BMB 1.25" Body Lift

sunnysideup_lj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Installing this body lift follows similar guidelines as to installing any TJ body lift. Link here - "How To" Install Body Lift
Note: 1" Motor mount and cable shifter are recommended when installing a body lift, but isn't required.

IMG_0572[1].JPG

There are a few key points to the BMB body lift that I see are worth mentioning.

Machined from Acetal. Commonly known as Delrin. Acetal is a high-performance low creep copolymer with very high strength with excellent UV resistant, making this a great material for the application. Black in color, no finish to worry about. No chances of compressing. (see picture compared to JKS body lift below) resulting in a true 1.25" Body lift.

IMG_0575[1].JPG
IMG_0573[1].JPG
Specific bolt lengths for area where critical. Some running a body lift that isn't ridged know that over torquing the bolts under the grill and the two on the gas tank cross member will find dimpling in the tub. The bolt lengths are specific to insure there is plenty of room between the bolt and the tub. Blaine's instructions clearly explains where these go, I sketched up a quick picture for those who like images.
Bolt Layout.JPG
Blue Loctite. There is a tube included with the kit. This will go on each body mount bolt to act as a sealant. Loctite is recommended over anti-seize in this area. Apply Loctite and torque bolts to spec.

Grill snubber extensions are installed by bolting through the grill. This will require removing the headlight. It is best to remove the bezel, followed by the 3 nuts off the studs that hold the bucket in from the back side of the grill. Doing it this way will eliminates the need to remove the retaining ring and readjusting headlights. The factory snubbers will need to be trimmed about 1/4" This will keep them from making contact with the mounting bolts.
IMG_0578[1].JPG
The quality of this body lift is evident as soon as you open the box. Well thought out and complete. I wouldn't expect anything different from a Black Magic Brakes product. I installed this kit on a LJ without any hiccups. I would recommend this body lift to anyone that is in the market for one. The only other ridged 1.25" body lift on the market I know of is Savvy's. Availability of their kit is hit and miss. A big thanks to Blaine for making this body lift readily available to us!
IMG_E0671[1].JPG

Last edited:
I bought this body lift. I have the JKS snubber extensions in the front. I'm having trouble finding factory replacements. Can I use the JKS with the BMB body lift, or do I need to wait to install it until I have factory snubbers in hand?

I bought this body lift. I have the JKS snubber extensions in the front. I'm having trouble finding factory replacements. Can I use the JKS with the BMB body lift, or do I need to wait to install it until I have factory snubbers in hand?

You can add the factory snubbers later. However, I know from doing the same thing that you will discover that the JKS snubbers will suddenly become too short once you get an actual 1.25 body lift in there. And you will rush to find factory snubbers because the unsupported grill and hood will noticably shake on the highway.

After the factory snubbers with the BMB extensions go in, you will then realize that the grill had been shaking a bit the whole time the JKS garbage was there. That all goes away and you become slightly resentful of everyone who told you JKS was the way to go.

Last edited:
I have been looking for those as well, odd that it says they don't fit a '99. I wonder if that is just a mistake on the website or if they really did change those at some point.

For sale separately to those who have raised body mounts and need appropriate snubbers? Or are they a revision to the snubbers previously included in your kit?

A revision to the snubbers in the kit. I had some existing stock of the old style so the new ones got put on the back burner to let other more important stuff move through.

Reactions: deadbeat son
A revision to the snubbers in the kit. I had some existing stock of the old style so the new ones got put on the back burner to let other more important stuff move through.

Does the lip on the spacer help to keep the snubber square? Since the snubber rests on an angled part of the frame, it seems like one of mine has a tendency to walk forward a bit.

Does the lip on the spacer help to keep the snubber square? Since the snubber rests on an angled part of the frame, it seems like one of mine has a tendency to walk forward a bit.

My main reason for doing them was to match the lip on the lift pucks and I don't like seeing the gap between the top of the snubber and bottom of the extension under articulation. I suspect it will also help keep the actual snubber in place better but that isn't why I did it.

Reactions: deadbeat son