Bobbys 01 Sahara

bobbylx

Hello all, no creative name or anything, just another slow TJ build. I’ve been in the Jeep world for 20 years now. My projects so far are, 1980 CJ, 2000 WJ, 2000 TJ, 1987 XJ, 2008 WK. I sold my WK about 5 years ago when I got a company vehicle and have wanted a new project ever since. Now that my kids are older, my wife and I want a fun ride that we can take camping or to the beach. Not going to go rock crawling or anything too aggressive. My plan is to make it what I consider a modified stock build. Here is what it looks like. It’s a 2001 Sahara, with the 4.0 (obviously) and 3 speed auto trans. I was looking more for a 5 speed just for personal preference, but the auto is fine and now my wife and daughter can drive also, they can both drive manual if they had too, just not great at it. Mechanically it is in great shape. I’ve got service records from the day it was purchased locally until I bought it. The paint is very nice, not perfect but good enough that I won’t touch it. Interior is in great shape, floor pans have zero rust, but front carpet was removed for some reason. The only mods are a budget boost and the 32x11.50 mud tires.
My build plans at the moment. First I want to replace the carpet and add some dynamat or similar. Next will be the lift. I want to replace the spacers with a proper lift, maybe 3 inches. Once the tires wear out, I plan to go with an A/T tire of some kind, I don’t need such an aggressive tread. Probably in a 33. Last of the big items will be bumpers. I want a rear bumper with tire carrier and a place to mount my hi lift jack. Front, just a subtle steel bumper. For the bumpers I want them to be tough, but not an obvious aftermarket style. If that makes sense. Of course there are a bunch of little things along the way like a bikini top, stereo changes, lock box, and things like that. Anyway, as things change I’ll update it here.

EA8B2597-D622-49EB-AC4D-E2A28583A474.jpeg

C3A41D4C-6B9B-4460-845F-AC5524DEAEC1.jpeg

Well, during the summer I was collecting some suspension parts and just waiting for a good time to install. I think it was around late August when I finally installed a set of Rancho 3.5 inch lift springs, new rancho shocks, extended sway bar links, and extended track bar bracket. Did a quick alignment in the garage and done.
IMG_0432.JPG
Next on the list was a new set of tires. I've got a set of General Grabber in 33x10.5x15 in my watchlist, but just before ordering tires I developed a nice knock. Luckily it happened about 100yards from my driveway.
Spent a few days troubleshooting things and finally decided to drop the oil pan. I found a broken piece of piston skirt. At that time, she was parked in the carport out back and put on hold.
Fast forward to November. With the inflated car/truck prices I decided to cash in on my daily driver, a 2018 Ram 2500 CrewCab diesel. I bought it to pull my 30ft camper, but I sold that many months ago. I figured I could make some cash, and still end up with a nice half ton truck, and I did. Vroom cut me a nice sized check, which I used to purchase a super clean 2015 F150 and also used some funds to buy jeep stuff.
PIcked up a set of 6 sealed power pistons, new oil pump and pickup tube, new bearings, new gasket set, and a few other small items. Pulled it into the garage the week of Christmas and by Christmas eve it was put back together and running. I used some cheap oil and filter for now. Once I get a few hours of run time I'll do an oil and filter change along with new plugs. Other than breaking a bolt between the exhaust downpipe and the muffler, I ran into no issues. I will say I beat the hell out of the old pistons to get those wrist pins out. Thank god I have a torch or putting the new pins in would have been a disaster.

Now that this part is out of the way, I'll be ordering tires in the next month or two along with some speakers and maybe a sound bar. Just going to 3D print my own speaker pods for the dash. I'll also end up getting an adjustable track bar and ditch the bracket, and upgrade any remaining suspension parts just to be safe. My 16 year old daughter is planning to borrow it a few times during the summer so it must be in tip-top shape!

#5 original piston
IMG_1778.JPG

#5 replaced
OVWS1152.JPG
FIXI7639.JPG

Well, this is slowly coming along. Finally picked up some new tires. Went with 33x12.50 Kenda Klever AT. I wanted an AT tire over a mud tire, and the price was pretty good on ebay compared to most other tires that size. I think the set of 4 cost about $750 with free shipping, then I had my local tire shop mount and balance. I think it looks so much better, and handles great compared to those old bald mud tires. I have a 1.5 inch spacer on it, so no rub at all. I do have a few other parts in the garage waiting, adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, and a set of Bilstein shocks I picked up from craigslist. Projects are on hold for now, I am currently having a new garage built and the old garage converted to living space. Until the garage is done, my tools are in storage.

Next month I will ordering and replacing all the stereo components. Right now I have a crap pioneer head unit and jensen dash speakers. It has no sound bar or pods. I plan to get a nice Alpine head unit, either good quality 5.25 or 4x6 dash speakers, and then I think I want the 2003-2006 or whatever year speaker pods. I'm not a fan of the sound bar for some reason. I may also pick up a small powered sub to slide under the rear seat. I am just looking for all around good quality audio.

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4038.jpg