95
, sorry I can't pull the link. Could that be the same unit? and

Will your Torque reader give you real time transmission temps ???
My reader was nothing special. All I know is that it works and I don't kick it when I get in the Jeep.

These readers and apps will read anything the PCM reads. To my knowledge there is no factory trans temp monitoring in the TJs.

have had it for around 9 years i think, but only use it for specifc reasons, when i changed wheel size and wanted to make sure my speedo was reading correctly. Its TMI for day to day use, standard guages are more than suffient. may be a differnt story if I had eingine problems or cared about fuel consumption but I wouldnt be driving a vehichle shaped like a brick with mud tires if fuel prices were that much of a concern for me.

I just got the BlueDriver BT scanner and have been using their app. I used to check and clear 1 code but that's about the only thing I know how to do with it. The live data is nice but I need to learn what it all means. For example, I've been watching my O2 sensors (P0171 occasionally) and Bank 1 voltage fluctuates quite a bit roughly .2..-.8.. which in turn skews the %. Bank 2 is steady at .6.. and 99%.

I have a vacuum leak and I have had no luck using code readers. Have You?
I don't think a code reader can specifically identify a vacuum leak beyond pointing out the symptoms shown by the effected sensors.

Thats what I understood but just checking with another source. I have changed out the gas cap LDP and just yesterday I replaced the purge valve. After this its a smoke test.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I use an OBD link BT and Torque Pro as I was having auto trans overheating issues. I put a transmission cooler on and really wanted to see if it made a difference and the answer is yes. Pulling the same grade on back roads I now do not even come close to overheating which brought up another question now that it is if it real cold out does my transmission warm up to the proper operating temperature and again I know it does. Torque pro is a great app and it was the only one that had the auto trans code already built in and operational I would recommend both!

Here is a link to the OBD I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You can use their free app but some of the wanted codes were not there hence I bought the Torque Oro.

ram mountsjku.jpg

Reactions: khakitj
I use an OBD link BT and Torque Pro as I was having auto trans overheating issues. I put a transmission cooler on and really wanted to see if it made a difference and the answer is yes. Pulling the same grade on back roads I now do not even come close to overheating which brought up another question now that it is if it real cold out does my transmission warm up to the proper operating temperature and again I know it does. Torque pro is a great app and it was the only one that had the auto trans code already built in and operational I would recommend both!

Here is a link to the OBD I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You can use their free app but some of the wanted codes were not there hence I bought the Torque Oro.

View attachment 71822

Did this work for transmission temp on a TJ?

You can go to their app on the store to get the vehicles they support I am not sure on the TJ but there are PIDS available and it might be for your YEAR and MODEL.

As far as I know, no TJs are able to read the trans temp through the PCM.

Is it worth getting one of those BT enabled code readers over my old (from last century) code reader with a cable to the small LCD screen? Any better?

I like the ability to view the live data in a bluetooth dongles.

However, i have finally reached the NEED for something that has better features. Not for my jeep but my other newer vehicles.

This is what i have in my list to buy. Just waiting to see if it will go on sale.

Autel MaxiCheck Maxicom OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner MX808(Advanced MD808 Pro Same MK808) With 5ft Extension Cable Full Systems And Service Functions Oil Reset EPB BMS SAS DPF TPMS Relearn IMMO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKZJ86W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Holey crap!$$😳$$ Hope I never get any of your other cars. (Actually plan on this one being my last vehicle, other than maybe a RV to pull the TJ around out west.

Reactions: MikeM