Body Fill for Fender Flares

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I found four Rubicon fender flares in decent enough condition for cheap. There are a few gouges and scratches that I want to fill before putting on some SEM trim paint. Does anyone have any success stories on doing this? I am thinking a wet sand followed by either Evercoat PolyFlex or SEM high build primer.

PolyFlex gets brittle after a few hot cold cycles and it doesn’t expand at the same rate that the Polypropylene that the flares are made out of. The PolyFlex will ghost when the flare gets hot. Find yourself a tube of 3-M 5887 easy sand multi purposes.

Reactions: LJGreg
I'd start with sandpaper first. To work as much of the high points in the gouges and scratches as you can. And then try primer to see how well it hides the marks. Either that or go with bedliner. ALOT of guys use that on their flares and it looks pretty good. That would cover anything wrong with your flares. It's like liquid sandpaper. Makes gouges and scratches disappear. Easy to touch up too.

Are these flares already textured/factory bare or are they glossy painted like the Jeep? Only asking because anyone who brings up sanding their flares, I think of mine (which isn't a Rubicon) and the texture that's on them being removed in the process.

But if they're already smooth then you're on the right track with the sanding and using a high-build primer in my opinion.

Thanks for the ideas. The flares are bare and not textured. I am thinking I will try the high build primer first and if I still have gouges I don't like I'll fill it with the 5887.

Just use some 3m glazing putty ..it will stick in small gouges and won’t come out if you don’t hammer on em .

Gorilla glue will work too , then razor it clean and sand it

Last edited: