Bolt Size Metalcloak Oil Pan Skid Install

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
Trying to install a Metalcloak Oil Pan Skid Plate https://metalcloak.com/oil-pan-skid-plate-for-4-0l-jeep-tj-lj.html
The front attaches to the engine block but the included hardware (3/8" x16) doesn't seem to fit the threaded holes - it starts but only goes a couple treads in. I have tried every size and thread pitch anywhere close but none work? Anyone know what size fits here? Any chance it is a tapered hole - I have not put a wrench on it for fear of stripping it? I am to the point of trying to tap it.....
Skid 1.JPG

Skid hole.jpg

Skid hole 2.jpg

Skid hole 3.jpg

Skid 1.JPG

My OBA came with both 3/8" and m10 bolts and said to use whichever fit the engine bosses better. m10 being slightly bigger I believe.

But I'd return that skid as all the impact will go into the engine bosses. A better design would use the frame as the support and connect to the TC skid, instead of the bell housing which is aluminum. I'd much rather replace the skids than my engine with broken bosses or trans with broken threads.

Yes sorry forgot to report back. Ran a tap through it and fit like a glove but there was 18 years of gunk and some rust in there. I did take my time because the tap was super tight - I blew it out good and used plenty of cutting oil. Go a few turns, blow it out, add oil, rinse & repeat.

Yes, it was the stock bolt size. I just needed to run a tap in it to clean it out. Once I did that they worked like a champ.

Reactions: TheRock
Yes, it was the stock bolt size. I just needed to run a tap in it to clean it out. Once I did that they worked like a champ.

I know the question wasn’t necessarily directed to me but I had the same experience as @Rick2004LJ. I had to run a tap and blow gunk out. Then the bolts threaded in no problem.

It sounds like this is pretty normal and it’s not at all surprising. Still, probably wouldn’t hurt if MetalCloak added a pro-tip recommending to chase the threads prior to attempting install.