Anyone use these Rough Country bolt-on D-rings?

Not a chance. They will bend/twist the first time you use them. Probably snap on the second. They are essentially angle iron. Without welding them together and then on to your bumper (assuming your bumper is thick and strong enough) they will be snapped off and launched with the winch cable.

Not a chance. They will bend/twist the first time you use them. Probably snap on the second. They are essentially angle iron. Without welding them together and then on to your bumper (assuming your bumper is thick and strong enough) they will be snapped off and launched with the winch cable.
Thanks Goatman, you confirmed my thoughts, always like to get others' opinions

Looks pretty beefy but I would rather have a factory-style hook in that location anyway.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 10.15.54 AM.png

I was considering those because I prefer the look of D-ring over the hooks but at $100 I just couldn't justify it. Hooks are under $20 each

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
easy there, Blaine. I said I considered them...but after reading posts form you and Jerry, I made the better decision to use hooks.

I don't think it's too far of a stretch, if all things are equal (ie. price and function) to go with something more aesthetically to one's liking.

if all things are equal (ie. price and function) to go with something more aesthetically to one's liking.
That is a monstrous "IF". Monstrous because aesthetics are very subjective, function is not. As soon as the aesthetics enter into it, the grasp of function gets very diluted.

Reactions: Chris
I'm curious if anyone has ever actually used these (or know anyone that has) - or are the answers just opinions/guesses based on looking at the photo?
They appear very similar to the ones that are bolted on the rear bumper of my JK and i've been using them (too much, sadly) for 5 years - and not one has snapped, bent, or launched at anything..

IDK, but I like D rings because you can take them off and use them in rigging for yourself or others. At least keep a couple in recovery bag?

That is a monstrous "IF". Monstrous because aesthetics are very subjective, function is not. As soon as the aesthetics enter into it, the grasp of function gets very diluted.

Curious, is their a functional reason why you prefer hooks instead?

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Curious, is their a functional reason why you prefer hooks instead?
I don't have a preference. If I were to pick one, the nod would go towards a shackle but the vast majority of shackle mounts are made incorrectly so that defeats any advantage. Hooks are more than fine and we have never had a single hook related issue.

Whether those are any good, I don't know. However the majority of farm machinery I pulled behind a tractor used a Clevis/Pin system to attach it, unless it hooked to the 3 point system.

So the concept is beyond sound and only limited by the specific design. If it's a cheap design it will break. If it's a sound design it won't.

If you're relatively rural, look at a farm supply store like Tractor Supply or Orscheln's. They'll sell high quality pins and D rings in various configurations. Stuff that's meant to pull equipment way bigger and heavier than anything most people would encounter operating a vehicle. It's probably cheaper too. Just make sure to read the specifications.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/clevis

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris